• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Social Security recipients are set to receive a major increase in monthly benefits

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

The Social Security Administration’s annual cost of living adjustment is based on inflation readings, and inflation has seen 40-year highs for months.

Social Security recipients struggling with higher inflation are likely to get a major boost in their monthly benefits starting next year.

Thanks to the high inflation reading for July, beneficiaries could receive as much as $159 extra per month in 2023, according to a new estimate from the Senior Citizens League, a nonprofit advocacy group.
==========================================================
Great news. Now I can afford to refill my pot supply. This hike is $1,900/year.

The Social Security Administration’s annual cost of living adjustment is based on inflation readings, and inflation has seen 40-year highs for months.

Social Security recipients struggling with higher inflation are likely to get a major boost in their monthly benefits starting next year.

Thanks to the high inflation reading for July, beneficiaries could receive as much as $159 extra per month in 2023, according to a new estimate from the Senior Citizens League, a nonprofit advocacy group.

Sounds good, but let's wait and see if its offset by a part b increase.

I read something to the effect that SS increases are decided by 3rd quarter inflation readings.
The 3rd quarter runs from July through September, so we're about halfway through and inflation appears to be cooling.
As I recall, that particular article did say that a 7% increase was assured.
We'll see what happens.

I read something to the effect that SS increases are decided by 3rd quarter inflation readings.
The 3rd quarter runs from July through September, so we're about halfway through and inflation appears to be cooling.
We'll see what happens.
The repugs want to eliminate SS, Medicare & any other programs they label entitlements. That's why I vote Dem.

Almost makes up for about 65% OF THE INFLATION seniors are paying out.

How will you feel if the gop gets into the position to kill medicare and social security like they want? Will that be ok with you?
The Supremes got abortion. They are so extreme that SS & Medicare will be easy for the same reason: they are not spelled out in the Constitution.

Almost makes up for about 65% OF THE INFLATION seniors are paying out.

This is from your link "Comparatively, Americans who are 65 years and older are only spending an additional $194 per month." Pays for a little more than 65%, I think. And, inflation will slow but we'll still keep getting the extra

This is from your link "Comparatively, Americans who are 65 years and older are only spending an additional $194 per month." Pays for a little more than 65%, I think. And, inflation will slow but we'll still keep getting the extra

Which is still behind the inflation rate that your part y caused.

Sounds good, but let's wait and see if its offset by a part b increase.

Last year was a big raise too but after the exorbitant increase in the Medicare deduction it was negligible.

$194 a month? My oil bill alone is increased more than that.

We'll see what happens.
March, April, May, June ,July have all been well over 8%. There is no way inflation suddenly drops below 8% in August and September. The bump will be +8% .

The draught and excessive heat in the west has caused cattle ranchers to take their herds in to slaughter by the hundreds of thousands. Beef prices have tumbled because of the glut in the market. Go out and buy steaks now. Enjoy them because in 6 months you will not be able to buy steak without a second mortgage.

I'm going to call "bullshit" on that.
The best case scenario is some like Rick Scott want to "sunset" them and allegedly make them better. Beware beware! When something gets "sunsetted" if the votes aren't there you are in big danger. Some like Ron Johnson want to eliminate entitlement programs as "mandatory spending." Again danger Will Robinson!

Last edited:
The best case scenario is some like Rick Scott want to "sunset" them and allegedly make them better. Beware beware! When something gets "sunsetted" if the votes aren't there you are in big danger. Some like Ron Johnson want to eliminate entitlement programs as "mandatory spending." Again danger Will Robinson!

Seems like a real long shot. Im more worried about Biden selling us out to China.

Back
Top Bottom