• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Some Quotes about going "bankrupt" (Medicare/social security)

David_N

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Hmmm... Maybe we should recognize that we're not in danger of going bankrupt on anything.
April 6, 1992 – “The new siren is a frank and gloomy assessment that the national trust fund that pays hospital bills for 34 million Americans on Medicare will be broke in 10 years.” The would be George H.W. Bush telling us that Medicare would be broke in 2002.
January 9, 1984 – “Some adjustments are needed to head off bankruptcy in the Medicare system. The trust fund that helps pay doctor and hospital bills for 29 million Americans will run out of money by 1990 if nothing is done” That would be President Reagan saying that Medicare would be broke by 1990.
June 20, 1980 – “Unless Congress acts, the Social Security fund will run out of money to pay retirement and survivors’ benefits by late 1981 or early 1982, the funds government trustees reported Thursday.”
May 6, 1978 – “The social security trust funds that pay benefits to retired and disabled workers will be in good shape for several more decades but the fund that pays hospital insurance under Medicare will go broke by 1990, the trustees told Congress today.” That would be President Jimmy Carter again with a “go broke date of 1990.
August 30, 1960 – “That the [Medicare] bill passed was totally uninformed and almost totally irrational made no difference; the Democratic Presidential candidate can cry that he wanted to do more the old folks and the Republican candidate can say that the Congress might have done less if he hadn’t been so busy…We said that he bill was total uninformed, and it is…Nobody knows what it is right to do about medical aid to the aged because nobody has determined how many need help….Moreover, the political promoters have not had the courage to declare bluntly that everybody at age 65 receive a government health stipend, regardless of need…”
Oct. 8, 1940 – Republican Presidential candidate Wendell Willkie addressed social security – “…I want to say this in connection with social security that unless there is a change in administration those people who are presently paying into social security fund will never get any benefit there from…If it continues down the present path it will eventually bankrupt this country. We are bound to have either bankruptcy or inflation, and I say it very solemnly that those who are paying in on their social security will never get the principal of the social security when they need it in their old age…”

So they're now saying social security and medicare will be "bankrupt" in however many years.. Makes me laugh! First it was the 1981/1982, then 1990, then 2002!

Who cares? The programs shouldn't even exist in the first place.

What does this have to do with the OP? Other then that you hate government.

It has to do with the programs mentioned in the OP. :shrug:

Hard to go bankrupt when the Federal government can use it's banker-created Federal Reserve system to create and destroy worthless money any time they need to.

You can only go bankrupt when there is a shortage of something that has real value so you can't pay your bills.

Hard to go bankrupt when the Federal government can use it's banker created Federal Reserve system to create and destroy worthless money

It's nice to know that you understand that a sovereign currency issuer can't go bankrupt or fail to make payments when something is denominated in its own currency. Hey, my money isn't worthless, a $100 FRN can buy me a lot of food.

It's nice to know that you understand that a sovereign currency issuer can't go bankrupt or fail to make payments when something is denominated in its own currency. Hey, my money isn't worthless, a $100 FRN can buy me a lot of food.

South America does it all the time.

Hmmm... Maybe we should recognize that we're not in danger of going bankrupt on anything.

When do they say welfare and foreign aid will go bankrupt ? :roll:

If money didn't have what it was worth printed on it, what do you think it would go for?

Social Security was within months of insolvency in 1983 - that was after President Carter promises that his changes in 1977 would keep the system solvent for 50 years. It was fixed in 1983 by Congress agreeing that people who had no vote in 1983 would pay the taxes necessary to keep it afloat for the people who could vote.

Social Security was within months of insolvency in 1983 - that was after President Carter promises that his changes in 1977 would keep the system solvent for 50 years. It was fixed in 1983 by Congress agreeing that people who had no vote in 1983 would pay the taxes necessary to keep it afloat for the people who could vote.

Nonsense. The United States is a currency issuer and there is no "saved money" for social security.

If money didn't have what it was worth printed on it, what do you think it would go for?

Very sane question. I wouldn't expect a sane answer. Keep in mind.... MMT is to economics what drunk driving is to NASCAR

Back
Top Bottom