• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Soda & humidity

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I guess this would fit in science. :2razz:

Does it make sense that an open soda would go flat faster during times of higher humidity? If so, what would cause this?

I would say yes, but probably not noticeably.

When you open a soda, the carbon-dioxide (carbonation) starts getting released into the air due to the pressure differences between the bottle and ambient air. The more humid the air is, the lighter the air pressure becomes. This makes the differential pressure higher because ambient pressure is now lower, which would speed up your decarbonation.

I guess this would fit in science. :2razz:

Does it make sense that an open soda would go flat faster during times of higher humidity? If so, what would cause this?
Temps and pressures are the only things that really make a difference in the solubility of CO2 in water. I think you might be missing part of the information needed, so I'll make one assumption and go from there. IF it's warm out and the soda is cold, then a higher humidity will mean more water condensing from the air onto the soda container, which in turn warms the soda more and makes the CO2 less soluble. Under those conditions higher humidity would cause the soda to go flat faster.

Solubility of Gases in Water | EngineeringToolbox.com

Date is 09/9/2023 name is Corey C. It has been about 92-97 degrees the pass 4 days with a humidity between 64% to 89%. I find myself * opening * more Soda's and not fully drinking them. Pepsi cans, fridge temp. Nice, brisk and cold. Within a few minutes of opening said can(s), they go flat. Completely loose their fizz. Call Pepsi Cola and they took the can serial numbers and said they will refund me a box but said they were made less then a week and a half ago. They confirmed that humidity can flatten soda rather quickly in a can, slower rate in a plastic bottle but best bet would be glass bottles cause of the chemical reaction that takes place after it opens so it stays fresh longer.

Now throw altitude into the mix.

When flying in the Navy sodas would go flat faster when airborne. (Cabin pressure around 5,000 feet.)

WW

Back
Top Bottom