• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So.... will you stay or will you go, do you think?

Goshin

Burned Out Ex-Mod
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Very curious what the trends are in Britain, on the question of continued EU membership, or not...

So what do you chaps who live there think? :)

Very curious what the trends are in Britain, on the question of continued EU membership, or not...

So what do you chaps who live there think? :)

I have a strong feeling that whatever politicians may argue this is going to be a hearts and minds issue. Those who have actually made their minds up despite the pro or con arguments show that continuing membership will happen by a small margin.

There are however a large number like me who haven't made our minds up yet who (if we go out to vote) will determine the outcome. I'm personally put off by the lies both sides put out - I feel(personally) there are some big negatives to remaining within - there will always be pressure to tie exchange rates to the Euro and to EU exchange rates even if our trying to track them caused serious problems in the past. There are also huge negatives to leaving - there is no guarantee that the EU will trade on favourable terms with us.
I once thought they would (this is the argument being used by the Brexit camp) but I also think the urge to show to any other potential exit movements that it isn't worth it could happen. Most likely to be the French who push for kicking us on the way out. We may have been allies and we engaged in saving their ass in WW2 but that counts for nothing compared to giving us a kick.

Equally, the Eurozone seems to favour Germany hugely and other EU countries are paying equally hugely for this privilege. In the long term we did the right thing in staying out of the euro but being able to keep our distance from the moves towards greater integration are not guaranteed. Cameron started the renegotiation ball going but he didn't go far enough. I think what would sway my vote for or against is what the next step for the EU is in response to the general grassroots feeling that change needs to happen.

Back
Top Bottom