• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So this mentally ill person walks in a gun store, oh you've heard this one huh?

presluc

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
At least according to the news of the Naval yard shootings yesterday.
Alexis was arrested Sept. 4, 2010, by Fort Worth police after he was accused of recklessly discharging a firearm inside the limits of a municipality, according to the Tarrant County District Attorney's Office.Alexis was previously arrested on May 6, 2004, in Seattle for shooting out the tires of another man's vehicle in what he later described as "an anger-fueled 'blackout,'" according to the Seattle Police Department.
He told cops he could not remember firing his gun at the man's car until an hour after the incident.
A Seattle detective spoke to Alexis' father, who was "curious" about the incident.

It was said he bought a shotgun in Virginia.
Now I could go into that he was said to be under treatment for mental disorder and paranoia and insomnia, but that's a bit of old news we've heard it before, VA. Tech, Ft. Hood a theater in Denver, and the list goes on and the band led by the NRA plays on.
I support the 2nd amendment, I do not support fast and quick background checks, I do not support mentally ill people having or able to get guns.

Ladies and Gentlemen I await your comments and views on this subject.:peace

Why is this in off topic discussion?

Maybe all these guys are CIA sleepers programmed through on-line video games? ;)

I mean really, if they are that messed up mentally, how do they manage to devise these evil plans and then carry them out?

Because the last time I tried to post something on breaking news they sia it was already posted, before that they said it was too long so I'll post on a forum that's a bit more comfy:peace.

Now I could go into that he was said to be under treatment for mental disorder and paranoia and insomnia, but that's a bit of old news we've heard it before, VA. Tech, Ft. Hood a theater in Denver, and the list goes on and the band led by the NRA plays on.
I support the 2nd amendment, I do not support fast and quick background checks, I do not support mentally ill people having or able to get guns.

Ladies and Gentlemen I await your comments and views on this subject.:peace

As soon as you come up with a good way to identify dangerous 'mentally ill people' I'm all for banning them from buying guns.

Maybe all these guys are CIA sleepers programmed through on-line video games? ;)

I mean really, if they are that messed up mentally, how do they manage to devise these evil plans and then carry them out?

Yeah right of course?

Then there is the possibility of a gun store owner eager to make money without that red tape of a background check.
So the guy acts a little nervous no big deal.
Then there's the valid pass that wasn't revoked , I mean people that do this are busty you know it's not like it's their job to check on everyone, they might have phone calls to make or appointments to make.

Funny I can't carry a pen knife on a plane but this guy buys a shotgun and walks into a secured military location.
Am .I missing something.:peace

-Navy reservist who gunned down 12 at Washington Navy Yard had his fed security clearance renewed in July, despite having a record of violent behavior involving guns and a history of mental illness.

There's one problem identified.

Here's the rest of the problem;

Aaron Alexis, the 34-year-old shooter who killed 12 people yesterday at the Washington Navy Yard, has a long history of mental illness, stretching back, it seems, to symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder related to 9/11, a history of shooting out a person’s tires and a history of shooting a bullet into an apartment above his own.

... Recently, according to credible reports, he was under psychiatric care for paranoia and hearing voices.

This reportedly psychotic man with a history of PTSD and weapons charges in the past was apparently not hospitalized.

...Because, my friends, that is the way our sorry, shattered excuse for a mental health care system functions.

Aaron Alexis -- another improperly treated, mentally ill man becomes a mass killer | Fox News

Read more: Aaron Alexis -- another improperly treated, mentally ill man becomes a mass killer | Fox News

Funny I can't carry a pen knife on a plane but this guy buys a shotgun and walks into a secured military location.

He had a stolen ID and all black people look the same, maybe? :shrug:

Still don't understand the point of this thread and why it is not in gun control forum.

As soon as you come up with a good way to identify dangerous 'mentally ill people' I'm all for banning them from buying guns.

Are you telling me that the gun store owner in Virginia ran a background check and none of his arrest records showed up ?

Odd, if I get pulled over by the police, after they get my name and drivers licence number they can run mine in minutes.
If I apply for a credit card they run a background check , if I move into an apartment they run a background check for any criminal record.
So this gun shop owner he what?, was in a hurry or just busy with another customer, maybe just didn't want to bother with red tape?:peace

Yeah right of course?

Then there is the possibility of a gun store owner eager to make money without that red tape of a background check.
So the guy acts a little nervous no big deal.
Then there's the valid pass that wasn't revoked , I mean people that do this are busty you know it's not like it's their job to check on everyone, they might have phone calls to make or appointments to make.

Perhaps you could start with the ACLU lawsuits back in the '60's and '70's.

Are you telling me that the gun store owner in Virginia ran a background check and none of his arrest records showed up ?
Are you claiming that his particular arrest record would have been grounds to prohibit his firearm purchase? I've heard the exact opposite (as is with breaking new events and armchair lawyering).

Odd, if I get pulled over by the police, after they get my name and drivers licence number they can run mine in minutes.
If I apply for a credit card they run a background check , if I move into an apartment they run a background check for any criminal record.
So this gun shop owner he what?, was in a hurry or just busy with another customer, maybe just didn't want to bother with red tape?:peace

When you buy a gun, at least in this state, you are asked if you have been convicted, not if you have been arrested, which is as it should be. I wouldn't want to see citizens refused the ability to practice constitutional rights, based on an arrest, in which they have not been found guilty of the charges.

Are you claiming that his particular arrest record would have been grounds to prohibit his firearm purchase? I've heard the exact opposite (as is with breaking new events and armchair lawyering).

NICS is run by the Fedgov. Talk to them.

I would say the most interesting part of this story, so far, that hasn't been fully teased out, is the fact that this man was in the Navy and received a general discharge because of behavioural problems he had while in the service. If such is the case, why does not the US military flag such people in every state for concern when looking to purchase a weapon? and perhaps more importantly, why did this man get security clearance to enter the base as part of a consulting firm's staff when the Navy knew he had problems in that environment previously?

Somebody, or maybe many somebodies, dropped the ball here.

Here's the problem each time a mentally ill person winds up with a gun and kills people excuses are made on how they got the gun
Virginia tech
Ft Hood
Denver
and the list goes on and so do the excuses.

Fake ID ?
Please I've seen people that were turned away from a strip club, bars and liquor stores with fake ids., but they always seem to work in gun stores.
Every time this happens a mentally ill person that should never have a gun gets one kills people and the gun activist and the NRA shrug their shoulders and say well it wasn't the background checks. every thing concerning gun control is under order, but people keep getting killed from mentally ill people with guns.

Fox news? please you might as well send me to the NRA.:peace

fine line between insanity and genius. the insane are not always ignorant some score very high on IQ test

He had a stolen ID and all black people look the same, maybe? :shrug:

Still don't understand the point of this thread and why it is not in gun control forum.
All black people look alike ?
Columbine white
Denver movie white need I go on?
I like it here I lost two threads one cost me an infraction.:peace

Perhaps you could start with the ACLU lawsuits back in the '60's and '70's.

Sure happy to oblige.

You just tell me how many people got killed. by the ACLU LAWSUITS.
I do not support the ACLU nor any particular political party so if you are looking for a partisan post don't look toward mine.:peace

Sure happy to oblige.

You just tell me how many people got killed. by the ACLU LAWSUITS.
I do not support the ACLU nor any particular political party so if you are looking for a partisan post don't look toward mine.:peace

Well, I'd guess that number is rather large, since the ACLU was responsible for legal actions that led to turning mentally ill patients out onto the streets.

I'm not attempting to be partisan. I mearly provided the genesis to the question.

Here's the problem each time a mentally ill person winds up with a gun and kills people excuses are made on how they got the gun
Virginia tech
Ft Hood
Denver
and the list goes on and so do the excuses.

Fake ID ?
Please I've seen people that were turned away from a strip club, bars and liquor stores with fake ids., but they always seem to work in gun stores.
Every time this happens a mentally ill person that should never have a gun gets one kills people and the gun activist and the NRA shrug their shoulders and say well it wasn't the background checks. every thing concerning gun control is under order, but people keep getting killed from mentally ill people with guns.

Fox news? please you might as well send me to the NRA.:peace

You might as well have left the "peace" sign off the end, after dissing everything I said and the story as well, which is simply factual information that can be verified elsewhere.

Never understood why "peace" people are so often intellectually and verbally violent towards anyone who doesn't go along with their script.

Don't bother replying, I'm no longer interested.

Why is it each time {and there have been more than one} that a mentally ill person buys a gun leagle then kills innocent people , and somebody dares to ask why, it's called armchair lawyering?

Why can't somebody say the gun shop owners SLOPPY BACKGROUND CHECKS.:peace

Thes are the rules regarding what disqualifies a person from purchasing a gun during a background check:

These categories include any person:

Under indictment or information in any court for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
who is a fugitive from justice;
who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;
who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution;
who is an illegal alien;
who has been discharged from the military under dishonorable conditions;
who has renounced his or her United States citizenship;
who is subject to a court order restraining the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of the intimate partner; or
who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (enacted by the Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act of 1997, Pub. L. No. 104-208, effective September 30, 1996). 18 USC 922(g) and (n).
The Arms Export Control Act (AECA) prohibits the issuance of licenses to persons who have been convicted of: (Then lists several federal crimes)

Firearms - How To - Identify Prohibited Persons | ATF

Notice all the highlighted words? Like CONVICTED, ADJUDICATED, DISHONORABLE, currently indicted?

See anything stating previously "arrested" or "under treatment"?

The man qualified to purchase a gun, and rightly so. Many people are arrested for crimes and never convicted. Many people are undergoing therapy, and never commit acts of violence.

There is literally no way to absolutely prevent a person from acting out violently except locking him up and throwing away the key. You ready to build a massive jail and lock all of us up in solitary, including yourself, then throwing away the keys??? :shrug:

Last edited:
When you buy a gun, at least in this state, you are asked if you have been convicted, not if you have been arrested, which is as it should be. I wouldn't want to see citizens refused the ability to practice constitutional rights, based on an arrest, in which they have not been found guilty of the charges.

Mentally ill people are not convicted every time they are treated, anyway suppose he was arrested and found guilty but walked on a technicality.

Christ that's like asking a coach of a little girls soccer league have yopu ever been convicted of child molestation.
You think if he had been arrested they would hire him anyway?:peace

Mentally ill people are not convicted every time they are treated, anyway suppose he was arrested and found guilty but walked on a technicality.

Like it or not, that's how our legal system works.

NICS is run by the Fedgov. Talk to them.

I don't think NICS or the Federal Golvernment owns a gun shop in Virginia that is private business.

Didn't get the shotgun from NICS or the Federal Government , got it at a gun store in Virginia.:peace

Back
Top Bottom