• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So you think your 18 year old son is going to blow his brains out

What do you do?

• Call the police so they can confiscate the gun

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Other, specify below

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
He has a 9mm SIG Sauer P365 that you bought him for his birthday.

You ask him for his gun but he refuses.

What do you do?

What do you do?
thats illegal in America . . .

you could buy him a hunting rifle . . .

either way in this scenario im guessing the parent is involved and the kid lives in the house with the parent. Which in this case i simply take the gun and get my kid the help they need.

Other. I would call The Flash and have him move the bullet in flight to miss my son, then my son would realize how important life is and he would go on to cure all diseases and bring about world peace.

If we are playing make believe might as well have som fun with it

What do you do?
So that he can clean up his room later.

But seriously... that is certainly a strange situation, but very unlikely.

What do you do?
first of all, he's too young to be given a handgun
secondly, I wouldn't spend that sort of money on a kid who might be a bit loony tunes.

Other. I would call The Flash and have him move the bullet in flight to miss my son, then my son would realize how important life is and he would go on to cure all diseases and bring about world peace.

If we are playing make believe might as well have som fun with it
get him one of those shields in the Movie Dune. the 9mm out of a SIG 365 would be too fast to defeat the shield

I think I would distract him by pointing out just how completely ****ing disgusted he would be if some piece of shit anti-gun leftist that didnt give the first **** about him then tried to use his death as a political ploy to push gun bans.

What do you do?
Do you think race plays has a factor in the choice you would make?

Buying him the pistol at 18 would not be legal.
Actually its not. 18 year olds can legally own and purchase handguns as long as they purchase from a private sale at a federal level. . I can legally transfer a handgun to my 18 year old federally.
Some state laws may be more strict.

Last edited:
First, WHY would I buy a gun for my son or anyone who I thought might kill himself?

What do you do?
Is he in imminent danger of shooting himself? Or am I just worried that he has become depressed and might be at risk for suicide?
If he is in imminent danger of shooting himself and he refuses to hand over the firearm. I would likely try to talk him down and disarm him if I can. He would be less likely to shoot me than someone else trying to disarm him like a police officer.
Now other people.. unfortunately the best option may be to contact that police.. and hope that they have negotiators and those trained in mental health to deal with him. There is no great option here.

If on the other hand that its a situation that I am worried about his depression and is at risk for suicide.. the main thing would be to get him mental health treatment as soon as possible instead of stigmatizing him immediately by trying to take his firearms.

First, WHY would I buy a gun for my son or anyone who I thought might kill himself?
I think the point would be that you bought the firearm and that at some later date he becomes suicidal. Its actually a valid question.

I think the point would be that you bought the firearm and that at some later date he becomes suicidal. Its actually a valid question.
I would do the same thing as I would if I thought he was going to slash his wrists or od on pills.
Make sure he is not let unattended, keep him away from anything he could hurt himself with and get him professional help.

Does him using a gun to commit suicide any different then the other hundred ways he could kill himself.

I mean fior those people who are not just trying to use this to push their agenda.

I would do the same thing as I would if I thought he was going to slash his wrists or od on pills.
Make sure he is not let unattended, keep him away from anything he could hurt himself with and get him professional help.

Does him using a gun to commit suicide any different then the other hundred ways he could kill himself.

I mean fior those people who are not just trying to use this to push their agenda.
Bingo.

So that he can clean up his room later.

But seriously... that is certainly a strange situation, but very unlikely.

Sixty percent of deaths from firearms in the U.S. are suicides. In 2019, 23,941 people in the U.S. died by firearm suicide.1

That's almost half the Vietnam War causalities. Gun suicide could do it in 2 years where the Vietnam War took 10 years.

i'd lock up the guns in a safe that he doesn't have the combination to. i have the safe already.

Sixty percent of deaths from firearms in the U.S. are suicides. In 2019, 23,941 people in the U.S. died by firearm suicide.1

That's almost half the Vietnam War causalities. Gun suicide could do it in 2 years where the Vietnam War took 10 years.

Hanging/suffocation suicides would take almost four years to hit Vietnam casualty numbers.

So is he less dead if he slashed his wrists and bleeds out?

The heartlessness of you people is astounding.

Less likely to be dead if he/she chooses that method of suicide

More likely to be dead if they choose a gun as the method of suicide.

Back
Top Bottom