• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So what do you think??? Millennials????

A lot of people with that mentality have the "I'll do this until I'm 30," dream and then realize they should have went back and got a real degree. Sure, it's not too late but it only gets harder.

That and also people tend to put relationships above their education/careers to be with their significant other, which might have worked for the baby-boomers because they got married younger but I think that's also a huge factor because with the divorce rate the way it is...That also isn't working in their favor.

Because they fantasize that they are kids till 26.

Stupid useless mother****ers that they are.

Really.

EDIT: of course the parents, THE BOOMERS, are even worse.

I hate them with a passion.

Greedy, lazy, liars!

Indulging Fantasy.

With a halo.

****ers.

Really!

Last edited:
my impression : most of the people that i work with in biotech are millennials. they are fiery smart, hard workers, and they'll drop whatever they are doing to help you out or answer a question every time. completely professional. i'm a Gen Xer, and i do the same. however, to be honest, i think that they surpass the level of professionalism that i had straight out of college. i have a high opinion of my coworkers.

my impression : most of the people that i work with in biotech are millennials. they are fiery smart, hard workers, and they'll drop whatever they are doing to help you out or answer a question every time. completely professional. i'm a Gen Xer, and i do the same. however, to be honest, i think that they surpass the level of professionalism that i had straight out of college. i have a high opinion of my coworkers.

There is a nice slice of nose to the grindstone worker bees who have learned to keep their mouths shut and their minds closed and follow the rules to get ahead.

Fewer and fewer all the time though.

Which sucks.

The young engineers I work with are pretty good. So, it's not like the entire generation is a total loss. But, the 25-30 year old kids my friends and relatives have who still live at home, some even with kids of their own, are a disgrace. Overweight, lazy, full of excuses and blaming everyone but themselves for their plight. They are night and day different from the hard working college grads I come across professionally.

There is a nice slice of nose to the grindstone worker bees who have learned to keep their mouths shut and their minds closed and follow the rules to get ahead.

Fewer and fewer all the time though.

Which sucks.

yeah, abandon all hope, ye who enter here, and all of that. in reality, declaring that the next generation consists of lazy, entitled ****s who listen to the wrong music is nothing new. the practice was well established long before you were born.

The young engineers I work with are pretty good. So, it's not like the entire generation is a total loss. But, the 25-30 year old kids my friends and relatives have who still live at home, some even with kids of their own, are a disgrace. Overweight, lazy, full of excuses and blaming everyone but themselves for their plight. They are night and day different from the hard working college grads I come across professionally.

that hasn't been my experience, except for the kids living at home part. most of that is because we put a massive paywall in front of post secondary education, IMO. either way, we're dealing in anecdotal evidence here, so it is what it is.

that hasn't been my experience, except for the kids living at home part. most of that is because we put a massive paywall in front of post secondary education, IMO. either way, we're dealing in anecdotal evidence here, so it is what it is.

To be fair it is a lot harder to get a start today. Options are few, and limited are the opportunities.

I began my career as a co-op student, working as a draftsman while still in high school. Jobs like mine were plentiful. I spent time as a gopher and all around assistant in a machine shop. I also learned how to draw by copying old drawings from paper onto Mylar. When computers arrived, I did much the same, taking paper drawings and entering them into CAD format. It prepared me for a career. By the time I was 20, I had solid experience and a strong skill set. College came later, as an addition not a prerequisite.

Kids today can still do that. But, their choices are limited. I know a kid (lol...he's 24, so not really a kid) who is working cyber security at the AFB. His mom said he was always good at computers so when he graduated HS, he hooked up with a temp firm who landed him a regular data entry type gig at the base. Now he is their network guru.

Mostly faggish. From what I see they're lazy and entitled - products of the US education system. Hopefully, they'll get mature and shed their liberal tinfoil hats - but I really kind of doubt it.

Mostly faggish. From what I see they're lazy and entitled - products of the US education system. Hopefully, they'll get mature and shed their liberal tinfoil hats - but I really kind of doubt it.

There does appear to be more..um..non-binary types than there used to be, or perhaps I am just noticing it as it is in the news so much lately.

There does appear to be more..um..non-binary types than there used to be, or perhaps I am just noticing it as it is in the news so much lately.

Some say it's due to all the estrogen in our water supply....or perhaps too much soybean consumption. :)

Used to be that you went to college for 10 grand, to get a job that paid 50 grand, to buy a house that cost 80 grand.

Now you go to college for 100 grand, to get a job that pays 30 grand, to buy a house that costs 300 grand.

Used to be that you went to college for 10 grand, to get a job that paid 50 grand, to buy a house that cost 80 grand.

Now you go to college for 100 grand, to get a job that pays 30 grand, to buy a house that costs 300 grand.

Depends on degree and subject.

Undergrad can be expensive depending on school. But if you choose a good subject, you can certainly make way more than 30 grand coming out. And if you go to grad school for math, science, or engineering that's pretty much paid for by the University (though you have to teach or do research). Then you have a Masters or PhD and will be making way more than 30 grand.

Also...when the hell did houses cost 80 grand? By the end of the 80's ('89), the average for a new home was like 120 grand.

I do think that the price of University has gotten way out of hand, and we should be working on ways to make it better. I think average cost per year for tuition, room & board, and fees for a 4 year college (in-state) is about 19000. Which puts a 4 year degree at about 76000. Pretty outrageous actually. I went to undergrad back in the late 90's, and it was probably close to 1/4 of the cost today. Now there are financial aid and scholarships and such, but overall I think we really need to find a solution to college degrees because even crappy in-state colleges are becoming absurdly expensive. Education is never going to stop being important, in fact as we become more and more technologically advanced, it will be more and more necessary. We cannot make education closed off to everyone but the rich.

I don't know why the older generation talks so poorly about us. We are eventually going to be in charge, and that's the older generations real problem. They want to lose power to anybody.

I don't think most millennials think they are going to millionaires.[/B] We are pretty much graduating from college with tons of debt, and as a result live with our parents. We are not getting married, buying houses, or having kids at the rate of previous generations because we are loaded down with debt. In fact, most millennials I know don't even want kids because they are another cost, and having a kid is going to put you in medical debt.

As for the part about posting selfies and inspirational quotes on Instagram.... I found that to be true in many cases. Social media accounts is more about presenting yourself to others in the way you want to be seen versus a reflection of reality. It's all really pretentious.

Getting trophies for just participating... I never got a trophy for anything, and I never wanted a trophy for anything. I was in martial arts, never got a trophy. If you wanted me to do something for money, I would do it. If you said, wash my car, and if you do it right, I'll give you $50. If you do half assed job, I'll give you $5. I would have washed the **** out of that car. To me trophies are actually worthless.

Suggestion: If you are in College, find one teaches better writing and English skills, but if you have already graduated get your money back, you got ripped off.

There's certain aspects that are true, such as undeserved confidence. But that trend has been going on since the dawn of the Cold War culture. The World War 2 generation was better than any of generation X or the Baby Boomers. However, with greater access to various experiences through interconnection, there is more potential for millenials to become smarter. But with the culture generation X started in combination with the internet, it is in fact the fault of generation X and the counter-culture of the Baby Boomers that the internet is misused as an endless concoction of entertainment for youth. T.V is primarily seen as a form of entertainment and that was the mass media of the 60's, which passed on to subsequent generations. At least now, people can interact with their media. Also, it's natural for people who don't work to aspire to start their own business. The youth of European nations which have higher standards of living, tend not to work as it is viewed as interfering with academic pursuits and information-efficient jobs, i.e. jobs that require intelligence. The problem is when our curriculum standards are so low, its inevitable for youth to seek out menial labor as a way of finding meaning, because they don't find it in schools. I say this as a youth who did so, when I should have focused on my education when it mattered most, credentials-wise.

To be fair it is a lot harder to get a start today. Options are few, and limited are the opportunities.

I began my career as a co-op student, working as a draftsman while still in high school. Jobs like mine were plentiful. I spent time as a gopher and all around assistant in a machine shop. I also learned how to draw by copying old drawings from paper onto Mylar. When computers arrived, I did much the same, taking paper drawings and entering them into CAD format. It prepared me for a career. By the time I was 20, I had solid experience and a strong skill set. College came later, as an addition not a prerequisite.

Kids today can still do that. But, their choices are limited. I know a kid (lol...he's 24, so not really a kid) who is working cyber security at the AFB. His mom said he was always good at computers so when he graduated HS, he hooked up with a temp firm who landed him a regular data entry type gig at the base. Now he is their network guru.

Let me get this straight, calamity, you laud someone who didn't enter college and got a computer based job, which is, in fact the key technological component, which produces the data which millennial youths have been exposed to. So, if millennials are to be defined by their access to information, which, holistically makes sense, wouldn't it make sense not to criticize the entirety of their population in the sense that not all informational resources should be blandly criticized. Moreover, doesn't anyone think it ironic that this thread started on the basis of someone using a cultural form of expression, i.e. the mindless 5 minute video rant, to criticize the generation that uses 5 minute video rants as a way of assimilating information. Now, don't get me wrong, I think engineering is a very important field and I aspire to be one myself one day. But at the same time, everyone viewing this thread is here to politicize and in doing so, is expressing a humanistic desire for unity. In the same manner which the middle brain functions predicate the higher functions of the neo-cortex, wouldn't it make sense to have people receive education in the humanities before education in fields utilizing numerical quantifiers in creating patterns. Those who choose to enter the humanities are minimizing their risk in formal education markers, (grades) while maximizing the potential for acumen in science and business. Moreover, there are certain noteworthy persons such as Noam Chomsky who have degrees in the humanities as well as science. On the free-market level, seeing as how much a boss considers experience and personality that minimizes conflict on a resume, it would seem as though people who enter the humanities actually have a natural proclivity towards success in society, via their humanistic thought-patterns that meld well with society. And besides, this website is devoted to politics, which I believe falls under the category of the humanities, if I'm not mistaken.

Hey, who designed the US education system? Wouldn't be your generation, would it? And if it's the liberalism you hate, what's wrong with conservatives? Why don't they stick an oar in the water?
Liberals do, and conservatives complain about what liberals do. Same everywhere and always.

I was shocked when I first heard the word "underemployed" from a job applicant. I asked him what it meant and he said he had a degree in Business Administration and anything below administering a business meant he was underemployed. I pointed out he'd never had a job but he didn't see the point.

I have decided advertising for hiring millenials is part of the problem.

"Work for Burger Barn. The year has 8,760 hours and you'll have 6,880 hours to screw off if you work for us."

I was shocked when applicants and even new hires asked questions like, "How long will it be before I get promoted and don't have to work weekends? Will I have any problem getting two weeks off at Christmas to go skiing with my buds? Can I have a month off in the summer if I take it off without pay?" My personal favorite was the applicant who handed me a business card when he picked up the application forms. I read the card and said, "You're an attorney?" "No, that's my attorney and that's who you'll be talking to if you don't hire me." I told him to sit right down and we'd give him a call and save us all some time but he left.

I was equally shocked when a man I worked with asked me how I got my kids to leave home. His son was pushing thirty, driving a brand new Corvette, had a job but was living at home. No rent, no food bill, no health insurance meant he could have that Corvette, great vacations, and party a lot. Why should he move out? His parents let his girlfriend sleep over whenever she wanted to.

But, my biggest surprise as a cop was when people hired as police officers refused to go on calls unless they had a police officer to protect them. When I challenged one he said, "My life is worth as much as anyone else's." Absolutely true. Of course, I did point out the woman getting beaten with a club by her drunken husband wasn't getting paid $100,000 a year to protect the cop sitting down the street waiting for his cover unit. He shrugged and walked off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom