• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

So who would the House pick?

gavinfielder

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
If Gary Johnson can break the 15% barrier and gain the national debate stage, and then somehow manages to break the 270 for both parties, who would the House pick as our next President?

I can't imagine they would pass up the opportunity to pass up justification for dumping Trump. But if they don't pick Trump, then they also can't pick Cruz or Kasich. I wouldn't mind Paul Ryan, but I doubt he would be the pick because he's so well suited where he is.

Romney seems the most likely choice I can think of.

It could only be among those who recieved electoral votes.

I didn't know that part of it. None of what I've read up to this point did either, apparently.

I guess that makes it Trump anyway. Well that was a short thread.

My current thinking is that if the House has to decide they go Hillary unless there are a lot of citizens with pitchforks outside the building, but a lot can happen between now and then.

My current thinking is that if the House has to decide they go Hillary unless there are a lot of citizens with pitchforks outside the building, but a lot can happen between now and then.

It might be the best option for republican legislators, but there's no way they could possibly explain that to republican voters.

They would go with a Republican...and the only Republican among the top three in Electoral votes...would be Donald Trump.

What a sad situation that would be.

The Senate would choose an interim acting-president who would continue as acting-president until the House were able to select a winner.

The House...would be the newly elected House...and almost certainly would be Republican dominated in voting, because each state would have only one vote...and a majority of reps from each state would make the decision on who the state will vote for.

If Gary Johnson can break the 15% barrier and gain the national debate stage, and then somehow manages to break the 270 for both parties, who would the House pick as our next President?

I can't imagine they would pass up the opportunity to pass up justification for dumping Trump. But if they don't pick Trump, then they also can't pick Cruz or Kasich. I wouldn't mind Paul Ryan, but I doubt he would be the pick because he's so well suited where he is.

Romney seems the most likely choice I can think of.

Most likely they will vote for the one with the most electoral votes unless they are near tied. Voting otherwise would create a severe backlash servere enough to ruin both parties 4 years later.

Back
Top Bottom