• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Social Security

maton559

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Hello everyone. I have been reading this site for a while and just recently joined. I would like to ask a non-political question, and you all seem to be quite informed people. I was at the bank the other day and was going to open a new account. There was a problem though, my sister has already used my soc security number for her account (accidentally, thinking it was her own.) I was told that if I tried to open the account, then I would be red-flagged and both of our accounts would be shut down. I had my soc security card, but she did not have hers. She has left for Indonesia for three weeks and I would very much like to be able to deposit my money in the new bank in the mean time. Is there any way around this?

Hello everyone. I have been reading this site for a while and just recently joined. I would like to ask a non-political question, and you all seem to be quite informed people. I was at the bank the other day and was going to open a new account. There was a problem though, my sister has already used my soc security number for her account (accidentally, thinking it was her own.) I was told that if I tried to open the account, then I would be red-flagged and both of our accounts would be shut down. I had my soc security card, but she did not have hers. She has left for Indonesia for three weeks and I would very much like to be able to deposit my money in the new bank in the mean time. Is there any way around this?

Have your sister arrested for identity theft.

Is there some reason that your account must be at this particular bank? You could always go to another (I would think). Also, just curious- why doesn't your sister know her own SS number? That seems rather odd to me.

Well she does know it now, but apparently she needs to prove that this is her number, I dont know why they did not make her prove the original number. I would be willing to go to another bank, but I did not know if having to accounts linked to the same soc sec number would be a problem. Thank you for the reply.

You're welcome.

Honestly, I don't know if it would be a problem going to another bank, but it seems that as long as you can prove that you are the legitimate "owner" of your social security number, you should be okay. I haven't been to another bank in 20+ years, so I may be full of it, and just don't know it.:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom