• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Socail Issues and Christianity: ?'s and Answers

Y

y not peace?

I want to share my point of view with people here. I just joined. If we can...ask one "social" question at a time (stuff to do with gays, race, etc.).
Note: i am a firm beilever in peace and equality and will back it up to the fullest.

please ask any questions whether they be insulting or not.

Must we keep it to just one? If you'd really like the thread to take off, I'm sure I could provide more than enough material for it. Our religious views seem like polar opposites. Anyhow, I would like this answered.

Why does God force us into separate languages? Is he jealous of our success? Did arrogance overtake our lord? Did he wish to see the world-ravaging disagreements and prejudices that would arise from the different languages and culture? Why must a God so loving and caring damn us so?

Yeah, hey I have a question about Christianinty too. Why is it such a big deal that he sacrificed his son for humanity? I mean, I would do the same, and I'm not even God. Plus, Jesus knew he was the son of God. Do you really think he was worried?

He didn't even die. According to the myth, he experienced pain as the son of God rather than a normal man, knowing he would rise and would live forever after all was said and done. Not quite the feat it's made out to be. To say nothing of the fact that giving your son's "life" is nothing compared to using all that Godly power to simply wipe away our sins, not burn us forever, remove evil, give us back our common language, etc. Should God exist, he is either a hateful individual or a very imperfect being. Either way, he would exist as a far different being than we imagine him as.

Why does God force us into separate languages? Is he jealous of our success? Did arrogance overtake our lord? Did he wish to see the world-ravaging disagreements and prejudices that would arise from the different languages and culture? Why must a God so loving and caring damn us so?

Could you give me the bible verse for that one, i cant think of it off of the top of my head. It would help for a better answer (altough i didnt expect that question).

Yeah, hey I have a question about Christianinty too. Why is it such a big deal that he sacrificed his son for humanity? I mean, I would do the same, and I'm not even God. Plus, Jesus knew he was the son of God. Do you really think he was worried?

Well for one: Its such a big deal that he sacrificed his son for humanity because if he hadent sin would run unforgiven.

Two: I dont think Jesus was worried because he knew what his sacrifice was worth (earths sin).

y not peace? said:
Could you give me the bible verse for that one, i cant think of it off of the top of my head. It would help for a better answer (altough i didnt expect that question).
Having read the bible once was enough for me, I don't keep one laying around. That whole "God has a tantrum about the Tower of Babel" thing.

yea i kno what ur talkin about. but i cant recall it at the moment. to answer you question:

I think languages were a "must" for culture change. To have different cultures, languages had to be seperated aswell.

Thats the best answer i can come up with now, but its not like God is not caring..its just that when you alter the earth, their are various consequenses.

Why were different cultures a "must"? Were war and discrimination that essential to the divine plan?

SHodges said:
Why were different cultures a "must"? Were war and discrimination that essential to the divine plan?

I'm not a biblical scholar, but I can interject this...God has a rival and that is Satan. Much of the woes of man are attributed to this figure as he is the converse of God...his antithesis. It was Satan who wanted to do away with free will and God who defended it because he wanted us to have the choice to love him. The idea of Hell being a firey tormented place is actually a literary invention which is derived from Gehana, a hill outside of Jerusalem where bodies were burned. Hell in the bible is only mentioned really as being absent from God...as in the book of Peter. If you look closely at the book of Job, you see that God is actually proud of us as his creations, so much so that he feels no need to keep Satan in check because he knows our potential to overcome evil. Jesus came sort of as a completion of the Ark of the Covenant with God and to solidify man and God's pact of unity...man gives up sin, so in turn, God gave up his Son.

jallman said:
I'm not a biblical scholar, but I can interject this...God has a rival and that is Satan. Much of the woes of man are attributed to this figure as he is the converse of God...his antithesis. It was Satan who wanted to do away with free will and God who defended it because he wanted us to have the choice to love him. The idea of Hell being a firey tormented place is actually a literary invention which is derived from Gehana, a hill outside of Jerusalem where bodies were burned. Hell in the bible is only mentioned really as being absent from God...as in the book of Peter. If you look closely at the book of Job, you see that God is actually proud of us as his creations, so much so that he feels no need to keep Satan in check because he knows our potential to overcome evil. Jesus came sort of as a completion of the Ark of the Covenant with God and to solidify man and God's pact of unity...man gives up sin, so in turn, God gave up his Son.
Ridiculous. In biblical myth, it's very obvious that Satan and his apple were the ones giving us freedom and knowledge, God held us as slaves. If God gave us the "choice", he wouldn't have murdered so frequently in the old testament, he wouldn't condemn us to plagues and the apocalypse, he wouldn't have told us we couldn't eat that apple in the first place.

it's very obvious that Satan and his apple were the ones giving us freedom and knowledge, God held us as slaves. If God gave us the "choice", he wouldn't have murdered so frequently in the old testament, he wouldn't condemn us to plagues and the apocalypse, he wouldn't have told us we couldn't eat that apple in the first place.

Look at it this way:
God created all animals and life (including humans as animals). He chose an animal to rejoice his doings. That animals was humans. God told us a simple rule to live in perfect harmony and rejoice God's works. Obvisouly Adam followed Eve's sin, but here is where you got to look at it differently. Satan did not give us "freedom and knowledge", because look what that "freedom and knowledge" has gotten us. A bloody history of humanity. If Satan hadent tempted Eve then humans would have lived in harmony.

Now you are propbably thinking...Why would God let Satan in in the first place.

Here is what i think: God created all, and everythign has a destined opposite. The opposite of good is evil. To have harmony all things must be in unity. So evil must be apart of the human gift. So yes God could have ablolished evil, but then that would distrupt harmony.

That is simply what i think.

Take what you want from it, and reject everything else.

y not peace? said:
yea i kno what ur talkin about. but i cant recall it at the moment. to answer you question:

I think languages were a "must" for culture change. To have different cultures, languages had to be seperated aswell.

Thats the best answer i can come up with now, but its not like God is not caring..its just that when you alter the earth, their are various consequenses.

Just compare the language used in one place now with the same language in
the same place 100 years ago. Pick anywhere you like, and you'll find
significant change. Your great grandfather (assuming he spoke a language
with the same name as you do) would find your language very strange.
Just look at your message and you'll see how far from "standard English" it is.
Language evolves; no god is needed.

With time the changes get greater and greater. Try reading some Chaucer.

y not peace? said:
Satan did not give us "freedom and knowledge", because look what that "freedom and knowledge" has gotten us. A bloody history of humanity.

Do you really mean what you have written?

"Satan did not give us freedom and knowledge": according to your view then,
this must have been given by your god. You then say that this gift resulted
in a bloody history. Therefore you are clearly stating that the gift of your god
was a bloody history.

This seems to match the god of the OT, who wiped out people just because
they were in the way. Not very loving.

Just compare the language used in one place now with the same language in
the same place 100 years ago. Pick anywhere you like, and you'll find
significant change. Your great grandfather (assuming he spoke a language
with the same name as you do) would find your language very strange.
Just look at your message and you'll see how far from "standard English" it is.
Language evolves; no god is needed.

With time the changes get greater and greater. Try reading some Chaucer.

"no god is needed"- what u just said was completely irrelevant to your post.

explain why no god is needed if you are going to say that.

y not peace? said:
Look at it this way:
God created all animals and life (including humans as animals). He chose an animal to rejoice his doings. That animals was humans. God told us a simple rule to live in perfect harmony and rejoice God's works. Obvisouly Adam followed Eve's sin, but here is where you got to look at it differently. Satan did not give us "freedom and knowledge", because look what that "freedom and knowledge" has gotten us. A bloody history of humanity. If Satan hadent tempted Eve then humans would have lived in harmony.

Here is what i think: God created all, and everythign has a destined opposite. The opposite of good is evil. To have harmony all things must be in unity. So evil must be apart of the human gift. So yes God could have ablolished evil, but then that would distrupt harmony.

That is simply what i think.

Take what you want from it, and reject everything else.

If I look at "that way", I'll go insane trying to make sense of it all. God's a dream of good government, nothing more.

y not peace? said:
"no god is needed"- what u just said was completely irrelevant to your post.

explain why no god is needed if you are going to say that.

SHodges introduced this into the discussion when he wrote: "Why does
God force us into separate languages?" My reply shows that no god is
needed to explain separate languages. It follows on from the discussion
and so is relevant.

Thinker said:
SHodges introduced this into the discussion when he wrote: "Why does
God force us into separate languages?" My reply shows that no god is
needed to explain separate languages. It follows on from the discussion
and so is relevant.
I wasn't trying to "explain" it, I know how separate languages came about, I was referring to a story within the bible that also tried to explain it, and as usual, made God look like a jealous fool in the process.

Do you really mean what you have written?

"Satan did not give us freedom and knowledge": according to your view then,
this must have been given by your god. You then say that this gift resulted
in a bloody history. Therefore you are clearly stating that the gift of your god
was a bloody history.

This seems to match the god of the OT, who wiped out people just because
they were in the way. Not very loving.

Yes i meant what i wrote. Ultimatly God gave us knowledge becuase God created Satan. And YES you can say that Satan gave us knowledge but not freedom (we were already free to live in paradise).

anyways this has gone quite off topic of social issues and stuff but whatever its interesting to here different views.

y not peace? said:
Yes i meant what i wrote. Ultimatly God gave us knowledge becuase God created Satan. And YES you can say that Satan gave us knowledge but not freedom (we were already free to live in paradise).
God also gave us rape and murder then, out of the kindness of his heart I guess.

jallman said:
I'm not a biblical scholar, but I can interject this...God has a rival and that is Satan. Much of the woes of man are attributed to this figure as he is the converse of God...his antithesis.

Unless I'm mistaken, Satan was created by God. Therefore, God could destroy him at any time. If Satan is God's antithesis, it is only because God wants him to be. Therefore, everything that Satan supposedly does, he can only do because God made him to do it. So, everything that Satan supposedly does, is only God's will.

Apparently, God is so insecure, he had to make somebody else to take the blame for all the bad things that he wanted to happen.

jallman said:
It was Satan who wanted to do away with free will and God who defended it because he wanted us to have the choice to love him.

I've looked, where does the Bible say that God gave man free-will?

jallman said:
The idea of Hell being a firey tormented place is actually a literary invention which is derived from Gehana, a hill outside of Jerusalem where bodies were burned. Hell in the bible is only mentioned really as being absent from God...as in the book of Peter. If you look closely at the book of Job, you see that God is actually proud of us as his creations,

But, isn't pride a sin? So, how could God have pride?

jallman said:
so much so that he feels no need to keep Satan in check because he knows our potential to overcome evil. Jesus came sort of as a completion of the Ark of the Covenant with God and to solidify man and God's pact of unity...man gives up sin, so in turn, God gave up his Son.

But, if Jesus is God, what then did God give up?

SHodges said:
Ridiculous. In biblical myth, it's very obvious that Satan and his apple were the ones giving us freedom and knowledge, God held us as slaves. If God gave us the "choice", he wouldn't have murdered so frequently in the old testament, he wouldn't condemn us to plagues and the apocalypse, he wouldn't have told us we couldn't eat that apple in the first place.

Also, after eating the apple, why would Adam have reason to believe God on any point. After all, didn't God tell Adam, "But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." Not only didn't Adam die "in the day" that he ate the apple, he apparently lived over 900 years more.

y not peace? said:
Look at it this way:
God created all animals and life (including humans as animals). He chose an animal to rejoice his doings. That animals was humans.

Again, this points to God's pettiness. He seems to have needed an audience to tell him how great he was.

y not peace? said:
God told us a simple rule to live in perfect harmony and rejoice God's works. Obvisouly Adam followed Eve's sin, but here is where you got to look at it differently. Satan did not give us "freedom and knowledge", because look what that "freedom and knowledge" has gotten us. A bloody history of humanity. If Satan hadent tempted Eve then humans would have lived in harmony.

Satan is being nothing other than what God made him to be. Satan is doing what God made him to do, and wants him to do. Since Satan is doing God's will, why wouldn't he let him in?

y not peace? said:
Here is what i think: God created all, and everythign has a destined opposite.

But, God had no opposite until he created Satan. So, God had no "destined opposite" until he created it, for his own reasons.

y not peace? said:
The opposite of good is evil. To have harmony all things must be in unity. So evil must be apart of the human gift. So yes God could have ablolished evil, but then that would distrupt harmony.

This means that before Satan, there was no harmony. So, God created evil just to give to man.

Back
Top Bottom