• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Solar Roofing Systems

sanman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I thought this looked interesting:

What are the opinions on which are the best solar roofing systems available on the market?

Im actually planning to build a house at a beachfront property I own and looked into solar power. After speaking to an engineer I wouldnt bother for the following reasons:

- If you want to divest yourself from the grid, then you have to reserve a whole room in your house for battery storage, and these will degrade over time. It will get to the point where costs of buying new batteries will be more than just paying your electric bills. Let's not forget that these things are a major fire hazard.

- You only get good energy during clear days. Overcast or cloudy days could bring down your generation all the way to near zero.

Those two factors alone is proof enough that it aint practical.

Im actually planning to build a house at a beachfront property I own and looked into solar power. After speaking to an engineer I wouldnt bother for the following reasons:

- If you want to divest yourself from the grid, then you have to reserve a whole room in your house for battery storage, and these will degrade over time. It will get to the point where costs of buying new batteries will be more than just paying your electric bills. Let's not forget that these things are a major fire hazard.

- You only get good energy during clear days. Overcast or cloudy days could bring down your generation all the way to near zero.

Install a nuke reactor, much more efficient. :p

Reactions: PoS

That assumes the goal is to become grid free, which is not what most solar roof systems are designed to do.

Since there were no cost savings over the rack mounted system, it mainly comes down to appearance (emphasized in the video). Also mentioned was being able to walk on (more of) the roof - but for what?

Not mentioned was heat transfer through the home’s roof into the attic (or ceiling) space. That is significantly reduced with rack mounted systems (due to the air gap between the solar panels and the roof decking) and is apt to be (significantly?) increased by having a black shingled roof.

The solar panel efficiency degradation over time problem still exists with either system, but a rack mounted system over metal roofing (which lasts far longer than shingles) would seem to be the best for the ease (and lower cost) of replacing only the degraded (or otherwise damaged) solar panels.

Last edited:
That assumes the goal is to become grid free, which is not what most solar roof systems are designed to do.

Since there were no cost savings over the rack mounted system, it mainly comes down to appearance (emphasized in the video). Also mentioned was being able to walk on (more of) the roof - but for what?

Not mentioned was heat transfer through the home’s roof into the attic (or ceiling) space. That is significantly reduced with rack mounted systems (due to the air gap between the solar panels and the roof decking) and is apt to be (significantly?) increased by having a black shingled roof.

The solar panel efficiency degradation over time problem still exists with either system, but a rack mounted system over a metal roofing (which lasts far longer than shingles) would seem to be the best for the ease (and lower cost) of replacing only the degraded solar panels.
We had solar in our last home in California. With a family of 4 and two teens always connected and me with the washer / dryer, dishwasher, pool etc we always were consuming more than we were producing. It wasn't a good financial decision for us in the end. Just our experience not to say it doesn't work great for others.

We had solar in our last home in California. With a family of 4 and two teens always connected and me with the washer / dryer, dishwasher, pool etc we always were consuming more than we were producing. It wasn't a good financial decision for us in the end. Just our experience not to say it doesn't work great for others.

The amount of power used does not change the amount of “free” power generated (added?) by the solar panel system. If the solar system generated excess power which could not be sold or stored then that would be a bad financial decision.

I thought this looked interesting:

What are the opinions on which are the best solar roofing systems available on the market?

Thanks for the advertisement link

Back
Top Bottom