• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Some fun with Australian English vs British vs American English.

American English is very literal at times which is sometimes amusing. Like changing Horse riding to " Horseback Riding" just in case you were ever confused as to how one would ride a horse :mrgreen:

This SNL/Kate McKinnon, James McAvoy sketch always cracks me up.. speaking of accents:

Priceless!

My wife's first language is Spanish. My ONLY language is English. Language can be interesting and comical.

American English is very literal at times which is sometimes amusing. Like changing Horse riding to " Horseback Riding" just in case you were ever confused as to how one would ride a horse :mrgreen:
“Tuna fish” is one that makes me laugh. We know it’s a fish.

“Tuna fish” is one that makes me laugh. We know it’s a fish.

Don't people in commonwealth countries say, "Ink Pen", instead of just "pen"? Does that mean there are writing implements called "pens" in England that don't use ink?

Don't people in commonwealth countries say, "Ink Pen", instead of just "pen"? Does that mean there are writing implements called "pens" in England that don't use ink?
I have never heard that term before (Commonwealth resident here). So I looked it up. Apparently, it used to be an Irish term and was brought to the southern US. It is no longer used in Ireland, but is still used infrequently in the south.

Who has it backwards, the Brits or us?
We say the MS river, the OH river... the Brits say River Thames, River Tyne...

I have never heard that term before (Commonwealth resident here). So I looked it up. Apparently, it used to be an Irish term and was brought to the southern US. It is no longer used in Ireland, but is still used infrequently in the south.

I went to school in Aus as a kid. I remember my form 3 teacher saying it all the time - now, having said that she was legitimately insane.

I went to school in Aus as a kid. I remember my form 3 teacher saying it all the time - now, having said that she was legitimately insane.
Lol, that makes sense, there was a ton of Irish immigrants to Australia.
Do you remember the word chesterfield? I used to hear that word when I was young but it is no longer in use.
Most people say Sofa or couch now.

Lol, that makes sense, there was a ton of Irish immigrants to Australia.
Do you remember the word chesterfield? I used to hear that word when I was young but it is no longer in use.
Most people say Sofa or couch now.

No, never heard that term. We had a Scottish girl as a day care provider as a kid. I remember we watched the Apollo 11 moon launch on "the telly" with her.

My favorite is wanker. I just love that word. I say it and I get all sorts of looks. The looks I get when I call someone a bloody wanker, in an Australian accent no less is hilarious. I get the cocked head confused look. Its funny as hell. Another one I love is muppet. Not moppet, muppet. British slang for idiot. Thats a good one. Moppet means small child.
Hah! Sound a little like "geezer"! Which isn't so bad as the Yank "geiser", which implies an old decrepit man, and is fairly derogatory.

Hah! Sound a little like "geezer"! Which isn't so bad as the Yank "geiser", which implies an old decrepit man, and is fairly derogatory.

I wouldn't call someone a wanker in public, esp in places where they know what it means.

One trick i have found useful on this site is to spell my words in english rather than american. Such as using ise instead of ize, as in finalise. Or spell words such as colour instead of color.

The reason this is handy is because if i get into a debate with someone and at some point, as has happened, they start to complain that i cannot even spell words properly then i know that it is time to end the discussion as they have reached rock bottom and can find nothing to say except point out that they do not even understand the english language let alone whatever was being discussed.

Back
Top Bottom