• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Some conservatives are still moving to stop Trump at the GOP convention

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Angered by Trump’s shifting views on taxes, the minimum wage, national security and how little he discusses social issues, conservatives across the country are studying the party rule book for last-ditch moves they could make when the convention begins in Cleveland.

Veteran Republican campaign operatives familiar with convention planning are offering to educate delegates on how they can act as free agents, even if the Republican National Committee insists that delegates adhere to the results of their state primary. Some even talk about convening somewhere other than the convention site.

Because, when you don't get your own way, try to change the rules. But I have to admit, this is a good move for the party. Trump in no way represents the GOP. And, since he is not really a Republican, then why not attempt to replace him with a Republican. Actually, I can see the logic behind this, but it would be a very dangerous move, and pretty much put an end to GOP presidential aspirations for a generation, if successful.

Article is here.

Oh good, because the GOP needs to make a bigger mess of things. :roll:

I don't blame them. Trump is such a disaster. His court date for fraud is November 28, 2016. If he’s elected, he’ll be the first president-elect to go on trial for fraud before he can even be sworn in! Ha!

They really need to stop effing around and get behind the candidate. Otherwise they are just helping Hillary with her campaign.

Trump in no way represents the GOP.

Sure he does:
Racist: check
Misogynist: check
Favors massive tax cuts for the rich: check
Ignorant about basic economics: check
Belligerent foreign policy: check
Anti-abortion: check

Sure looks like a Republican to me

I sort of hope they do just because up until now the Republican Party has been handling this election cycle in a much more democratic fashion than the Democratic Party has and that just messes with my head. If the Republicans were to show they cared as little about the democratic process as the Democrats, things would seem right with the world again.

I don't blame them. Trump is such a disaster. His court date for fraud is November 28, 2016. If he’s elected, he’ll be the first president-elect to go on trial for fraud before he can even be sworn in! Ha!

Meh... he's so removed from the actual day to day work of anything I'd bet he wouldn't be anywhere near in trouble for it even if it did go bad for trump university.

Nope. Nixon was in trouble for campaign contribution scandal, the trial was moved until after the election. Nixon won the election, the trial went off in silence, virtually no press reporting, and Nixon had to pay back a bunch of money as President. Then there was the Milk Fund scandal. Same thing, held off til right after election day. Nixon was re-elected and that one virtually disappeared.

Because, when you don't get your own way, try to change the rules. But I have to admit, this is a good move for the party. Trump in no way represents the GOP. And, since he is not really a Republican, then why not attempt to replace him with a Republican. Actually, I can see the logic behind this, but it would be a very dangerous move, and pretty much put an end to GOP presidential aspirations for a generation, if successful.

Article is here.

Nah, this was before it looked like he would have enough pledged delegates. It's not the party leadership insisting the delegates cast their vote one way or the other. That's all about the second and subsequent ballots. It's the states and their election law that requires the delegates vote according to the states' primary results on the first ballot.

Trump will have more than the required majority of pledged delegates. They must vote for him on the first ballot. And that's all it takes, there can be no subsequent balloting.

The reason Trump is so popular is the concept that he might clean up Washington at least to some degree and that is more important than policies and issues. I would vote for a monkey if the monkey would at least start identifying and fixing corruption. The problem is the political establishment. The biggest mistake would be to give the power to the corrupt establishment. We've been doing that for a long time and just getting more and worse government.

Nope. Nixon was in trouble for campaign contribution scandal, the trial was moved until after the election. Nixon won the election, the trial went off in silence, virtually no press reporting, and Nixon had to pay back a bunch of money as President. Then there was the Milk Fund scandal. Same thing, held off til right after election day. Nixon was re-elected and that one virtually disappeared.

Yeah, Nixon was one helluva great American. Everyone loved him and everyone wishes he could be our next president. :non-working vomit icon:

Nah, this was before it looked like he would have enough pledged delegates. It's not the party leadership insisting the delegates cast their vote one way or the other. That's all about the second and subsequent ballots. It's the states and their election law that requires the delegates vote according to the states' primary results on the first ballot.

Trump will have more than the required majority of pledged delegates. They must vote for him on the first ballot. And that's all it takes, there can be no subsequent balloting.

And THAT is the rule that these desperados want to change.

I sort of hope they do just because up until now the Republican Party has been handling this election cycle in a much more democratic fashion than the Democratic Party has and that just messes with my head. If the Republicans were to show they cared as little about the democratic process as the Democrats, things would seem right with the world again.

Wassamatta? Your boy losing? Hillary has millions more votes than Sanders has. Deal with it.

The reason Trump is so popular is the concept that he might clean up Washington at least to some degree and that is more important than policies and issues. I would vote for a monkey if the monkey would at least start identifying and fixing corruption. The problem is the political establishment. The biggest mistake would be to give the power to the corrupt establishment. We've been doing that for a long time and just getting more and worse government.

Then the Republican voting population is packed with more slack-jawed imbeciles than I thought. Trump isn't going to do anything that undermines his own business interests.

Wassamatta? Your boy losing? Hillary has millions more votes than Sanders has. Deal with it.

I am dealing with it. I'm dealing with it by bitching on the internet. :)

Sure he does:
Racist: check
Misogynist: check
Favors massive tax cuts for the rich: check
Ignorant about basic economics: check
Belligerent foreign policy: check
Anti-abortion: check

Sure looks like a Republican to me

Except he is for abortion, always has been, for single payer health care, and actually has flipped flopped on raising taxes today, saying the rich needs to pay more, oh and he wants to raise the minimum wage.

sounds like a democrat to me.

OMG. Right. Trump. The big anti-corruption crusader! A man who knows NOTHING about public policy or program administration, who has a long, long record of corruption and bankruptcies and can't give a straightforward honest answer to the most simple question if his life depended on it. He's going to be your noble champion against corruption! What could go wrong!?!

Except he is for abortion, always has been, for single payer health care, and actually has flipped flopped on raising taxes today, saying the rich needs to pay more, oh and he wants to raise the minimum wage.

No. You see, with Trump you gotta keep up. He used to be pro-choice, but then when he decided to run for President as a Republican (because Democrats can't stand the son-of-a-bitch), then he flip-flopped to be anti-abortion. He says he "evolved." He even said that women should be punished, until his handlers advised him to shut it about that.
The fact of the matter is you can't run for president as a Republican and support a woman's right to choose. You just can't. I'm surprised anyone in America doesn't know that.

As for the "rich paying more," first he said that, then he got serious about being a Republican and proposed a HUGE tax cut for the rich--go to his website and check it out--but recently said the rich would have to pay, but actually meaning more than the huge tax cut he proposed but still less than they pay now. I know, he's confusing. Because he's confused. He's a clown. He makes Sarah Palin look wise and informed.

Raise the minimum wage? Well first he said we need to reduce wages so we can compete with the rest of the world. Then maybe his handlers advised him that that wasn't a smart thing to go around saying these days. What does he really believe? It depends on who's in the crowd when he's asked the question.

Last edited:

Of course he is. He is a Trojan horse.

OMG. Right. Trump. The big anti-corruption crusader! A man who knows NOTHING about public policy or program administration, who has a long, long record of corruption and bankruptcies and can't give a straightforward honest answer to the most simple question if his life depended on it. He's going to be your noble champion against corruption! What could go wrong!?!

He's not my answer to anything nor would I vote for him. I'm trying to explain his popularity. Apparently I didn't explain it well enough for you. People who do vote can vote for the person you describe or a nasty, unlikeable, incompetent criminal. Take your pick. I'm embarrassed for our country.

Then the Republican voting population is packed with more slack-jawed imbeciles than I thought. Trump isn't going to do anything that undermines his own business interests.

Congratulations for finding a clear crystal ball.

And THAT is the rule that these desperados want to change.

And once again that is not a party or convention rule - that is a state rule, in every state. It's how delegates are allocated from state's primary elections. The rule is decided before the primaries, not after.

Yeah, Nixon was one helluva great American. Everyone loved him and everyone wishes he could be our next president. :non-working vomit icon:

Not the issue at discussion. But he was a damn sight better in many regards than anything we've had since.

Not the issue at discussion. But he was a damn sight better in many regards than anything we've had since.

Yea, that's the ticket. Crooks for presidents. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom