• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So you think electric cars are great

Air pollution from internal combustion engines in large metro areas is a huge problem. It's the new coal fired furnace. They gotta go. Personally, my joy of the EV is the smooth ride, rapid acceleration and quiet. I'd love to see every ****ing loud-ass Harley replaced by E-Bikes.
I give you quiet. My electric lawn mower sounds like a big fan. Getting rid of leaf blowers and line trimmers is huge step in the quiet direction.

Harleys are not so bad. It's the 2-stroke scooters that are the noise polluters around here.

Cars alone make up the bulk of CO2 emissions from transportation which was 8 Billion tons in 2018

IEA-Transport-to-2070-800x505.png

Transport-CO2-emissions-by-mode-bar-chart-800x315.png
File under who cares. The science says there is no rush and plenty of time to adapt.

I give you quiet. My electric lawn mower sounds like a big fan. Getting rid of leaf blowers and line trimmers is huge step in the quiet direction.

Harleys are not so bad. It's the 2-stroke scooters that are the noise polluters around here.

File under who cares. The science says there is no rush and plenty of time to adapt.
Voodoo science is not real. Real science says our time has run out. We are going to keep most of the fossil carbon in the ground where it belongs. It is a rope to hang ourselves.

Voodoo science is not real. Real science says our time has run out. We are going to keep most of the fossil carbon in the ground where it belongs. It is a rope to hang ourselves.

The more they misunderstand science, they more they are begging to be ignored.

After all this time, isn't that their goal?

Electing a reality-show host who abuses women and lies about virtually everything, denying science, education, and most mass media, remaining perpetually suspicious of every major institution in the world except for Fox News, enjoying their vice signaling every chance they get and, more than anything, believing themselves the biggest victims in the country, more than any minority group, political group, or social group--in the end, how are these people not crossing their fingers and praying to god that they be ignored?

Let's grant them their wish.

Look at them. What do they have to offer? What did they ever have to offer?

Yup...I have a plugin hybrid minivan that can go a little over 30 miles on electric and then the gas will engage. It gives advantages of both worlds and it's pretty nice.
So, when push comes to shove, there is a little environmentalist living inside you... Good for the future off your kids.;)

Anyone who thinks electric cars are environmentally superior is not looking at the science. While there is almost no particulate pollution, the impact of making batteries is substantial. Disposal of used batteries is an ongoing issue.

That said, there is a lot of progress toward replacing small gasoline engines, particularly two-stroke engines. These are much worse polluters than cars on a per gallon basis, plus the noise can be pollution in its own right. Work time per charge is still an issue, but reliability is top drawer. Even Walmart is carrying multiple lines of rechargeable shop and garden tools.

What I want to know is, where is the excitement over the cycles? Even Harley has a nice one.

Harley-Davidson-LiveWire-1.jpg

A $30,000 motorcycle that has a range of 95-145 miles before it needs a lengthy recharge. I'll do 250 easy just piddling around on my Triglide on a Sunday ride. 400 if I'm on the highway touring...and I'm not a real iron butt rider. I think they're having trouble finding buyers.

I think there will be problems to solve, but, people are dying of air pollution so we have to do something. Covid helped, but we can't continue a pandemic can we.

Hopefully, we work it out. We will need to be all electric so people can breath air.

I don't know about voodoo science, but climate science is very clear that change is slow, so gradual adjustments are sufficient.

A $30,000 motorcycle that has a range of 95-145 miles before it needs a lengthy recharge. I'll do 250 easy just piddling around on my Triglide on a Sunday ride. 400 if I'm on the highway touring...and I'm not a real iron butt rider. I think they're having trouble finding buyers.
That has always been the problem with electric vehicles. Its fine as a commuter, but not as a bagger.

Electric cars are indeed amazing. I don't think a strange edge case, which it appears the drivers were not operating the vehicle as they were supposed to, should be considered some massive controversy.

And hey, I'll do you the favor of actually providing a link to your story.

You think the drivers caused the car to burn for three hours?

You will be buying an E car sooner or later. Gasoline cars are not going to be made in a few years and the gas stations are going to close. Get used to it.

gas stations are not going to close for decades. Just because in 15 years an ICE car can't be sold doesn't mean they will magically disappear from the streets.

it's weird how gasoline cars have never caught on fire.

Did anybody ever say that?

Also, if an ICE car burns, can it be put out relatively quickly?

Unfortunately, electric cars just aren't there yet. If they were, we would be seeing more of them on the road. It is prob going to be 10 or 20 years before the tech is advanced enough to actually see a significant percentage of electric cars on the road. And then, it will prob be only for certain applications. For instance, I could have an electric car to drive to work each day, cause I live close to my workplace. But I couldn't use an electric car to drive down to see my brother, cause he lives too far away, and I can't get there on one charge.

What we need to see, is a married couple with two cars, one electric and one gas powered. Use the electric car for in-town trips, and the gas car for extended trips. The problem is, all the electric cars are too expensive to be a "second car", and I can't have only an electric car cause it doesn't have the range to go on extended trips.

My guess is that most of the posters here who are supporting all electric cars must live in a city where all their driving is relatively close. For many of us, the limited range kills the idea of an electric car.

You can't forget apartment dwellers probably won't have charging at home, so an electric car will be very inconvenient.

You young pups seem to think we old guys are just being negative about "the newest thing". That isn't it. We of advanced age have seen many of "the next big thing" that have failed. Electric cars just aren't there yet. If they were, they'd be more prevalent in the market. There is good reason not to be the first to jump on a new tech.

If they were, the government wouldn't have to pay you to buy one.

The upside is that it is simple and cheap to install an outtake in your own garage at home so you can just plug it in when you come home and you will have a fully charge car the next morning and can drive up to 600 km on it before you need to charge it again. Don't have to look for any gas station ..

In the US a lot of people live in apartments and they don't have the option to install a charger anywhere.

You think the drivers caused the car to burn for three hours?

No, though the fact there was nobody actually driving it likely contributed to the crash in the first place.

Well you can't pay me to get in an electric car. Only petrol cars for me. Those things never crash.

Did anybody ever say that?

Also, if an ICE car burns, can it be put out relatively quickly?
i've never set an electric car on fire next to a gasoline car, so i don't know. i suppose that we'll find out if fire extinguishing technology can adapt. the get a horse crowd probably thought internal combustion engines were horribly risky, too, back in the day.

How many on the forum has seen the report of the electric Tesla that hit a tree. It was on fire for 3 hours. Firemen couldnt put out the fire, and they even called Tesla.

The whole dam car burned to just a short pile of rubble. The whole thing turned out to be a huge HASMAT situation.
How good were ICE cars over a century ago? Electric vehicles and the accompanying technologies are still evolving, so I don't see what the point of your post is. Perhaps we could examine how many ICE cars caught fire. Ok with you? Does 212,000 pa+/- sound about right (2018 numbers)?

And automobiles have done such wonders for our air quality, and our health. Maybe going back to horses wouldn't be a bad idea.
Again in say 1900 all of our cities were full of horse schidtt!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again in say 1900 all of our cities were full of horse schidtt!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did this thread really just go from "Liberals want us to use electric cars" to "libs want us all to use horses"?

You will be buying an E car sooner or later. Gasoline cars are not going to be made in a few years and the gas stations are going to close. Get used to it.
I’m onboard with the plan to phase out gasoline powered cars as our primary means of transportation, but it will be many decades before gas stations close.

gas stations are not going to close for decades. Just because in 15 years an ICE car can't be sold doesn't mean they will magically disappear from the streets.
The demand for gasoline will go down and less and less stations will stay open. When half the cars on the road are electric half the gas stations will be closed. Many cities will ban gas powered cars too. The price of gasoline will also go up because of reduced production. Many stations will become fast charging stations instead. This will happen faster than you think too

I don't know about voodoo science, but climate science is very clear that change is slow, so gradual adjustments are sufficient.

That has always been the problem with electric vehicles. Its fine as a commuter, but not as a bagger.

If you just want a commuter bike, a moped or a scooter would be much more economical than something like the Harley Batteryglide.

The demand for gasoline will go down and less and less stations will stay open. When half the cars on the road are electric half the gas stations will be closed. Many cities will ban gas powered cars too. The price of gasoline will also go up because of reduced production. Many stations will become fast charging stations instead. This will happen faster than you think too
It will happen, but it won't happen in the next decade.

If you just want a commuter bike, a moped or a scooter would be much more economical than something like the Harley Batteryglide.
If I wanted a scooter, I would have said scooter. This is something you can take on the highway, not just town roads.

Back
Top Bottom