• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Society and Policy running in opposite directions UK

Tim the plumber

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
20,000 children sent to faith schools against parental preferences - National Secular Society

You can see why us none-religious feel that our lives are invaded by the claptrap of the God botherers.
That's a somewhat dishonest conclusion. When UK parents apply for schools, they list their choices in order of preference. They can choose to list only one school if they want. The children will only be assigned automatically to a school the parents actively listed so if the parents specifically object to the idea of a religious school (or any particular school) they can just not list it at all.

The fact is that many non-religious parents won't object to many religious schools, especially given that in the UK, the religious aspects of such schools are often very light touch. It isn't a major factir in their decision either way, they just want an academically successful and safe place for their children. I'm personally not a huge fan of religious schools as a concept but I don't see it as a massive issue and there are other aspects of schooling (including some of the specifically extreme religious schools) which are a much higher priority.

That's a somewhat dishonest conclusion. When UK parents apply for schools, they list their choices in order of preference. They can choose to list only one school if they want. The children will only be assigned automatically to a school the parents actively listed so if the parents specifically object to the idea of a religious school (or any particular school) they can just not list it at all.

The fact is that many non-religious parents won't object to many religious schools, especially given that in the UK, the religious aspects of such schools are often very light touch. It isn't a major factir in their decision either way, they just want an academically successful and safe place for their children. I'm personally not a huge fan of religious schools as a concept but I don't see it as a massive issue and there are other aspects of schooling (including some of the specifically extreme religious schools) which are a much higher priority.

I see it as no good reason why there should be any link between a state school and any religion. Just getting their insidious tenticles in early.

I see it as no good reason why there should be any link between a state school and any religion. Just getting their insidious tenticles in early.
I kind of agree, but that doesn't justify the misinformation from the secular society, which is what the thread is about. Do you understand why their presentation of the English school choice system is misleading?

I kind of agree, but that doesn't justify the misinformation from the secular society, which is what the thread is about. Do you understand why their presentation of the English school choice system is misleading?

Having your children put in a position of doing prayers every day to a god they are then told is 100% to be the center of the universe which is against your beliefs is fairly forcably nasty.

Often these schools are set up in direct opposition to the voice and wishes of teh locals. The stae is being hijacked.

Having your children put in a position of doing prayers every day to a god they are then told is 100% to be the center of the universe which is against your beliefs is fairly forcably nasty.

Often these schools are set up in direct opposition to the voice and wishes of teh locals. The stae is being hijacked.
Maybe you should start a thread about that then. You're still ignoring the dishonesty in your OP source. You (and they) are not doing your cause any favours with that.

I went to a Christian primary school and I'm an Atheist and it doesn't bother me.
It's a good school and to be honest that's all that really matters in the end. While it was a Christian school and we had to go to church now and again and there was an RE class it wasn't heavy handed about forcing me to be religious but I think that's just British reserve kicking in more than anything.
If a school has good teachers and gets good results I'm not bothered about it being religious as long as they don't try and forcefully convert students.

On the whole though the UK really isn't very religious and certainly not compared to the USA and it's never been an issue for me at least.

Back
Top Bottom