• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Some Iraq, Afghanistan war veterans criticize movie 'Hurt Locker' as inaccurate

texmaster

Hippie Hater
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
In an interview, Rieckhoff said the anger about "Hurt Locker" stems not so much from such small inaccuracies -- for example, the uniforms the soldiers wear in the film weren't available until well after the time the story took place -- but rather from the depiction of the main character, Sgt. 1st Class William James.

Portrayed by Jeremy Renner, who's nominated for Best Actor, James is a daredevil who in one scene takes off his protective armor while disarming a bomb because, as he says, "If I'm going to die, I'm going to be comfortable." He runs alone through the streets of Baghdad with his sweat shirt hood up like a gangster. Later, he takes two soldiers hunting for insurgents in Baghdad's back alleys without any backup.

James's fellow soldiers are, or try to be, by-the-book professionals. They call James "rowdy" and "reckless," and one worries out loud that his leader's crazy antics are "going to get me killed." James is as much cowboy as soldier, and vets fear he could become an iconic figure in the American imagination should the movie win a bunch of statues.

"Films, almost more than anything, will be the way Americans understand our war," Rieckhoff said. "So we feel that there is a responsibility for filmmakers to portray our war accurately. We see ourselves as watchdogs. . . . When he puts a hood on like Eminem and starts roving outside the wire, it's ridiculous."

Gallucci, a former sergeant who served in Iraq from 2003 to 2004, says he kept hoping James would get "blown up throughout the entire movie. I wanted to see his poor teammates get another team leader, who was actually concerned about their safety."

Some Iraq, Afghanistan war veterans criticize movie 'Hurt Locker' as inaccurate

Gotta love it when critics think they know more than the actual soliders on the ground :roll:

waiittt

Sometimes the film industry does not accurately portray people?

The horrorrrr

It's a movie, not really a documentary. Like those things they say "based on a true story". It may be based in one, but it's hardly a true story in and of itself. All things which go through Hollywood are most likely going to get a twist like that in order to make the movie more exciting and what have you. I mean hell, Real Genius wasn't an accurate portrayal of graduate school either.

Thought it was a decent movie but there were glaring discrepancies and totally BS scenes.

I did respect the objectivity and it didnt try to be anything else but an action movie.

Back
Top Bottom