• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

So, what vehicle should I buy?

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
7,297
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Saint Paul, MN
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Backstory:After many years of not driving (about 5), I got a car for a couple months. I live and work 3 blocks apart and hadn't needed or wanted one, but my parents are moving out of state and wanted me to use their car 'til spring. Well, whaddya know, I actually like having one. So, after I bring 'em their car in April, I'm going to buy a new one for myself.

Here's the question. What should I get? What is a politically and relatively environmentally sound car to buy? I've been looking at the hybrids and the flex fuel E-85 cars.

Any ideas/comments?
 

GarzaUK

That European Guy
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
3,682
Reaction score
625
Location
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Centrist
All I know is don't buy American hybrid cars. I heard they break down too much. But I don't know if you guys can get hands on European or Japanese models. Probably be more expensive too. That's all I know.
 

kal-el

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 22, 2005
Messages
3,412
Reaction score
8
Location
United States
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
From my experience working on cars, busting my knuckles, I would say don't purchase a Ford or a Chrysler, as those cars are a bitch to work on. But on the bright side, the only tools required to work on a ford is a slegehammer and duc tape!:lol: They tend to have all sorts of problems after the warranty expires. If I were in the market to buy a new car, it would probably be a foreign car of some type. Honda's and Subaru's tend to not really have many problems.
 

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
34,334
Reaction score
16,228
Location
A place where common sense exists
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
shuamort said:
Backstory:After many years of not driving (about 5), I got a car for a couple months. I live and work 3 blocks apart and hadn't needed or wanted one, but my parents are moving out of state and wanted me to use their car 'til spring. Well, whaddya know, I actually like having one. So, after I bring 'em their car in April, I'm going to buy a new one for myself.

Here's the question. What should I get? What is a politically and relatively environmentally sound car to buy? I've been looking at the hybrids and the flex fuel E-85 cars.

Any ideas/comments?
If you are poor like me then get a cheap car for under a $1000.If you doing quite well and hate driving to a gas station alot then get a hybrid.If moeny does not matter then get what you want.
 

Deegan

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Pinto, black, with Krager mags.....yes, that would be you exactly.;)
 

128shot

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 19, 2005
Messages
1,258
Reaction score
31
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
I'd buy a chrysler right now.


2 free years of gas? Hot dang
 
T

The Real McCoy

kal-el said:
From my experience working on cars, busting my knuckles, I would say don't purchase a Ford or a Chrysler, as those cars are a bitch to work on.
Agreed. 100%

shuamort, if you're in the market for a hybrid I'd say go with the Honda Civic.
 

SKILMATIC

Banned
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
3,407
Reaction score
0
Location
San Diego
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Here is a list to go by. Honda hybrids(ie civic or accord or insight) Toyota(ie prius). Those you cant go wrong. IMO I would get a prius just because i love toyotas but thats just me.

However, I hear in about 5 years there will many many many more to chose from. They also have suv hybrids like the toyota rx400.
 

ShullsM

Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2005
Messages
89
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I say go Honda, Nissan, or Subura. I've had luck with all of those cars and they seem to go forever. That's what makes or breaks the deal for me. I just want a car that will run into the ground.
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
I vote for the Toyota hybrid. I know several people who bought that car because Virginia allows people in hybrid cars to use HOV lanes. Anyway, they all love that car.

Toyota makes great cars. My parents have been buying Toyotas since 1984 and they have always loved their cars. My mom gave me her 1994 Camry, and it's still in fantastic shape.

You will save tons of money on gas using a hybrid, and what I am told, it has good acceleration.
 

SKILMATIC

Banned
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
3,407
Reaction score
0
Location
San Diego
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
aps said:
I vote for the Toyota hybrid. I know several people who bought that car because Virginia allows people in hybrid cars to use HOV lanes. Anyway, they all love that car.

Toyota makes great cars. My parents have been buying Toyotas since 1984 and they have always loved their cars. My mom gave me her 1994 Camry, and it's still in fantastic shape.

You will save tons of money on gas using a hybrid, and what I am told, it has good acceleration.
Yeah toyotas the shiznit
 

Billo_Really

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
A '67 Shelby GT Cobra! You need a chick magnet.
 

SKILMATIC

Banned
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
3,407
Reaction score
0
Location
San Diego
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Billo_Really said:
A '67 Shelby GT Cobra! You need a chick magnet.
Hey cumquat, he is looking for a hybrid or somehting with very few emissions and economy. Shelby offers the opposite of that. :rofl
 

alphieb

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 13, 2005
Messages
1,982
Reaction score
31
Location
Vincennes IN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Buy a 1967 Cadillac boat. It will help GM.
 

Billo_Really

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Originally posted by SKILMATIC:
Hey cumquat, he is looking for a hybrid or somehting with very few emissions and economy. Shelby offers the opposite of that.
Shows you how much I know about cars.
 

Billo_Really

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Originally posted by SKILMATIC:
I was just messin with you.
I was being truthful. When I get under the hood, I'm like Alex lost in wonderland. I hate auto-mechanics! Having to stick your fingers in places they can't go. Having to look around corners you can't get to without those telescoping mirrors. Your hands are never completely clean. And you always wind up with one more part than what you took off the car.
 

SKILMATIC

Banned
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
3,407
Reaction score
0
Location
San Diego
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Billo_Really said:
I was being truthful. When I get under the hood, I'm like Alex lost in wonderland. I hate auto-mechanics! Having to stick your fingers in places they can't go. Having to look around corners you can't get to without those telescoping mirrors. Your hands are never completely clean. And you always wind up with one more part than what you took off the car.

BWAHAHAHA! Silly but true.
 

scottyz

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Moderate
What kind of driving do you plan to do? Are you looking for utility, fuel mileage, towing capacity, comfort, speed...?

For a basic good car you should look at Honda Accords and Civics, Toyota Camrys and Accords, Mazda Protege, 3 and 6. Hyundai is getting good marks for reliablity and build quality lately plus they offer a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty. Based on my experiences I wouldn't touch an American made car from the last 30 years. Modern American trucks/vans are ok though.
 

scottyz

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Moderate
The Real McCoy said:
You could also go with a Hummer H2.
Or you could save a bundle of $$$ and buy a Tahoe or Suburban which is exactly the same thing with a different skin.
 

Missouri Mule

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 14, 2005
Messages
1,406
Reaction score
48
Location
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
I just bought my second Ford Escape this week. First one (2003) nearly trouble free (one minor recall). This time I got the Escape Hybrid. So far -- great. First tank I got 35.43 mpg. I'll will be surprised if I can't coax 40 mpg out of it and won't be surprised if I don't eventually get 50 mpg. Plenty of power (more than the regular V6). I really like the dead silence when it is sitting still in traffic or at stop lights and the engine drops to 0 rpms. It doesn't start until about 25 mph except when pulling. I've seen the rpms drop to 0 when coasting downhill at 35 mph. The brakes regenerate power to the battery which is warranteed for eight years or 100,000 miles. So I'm unconcerned about that as well. This is one well designed SUV. Small on the outside and large on the inside, even for someone like myself who is 6'6" and 265 pounds.

I've owned about a dozen new Fords and my experience has been darn near trouble free. Earlier in the year I bought a new F-150 and it's done fine. Last two tanks have gotten about 20 mpg. I can live with that for what it is designed for. My $0.02.

P.S. There is also oodles and gobs of room under the hood in the event one wants to work on it. Personally, I just have it serviced at the local Ford dealership.
 

SKILMATIC

Banned
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
3,407
Reaction score
0
Location
San Diego
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
scottyz said:
What kind of driving do you plan to do? Are you looking for utility, fuel mileage, towing capacity, comfort, speed...?

For a basic good car you should look at Honda Accords and Civics, Toyota Camrys and Accords, Mazda Protege, 3 and 6. Hyundai is getting good marks for reliablity and build quality lately plus they offer a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty. Based on my experiences I wouldn't touch an American made car from the last 30 years. Modern American trucks/vans are ok though.
I THINK HE WENT OVER THIS IN HIS ORIGINAL POST.
 

scottyz

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Moderate
SKILMATIC said:
I THINK HE WENT OVER THIS IN HIS ORIGINAL POST.
All I see is a question about hyrbrids and E85.
 
Top Bottom