• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So you think electric cars are great

It will happen, but it won't happen in the next decade.

If I wanted a scooter, I would have said scooter. This is something you can take on the highway, not just town roads.
When we reach 50% of new cars sold are electric the gas stations will start to close or be converted to charging stations. But you are right the real conversion is probably a decade away. You might see "cash for energy wasters" programs before that.

SERIOUSLY: Why does ANYONE give a shit if electric cars succeed or fail?
If electric cars succeed, will they begin to attack your gas or diesel car and try to run it off the road?
Will electric car owners begin to launch attacks on gas stations?
Or how about: Will electric car owners begin ATTACKING gasoline car owners* the way anti-mask people attack mask wearers?

Show me on the doll where the electric car hurt you.

*By the way, there HAVE been instances where hybrid or electric car owners catch a ration of shit from gasoline/diesel owners.

It will happen, but it won't happen in the next decade.

If I wanted a scooter, I would have said scooter. This is something you can take on the highway, not just town roads.
I didn't mean you, specifically. If you (specifically) like it and can deal with its very limited range, fine. I was commenting about its general role as a commuter appliance.

When we reach 50% of new cars sold are electric the gas stations will start to close or be converted to charging stations. But you are right the real conversion is probably a decade away. You might see "cash for energy wasters" programs before that.
Like I said, not in the next decade.

I didn't mean you, specifically. If you (specifically) like it and can deal with its very limited range, fine. I was commenting about its general role as a commuter appliance.
This is the issue with electric vehicles generally--limited range and long recharge times. It's getting better, but we are still a long ways from even.

50% electric will still mean millions of ICE vehicles will be sold, so no the gas stations won't be closing, plus all the older cars will still be on the roads for a long time to come.

Also, when the government stops paying people to buy the electric cars, the sales numbers will go way down.

Also, when the government stops paying people to buy the electric cars, the sales numbers will go way down.

Which, of course, is the real fly in the ointment. We don't sell electric cars without a government tax break. We won't see real inroads of electric vehicles until they can economically compete with gas powered cars.

Back
Top Bottom