• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So who shops at Wal-Mart

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I have a question for Liberals: Do you shop at Wal-Mart?

I will make a point.

1) I agree with you that billionaires don't create jobs. Consumer demand creates jobs. Economics 101. I understand that.

2) However, if you shop at Wal-Mart, which outsources jobs to China, then you are not practicing what you preach, because you are not helping to create jobs through consumer demand. If enough people refused to shop at a chain that helps to destroy jobs here in America, then we wouldn't be in the economic pickle we are in. But you have to practice what you preach.

3) While it is demand that creates jobs, where do you want to create them? Here in America, or there in China. While there is demand here, I see a lot of that demand being shipped THERE. and that is part of the problem. In America, we get what we deserve, but if you are willing to give it all away to China, then you deserve what you get.

4) If we all really put America first, we wouldn't be arguing over taxes at all. Taxes would be low, and unemployment would be less than 4%. There would be enough prosperity to go around, and there wouldn't be camps of Democrats and Republicans that are always at each others' throats.

5) But you have to act like an American for that to happen. That means buy American and not set your foot inside stores that don't give a **** about anything but profits, at whatever price has to be paid, whether it is in the blood of Chinese slaves or whether it is in money.

6) You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. If you are certain that it is demand and not billionaires that create jobs, then you have to put your money where your mouth is.

So who shops at Wal-Mart?

(Dana puts on his flame proof suit)

I don't shop at Walmart, but not for the reasons you list, but because it is too busy, too crowded, too messy, and too slow.

Edit: if I want groceries, then Kroger or Publix. If I want superstore kinda things, then Target. Anything else, somewhere else.

The new CEO has done much to fix the stores, which had been mismanaged for years, so I am back there once in awhile now. I did boycott for about 10 years, but that was 1990's mostly.

I will make a point.

1) I agree with you that billionaires don't create jobs. Consumer demand creates jobs. Economics 101. I understand that.

2) However, if you shop at Wal-Mart, which outsources jobs to China, then you are not practicing what you preach, because you are not helping to create jobs through consumer demand. If enough people refused to shop at a chain that helps to destroy jobs here in America, then we wouldn't be in the economic pickle we are in. But you have to practice what you preach.

3) While it is demand that creates jobs, where do you want to create them? Here in America, or there in China. While there is demand here, I see a lot of that demand being shipped THERE. and that is part of the problem. In America, we get what we deserve, but if you are willing to give it all away to China, then you deserve what you get.

4) If we all really put America first, we wouldn't be arguing over taxes at all. Taxes would be low, and unemployment would be less than 4%. There would be enough prosperity to go around, and there wouldn't be camps of Democrats and Republicans that are always at each others' throats.

5) But you have to act like an American for that to happen. That means buy American and not set your foot inside stores that don't give a **** about anything but profits, at whatever price has to be paid, whether it is in the blood of Chinese slaves or whether it is in money.

6) You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. If you are certain that it is demand and not billionaires that create jobs, then you have to put your money where your mouth is.

I cash my checks at walmart, because my bank has a location in walmart open 7 days, while the main branches are only mon-fri 9-5. Outside that I use tractor supply mostly for hardware, tools etc, or harbor freight. I use heb for groceries, and when I need a walmart like store, I usually go to target, because the target here is an absolute ghost town except the 35 employees who run surprise attacks asking if you need some help.

I just can not stand crowded places, my ptsd kicks in and walmart is very uncomfortable for me.

I will make a point.

A couple of times a year maybe. Usually because its open 24 hours and we need something late. For groceries its Shoprite. Club deals its BJ's. Target occasionally. Especially if I'm in the mood for a Starbucks. Kohls for clothes for the most part. Amazon more and more. Kindle downloads, music and various items like K Cups.

I don't shop at Walmart, but not for the reasons you list, but because it is too busy, too crowded, too messy, and too slow.

Pretty much the same here.

Edit: if I want groceries, then Kroger or Publix. If I want superstore kinda things, then Target. Anything else, somewhere else.

No piggly wiggly? you sure you are in georgia?

I will make a point.

Yes, it goes against my principles, but the "Buy American" movement died in the eighties. You can live on locally grown produce and raised livestock, but outside of that guaranteeing that even a small minority of what you use is made by Americans with American-made parts is not possible.

No piggly wiggly? you sure you are in georgia?

In order of distance from home: Publix ~> Target/Walmart ~> Kroger ~~> Piggly Wiggly

When I move next month, Kroger will be alot closer than any other grocery store. Less travel time means quicker getting out of scary public places and into safe haven.

I will make a point.

I shop everywhere, at many different stores for many different things, including at Walmart! I just got a great 50" flatscreen for my bedroom from them at a killer price, way cheaper than Amazon or anywhere else, and get this: 90 day return privileges and $4.95 second day shipping! Can you beat that?

But here's the deal with China: Where the hell in America are you *not* going to buy Chinese products today?

This is the new reality, my friend.

I shop everywhere, at many different stores for many different things, including at Walmart! I just got a great 50" flatscreen for my bedroom from them at a killer price, way cheaper than Amazon or anywhere else, and get this: 90 day return privileges and $4.95 second day shipping! Can you beat that?

But here's the deal with China: Where the hell in America are you *not* going to buy Chinese products today?

This is the new reality, my friend.

Some of the best deals on electronics I have found have been at kmart(are they still in business?) because they were doing so bad they were willing to take a loss to get customers. One time they sold one generation behing ipod nanos for like less than a 4th of the new ipods, and cheaper than anyone online, they did the same with tv's etc.

Some of the best deals on electronics I have found have been at kmart(are they still in business?) because they were doing so bad they were willing to take a loss to get customers. One time they sold one generation behing ipod nanos for like less than a 4th of the new ipods, and cheaper than anyone online, they did the same with tv's etc.
Kmart's still in business and still has stores near me, but as an organization they restructured and threw-off a hefty percentage of their stores.

The amazing deal with my flatscreen was the not just the next to free second-day shipping, but the 90 day return privilege via shipping or at any store!

90 day full return privileges on a flat-screen is not available anywhere else that I know of. Best Buy is 15, and Amazon is 30. I'm still blown away.

I will make a point.

I shop there and my guess is anyone that does not either lives way back in the hills or is a liar.

Kmart's still in business and still has stores near me, but as an organization they restructured and threw-off a hefty percentage of their stores.

The amazing deal with my flatscreen was the not just the next to free second-day shipping, but the 90 day return privilege via shipping or at any store!

90 day full return privileges on a flat-screen is not available anywhere else that I know of. Best Buy is 15, and Amazon is 30. I'm still blown away.

Costco.

You know, after I posted that I wondered about Costco. 'Course, you've got to be a member but it's worth it to join just for a great deal I guess.

If ammunition counts then I do. There's two Walmarts conveniently located on my way to the range and they generally have good deals on turkish .308 range ammo.

I love Walmart. It's only 2 miles away and I feel like I am on vacations in Tijuana.

When I walk up to the check out, poof, and I am in India. A truly amazing experience.

Last edited:
I love Walmart. It's only 2 miles away and I feel like I am on vacations in Tijuana.

When I walk up to the check out, poof, and I am in India. A truly amazing experience.
You forgot the part about, "And when I get home, all my stuff's from China"! :2razz:

You know, after I posted that I wondered about Costco. 'Course, you've got to be a member but it's worth it to join just for a great deal I guess.

You also get Concierge, which I have used, and was awesome:

Receive Free technical support for any Televisions, Tuner-Free Displays, Projectors, Computers, Major Appliances†,
Touchscreen Tablets, Cameras, Camcorders, MP3 Players, Home Theater Systems, DVD Players and Blu-ray Players,
Printers (Stand alone), Monitors (Stand alone), Routers, FreeMotion® and ProForm® Exercise Equipments,
or Security Camera Systems you purchase at Costco or Costco.com website.

Speak with expert level technicians
Enjoy easy-to-understand answers to your set-up and product use questions
Get troubleshooting assistance
Receive assistance purchasing TV setup/installation at Costco.com.
Obtain warranty information and assistance
English and Spanish speaking agents available
All calls are quickly answered and handled in the U.S.
This service is available exclusively for U.S. Costco members
Costco Concierge Services

Walmart is getting their act together, Costco has always been awesome to include Costco Business, Home depot for appliances, we have a regional grocer Winco that I really like, I am a pretty big fan of Cash and Carry for large quality food items (restaurant supply), Fred Meyer is really getting good.....these are where I shop locally, but like everyone else I am buying more and more online. Some things it (window blinds for example) only idiots don't buy online.

I will make a point.

Walmart is a pit of despair. I loath them.

Walmart is getting their act together, Costco has always been awesome to include Costco Business, Home depot for appliances, we have a regional grocer Winco that I really like, I am a pretty big fan of Cash and Carry for large quality food items (restaurant supply), Fred Meyer is really getting good.....these are where I shop locally, but like everyone else I am buying more and more online. Some things it (window blinds for example) only idiots don't buy online.

Only problem I see with buying restaurant supply is that most of it would go bad before I ever used it. You do get a great discount buying in those amounts, but unless you're feeding an army, your food waste is going to be astronomical.

Funny you mention Costco, though.

We consider ourselves pretty decent judges of cow parts that end-up on the grill, and I've been using a private butcher for a long time; but my wife claims the cook at one of her clients buys Costco steaks, and the steak she had there was as good or better than that from our butcher!

Only problem I see with buying restaurant supply is that most of it would go bad before I ever used it. You do get a great discount buying in those amounts, but unless you're feeding an army, your food waste is going to be astronomical.
Yeah, but restaurant supply houses can be great for pots and pans and utensils! :thumbs:

I use the optical shop at Walmart. I switched from my long time optical shop when they put a $250 price on a basic eye exam. The Walmart optical shop is right at the front door so I never need to enter the store and I don't.

I think a lot of people these days are afraid to admit they shot at Walmart, and lie their asses off about it.

Back
Top Bottom