• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So Tim Scott WAS right -America is not a racist country

I don't recall him proclaiming it is over. He just said America isn't a racist country. I took that to mean it's not racist in character, not that racism doesn't exist here.

It's Scott's answer to the charge from some on the left that America is founded in white supremacy and is fundamentally racist in design. The problem with Scott's rebuttal is that Biden never made that case in his address, so it's a strawman in this context.

If was indeed a strawman, and the term “racist country” is so general as to mean basically nothing.

If was indeed a strawman, and the term “racist country” is so general as to mean basically nothing.

Indeed. But I would argue Scott's speech was fairly well representative of the mood of his constituency.

Indeed. But I would argue Scott's speech was fairly well representative of the mood of his constituency.

Of that, there is simply no doubt. My opinion is that it was a SOP to the very great number of members of the Republican Party who continue to be somewhere between latent and proudly open racists but who need to be told otherwise, It was shameful on his part to be “set up” by his party to deliver that message and that he was basically “used” by them to deliver a message that had nothing at all to do with a rebuttal to Biden.

Of that, there is simply no doubt. My opinion is that it was a SOP to the very great number of members of the Republican Party who continue to be somewhere between latent and proudly open racists but who need to be told otherwise, It was shameful on his part to be “set up” by his party to deliver that message and that he was basically “used” by them to deliver a message that had nothing at all to do with a rebuttal to Biden.

That's certainly not the perception of conservatives. Biden doesn't need to touch the third rail of racial issues because other institutions are pushing the same false narrative that you're pushing -- that GOP voters are racist. They are not. Save a short period in GOP history, It's been always been Democrats who peddle race.

A lot of liberals are eating crow this morning for ridiculing Tim Scott.
" By doubling down on the divisions we've worked so hard to heal. You know this stuff is wrong. Hear me clearly: America is not a racist country" - TiM Scott

“I believe that we need to come up, well first of all, no I don’t think America is a racist country,” Harris said. “But we also do have to speak truth about the history of racism in our country, and it’s existence today.”-cackling Kammy
Of course Democrats and their media allies have worked hard for the past four years to convince the weak-minded wokies otherwise, but us normals know it's a crock.
This one guy says it’s not a racist country.

...so the **** what?

" By doubling down on the divisions we've worked so hard to heal. You know this stuff is wrong. Hear me clearly: America is not a racist country" - TiM Scott

“I believe that we need to come up, well first of all, no I don’t think America is a racist country,” Harris said. “But we also do have to speak truth about the history of racism in our country, and it’s existence today.”-cackling Kammy
Of course Democrats and their media allies have worked hard for the past four years to convince the weak-minded wokies otherwise, but us normals know it's a crock.

Saying America is not a racist country does not mean there are not some powerful racist elements in it. I think you are trying to say that because the country as a whole is not racist means there is no racism in this country. Do you see why that conclusion makes no logical sense?

That's certainly not the perception of conservatives. Biden doesn't need to touch the third rail of racial issues because other institutions are pushing the same false narrative that you're pushing -- that GOP voters are racist. They are not. Save a short period in GOP history, It's been always been Democrats who peddle race.

All those racist Southern Democrats who became Republicans in the 70s and 80s-did they suddenly lose their racism when they switched parties? And why is Tim Scott the ONLY African-American Republican in the entire Congress?

I don't know what period you are talking about. It was the basis of Nixon's southern strategy, and chief political advisors to Republican Party and its presidential candidates ever since.

Here is Kevin Phillips, Nixon's chief political advisor:

From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats.[1]

Here is Lee Atwater, chief political advisor to Ronald Reagan, in an interview in 1981:

Atwater: As to the whole Southern strategy that Harry Dent and others put together in 1968, opposition to the Voting Rights Act would have been a central part of keeping the South. Now [Reagan] doesn't have to do that. All you have to do to keep the South is for Reagan to run in place on the issues he's campaigned on since 1964 [...] and that's fiscal conservatism, balancing the budget, cut taxes, you know, the whole cluster...
Questioner: But the fact is, isn't it, that Reagan does get to the Wallace voter and to the racist side of the Wallace voter by doing away with legal services, by cutting down on food stamps?
Atwater: Y'all don't quote me on this. You start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger"—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger."

Following Bush's re-election, Ken Mehlman, Bush's campaign manager and Chairman of the Republican National Committee, held several large meetings in 2005 with African American business, community and religious leaders. In his speeches, he apologized for his party's use of the Southern Strategy in the past. When asked about the strategy of using race as an issue to build GOP dominance in the once-Democratic South, Mehlman replied,
Republican candidates often have prospered by ignoring black voters and even by exploiting racial tensions [...] by the '70s and into the '80s and '90s, the Democratic Party solidified its gains in the African-American community, and we Republicans did not effectively reach out. Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization. I am here today as the Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong.[95][96]
The election of President Barack Obama saw a new type of Southern Strategy emerge among conservative voters. They used his election as evidence of a post-racial era to deny the need of continued civil rights legislation while simultaneously playing on racial tensions and marking him as a "racial bogeyman". There are three parts to this phenomenon:
First, according to the arguments, a nation that has the ability to elect a Black president is completely free of racism. Second, attempts to continue the remedies enacted after the civil rights movement will only result in more racial discord, demagoguery, and racism against White Americans. Third, these tactics are used side-by-side with the veiled racism and coded language of the original Southern Strategy

White-grievance types LOVE the Tim Scotts of the world.

Right KLATTU?

No one else pays them any mind.

But if ever Tim Scott leaves his mental plantation, they will turn on him like they would a disloyal dog. See Michael Steele, Colin Powell, etc.).

Of course America is a racist country. That is not even arguable. And that FACT is proven by every pathetic attempt to defend Scott's comments in this thread.

All those racist Southern Democrats who became Republicans in the 70s and 80s-did they suddenly lose their racism when they switched parties? And why is Tim Scott the ONLY African-American Republican in the entire Congress?

They died off, Wasup. The Dixiecrats are long gone. And yes the GOP is not as diverse as the Democrats and represents largely white, rural districts -- especially in the U.S. House. But that framing specifically leaves out Black Republicans at all other levels of government and in the judiciary.

Hey, look. Another gaslight of a post - should I respond? I'll think about it.

You cant' help yourself. You were posting in all caps upthread. Compulsion ain't just a perfume at JC Penney.

They died off, Wasup. The Dixiecrats are long gone. And yes the GOP is not as diverse as the Democrats and represents largely white, rural districts -- especially in the U.S. House. But that framing specifically leaves out Black Republicans at all other levels of government and in the judiciary.

I seriously doubt that you are going to find many black ELECTED Republicans anywhere that requires votes beyond local elections, including Statehouses. There is a reason that blacks don't trust Repubs, and that reason is that they are fully aware of the racist sentiment among a too-large segment of the party. We see that right here in DP on an almost daily basis, Repubs finding ways to be negative towards blacks. Blacks are fully aware of that.

I seriously doubt that you are going to find many black ELECTED Republicans anywhere that requires votes beyond local elections, including Statehouses. There is a reason that blacks don't trust Repubs, and that reason is that they are fully aware of the racist sentiment among a too-large segment of the party. We see that right here in DP on an almost daily basis, Repubs finding ways to be negative towards blacks. Blacks are fully aware of that.
no one is trying to be negative about Blacks in here. Progressives , for the longest time on here have screamed racism about EVERYTHING. I cannot allow such lies to go unchallenged. it is not their right to decide everything about the issue. THAT is the very nature of "we believe these truths to be self evident... "

i believe in true equality , I believe in Martin Luther King. "equity" is a gross abombination of that, in an attempt to buy votes for dems and I wiLL NOT allow it to go unchallenged as such.

talk to me about helping POOR people and I would care less what color they are and will be glad to look at those programs but the reasoning has to be approached rationally and logically.

no one is trying to be negative about Blacks in here. Progressives , for the longest time on here have screamed racism about EVERYTHING. I cannot allow such lies to go unchallenged. it is not their right to decide everything about the issue.

i believe in true equality , I believe in Martin Luther King. "equity" is a gross abombination of that, in an attempt to buy votes for dems and I wiLL NOT allow it to go unchallenged as such.

talk to me about helping POOR people and I would care less what color they are and will be glad to look at those programs but the reasoning has to be approached rationally and logically.

Another talking point: "progressives for the longest time have screamed racism about everything". Simply not true at all. It's diffcult to have a thoughtful discussion of the matter when the right constanly uses the same tired old TALKING POINTS instead of engaging in serious discussion.

Another talking point: "progressives for the longest time have screamed racism about everything". Simply not true at all. It's diffcult to have a thoughtful discussion of the matter when the right constanly uses the same tired old TALKING POINTS instead of engaging in serious discussion.
I mean , good lord it's uncanny if you cannot recognize how many progressives do that here.

I mean , good lord it's uncanny if you cannot recognize how man progressives do that here.

I mean, good lord, it’s uncanny if you cannot recognize how much time right wingers spend in here making negative comments about blacks.

I mean, good lord, it’s uncanny if you cannot recognize how much time right wingers spend in here making negative comments about blacks.
what negative comments about blacks?

Saying America is not a racist country does not mean there are not some powerful racist elements in it. I think you are trying to say that because the country as a whole is not racist means there is no racism in this country. Do you see why that conclusion makes no logical sense?
can you post anything dumber?

Uh huh. America from the start has been ruled by white men and only they could vote. It's taken us over two hundred years to allow women and blacks the vote. No racism.
Better late than never. ;)

So why are you still crying?

Better late than never. ;)

So why are you still crying?
Because the problem is far from over, and there are too many people trying to push the idea that it is. That’s pretty ominous.

Because the problem is far from over, and there are too many people trying to push the idea that it is. That’s pretty ominous.
There will always be problems, unless you're trying to make it so that there will never be a black casualty again.

Is that what you are trying for?

There will always be problems, unless you're trying to make it so that there will never be a black casualty again.

Is that what you are trying for?

There will always be problems. Should we quit trying to resolve them?

Back
Top Bottom