• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Solar energy can now be stored for up to 18 years, say scientists

Not 17 and not 19 but 18 years.

OK, but many things “look very promising”.

“So far, we have only generated small amounts of electricity, but the new results show that the concept really works. It looks very promising.”

The device could potentially replace batteries and solar cells, fine-tuning the way we use the sun’s abundant energy.

If it releases the energy as heat, the path back to electricity is very poor efficiency.

An article or study on any energy storage technology that omits mention of round-trip efficiency is… a worthless one.

In other news, I have come up with a way to use solar energy to move a boulder to the top of a mountain plateau where that potential energy will remain available for use for 773 years.

I win. Suck it, Sweden!

I want to say Sunfire Energy already has something that does this.
Sunfire CLIMATE-NEUTRALITY
I do not think they can store pure hydrogen for years and years, but perhaps for several months.
Anyway the process is that they have a high efficiency way to break down water into hydrogen,
and then can use a fuel cell to make the electricity again, I think I read in one of their earlier papers the
round trip efficiency was about 40%, which would be amazing.

An article or study on any energy storage technology that omits mention of round-trip efficiency is… a worthless one.

In other news, I have come up with a way to use solar energy to move a boulder to the top of a mountain plateau where that potential energy will remain available for use for 773 years.
Have you notified Sisyphus?
I win. Suck it, Sweden!
Sweden is kicking our ass. Higher life expectancy, lower infant mortality, better student scores in science and math, universal healthcare, a higher standard of living...

Back
Top Bottom