• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

So what is the killing weapon worth?

22 posts in and already we see racism presented in this thread.

Oh, the humanity.

Look, I'm not saying the gun is guilty. I'm just saying that I'm glad race will not be an issue.

Look, I'm not saying the gun is guilty. I'm just saying that I'm glad race will not be an issue.

Pfft! You already threw the race card on the table.

But YOU'RE the one who brought race into this discussion. Race-baiter.

How about explaining to us how you would assume this.
Just hear me out:
Do you recall this: Limbaugh Letter Fetches $2.1 Million on eBay | Fox News ? A highly politically charged negative event was turned into a massive benefit. In that case, the object was a letter. In this case, the object is a gun. If Z were to auction that gun off for a youth charity benefit, not only would the gun sell for more, not only would the charity and the children they help benefit, but the New Black Panthers might just quietly cancel the contract out on Z.

Z would get some much needed good publicity so he can move on with life. Whenever anyone asks the buyer why they would even want to bid on something like that, they can say "it was for a good cause" and then do what they will with the gun after that. If I were pro-gun control I would bid on the gun and piggy-back on the publicity of the charity benefit, then publicly destroy the gun.

Oh come on they're not that bad. Pretty good for the price actually. I've shot a couple and while they're not tack drivers, I figured a 3" group at 15y was more than sufficient for an economy pocket gun.

the story on the Kel tech is this-after you send it back the first time it breaks, the returned gun is pretty damn reliable.

Just hear me out:
Do you recall this: Limbaugh Letter Fetches $2.1 Million on eBay | Fox News ? A highly politically charged negative event was turned into a massive benefit. In that case, the object was a letter. In this case, the object is a gun. If Z were to auction that gun off for a youth charity benefit, not only would the gun sell for more, not only would the charity and the children they help benefit, but the New Black Panthers might just quietly cancel the contract out on Z.

Z would get some much needed good publicity so he can move on with life. Whenever anyone asks the buyer why they would even want to bid on something like that, they can say "it was for a good cause" and then do what they will with the gun after that. If I were pro-gun control I would bid on the gun and piggy-back on the publicity of the charity benefit, then publicly destroy the gun.

I can see that as making some sense, though I think many would see it as a publicity stunt as a way to get better press and denounce it as such.

I am curious as to why yo directed your comment towards Serenity, though.

I can see that as making some sense, though I think many would see it as a publicity stunt as a way to get better press and denounce it as such.

I am curious as to why yo directed your comment towards Serenity, though.
It was this bit:
....i'm finding it difficult to understand why anyone would actually even want to own the gun that resulted in the young mans death....
This isn't just any gun held by some dude that killed some random person somewhere. This is THE gun held by Zimmerman himself that killed Treyvon. This gun has a story, and that's what enthusiasts want when they buy collectibles.

Buying collectibles is not about the item itself. The item just a vessel to connect to and relate with the story. When you sell something like this, you aren't selling the gun. Anyone can get that gun anywhere. You are selling a personal connection to a real event. This is why people buy old money, stamps, antique movie posters, celebrity dresses, props used in movies, etc. You aren't buying the item, it's just a vessel, you are buying a personal connection to the story.

It was this bit:

This isn't just any gun held by some dude that killed some random person somewhere. This is THE gun held by Zimmerman himself that killed Treyvon. This gun has a story, and that's what enthusiasts want when they buy collectibles.

Buying collectibles is not about the item itself. The item just a vessel to connect to and relate with the story. When you sell something like this, you aren't selling the gun. Anyone can get that gun anywhere. You are selling a personal connection to a real event. This is why people buy old money, stamps, antique movie posters, celebrity dresses, props used in movies, etc. You aren't buying the item, it's just a vessel, you are buying a personal connection to the story.

OK. I still think this would be a bad publicity act. The public is not so forgiving, even if Z was proven not guilty. It's be like OJ selling something of Nicole's and giving the proceeds to a battered woman's shelter.

The trigger pull that I experienced was horrendous.

Granted that I am a 1911 guy, but I have XDs that have very passable trigger pulls.

I suppose that the Keltec would do, but I have large hands, and they are like holding a deck of cards.

ETA - of course, if you wrap that Keltec in several hundreds, I could be persuaded.... :mrgreen:

OH... a 1911 guy. Okay, that explains your reaction.

Okay, they have these things today in 2013 called DAO triggers... double action only... like revolvers but not as stiff.... yes I'm being a smartass :)

Seriously though, if you'd grown up shooting revolvers like me, you'd think the DAO trigger on an autopistol was smooth as silk, compared to a rusty old Model 10.

About 25% over retail and that would be to the right person.

OK. I still think this would be a bad publicity act. The public is not so forgiving, even if Z was proven not guilty. It's be like OJ selling something of Nicole's and giving the proceeds to a battered woman's shelter.
OJ would have had to sell the gloves, but I get your point. it worked for Limbaugh because Limbaugh earns his living by venting the emotions of the public. Z....has no job at all.

Jerry's got a point. I've been to museums where they have on display the bullet-riddled "Bonny and Clyde" car, a pistol owned by Wyatt Earp and allegedly used in the Tombstone incident, and so on.

The object itself is less important than its connection to the story, and the better known the story is, the more valuable the object.

I don't understand the obsession and hype surrounding this one particular case so it stands to reason that i'm finding it difficult to understand why anyone would actually even want to own the gun that resulted in the young mans death.

I find it pretty sick that someone would actually want to own it, reminds me of Serial killers who need something to remind themselves of how "powerful" they are when they keep some personal item of the victim as a trophy of the kill.

I agree. I've always believed it was bad luck to own a gun that didn't spill blood in a righteous kill. While I don't believe Zimmerman broke and laws, it still wasn't a righteous kill.

Jerry's got a point. I've been to museums where they have on display the bullet-riddled "Bonny and Clyde" car, a pistol owned by Wyatt Earp and allegedly used in the Tombstone incident, and so on.

The object itself is less important than its connection to the story, and the better known the story is, the more valuable the object.

I agree. The object might be well sought after. People collect old Nazi memorabilia, not because they are Nazis but because of the story that the object connects to. Thing is, no matter what Z did, I doubt it would help his publicity issue.

So now that Zimmerman is out and free and gets his property back, I wonder what the killing weapon would fetch in a public auction?

Well, today, someone would likely pay more than the otherwise normal street value for it… But as a collector, I wouldn't…

The reason being that in 72 hours, Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman will be minor footnotes of recent history and in 72 months, few people will have thought of either one in 71 months.

At that point, all you'll have is a 9mm acp… worth about 350 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom