• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So, this is what I found in my front yard yesterday

beefheart

Ice Cream for Crow?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
OK, its my neighbor's yard, high up in a pine tree. It is a large Horned Owl that has recently moved in. Now, my neighborhood was built in 1957, and I've lived there most of my life. An owl sighting used to be pretty rare. In the last few years we have had coyotes in the area and we had a family of javelinas that got onto the football field of the grade school behind my house. Also had a Cooper's hawk fly into my front window (with a pigeon in its claws). In the last few years we have had an invasion of peach faced lovebirds establish here as well. I am always amazed to find wild life in my central Phoenix neiborhood.

Owl1.jpg

Awesome! Owls are my favorite birds. They tie with sea turtles as my favorite animal.

All you need now is this:
y5GsuaQ.png

:mrgreen:

Make sure to shoo that bugger away and prevent it from nesting there; otherwise, it'll drive you insane with its relentless hissing at night to drive potential predators away.

I'd never hurt it. Its a raptor, its protected.

Now....javelinas....well, if you shoot them, you just make them mad.

Make sure to shoo that bugger away and prevent it from nesting there; otherwise, it'll drive you insane with its relentless hissing at night to drive potential predators away.

He has been hanging in different trees. And, since it is going to be 116 degrees on Saturday (and for the next 3.5 months) , my double paned windows are closed. I will never hear it.

All you need now is this:
y5GsuaQ.png

:mrgreen:

They eat skunks. I would suggest leaving them be so they continue to eat the skunks. Skunks like to spray ****. The long standing truce I had with my skunk has been broken. I wish the owl would move to my neighborhood and assassinate the skunk. Soon. I pay well and there are lots of cats to eat.

OK, its my neighbor's yard, high up in a pine tree. It is a large Horned Owl that has recently moved in. Now, my neighborhood was built in 1957, and I've lived there most of my life. An owl sighting used to be pretty rare. In the last few years we have had coyotes in the area and we had a family of javelinas that got onto the football field of the grade school behind my house. Also had a Cooper's hawk fly into my front window (with a pigeon in its claws). In the last few years we have had an invasion of peach faced lovebirds establish here as well. I am always amazed to find wild life in my central Phoenix neiborhood.

View attachment 67202148

I have a job offer for him if you would send him my way.

They eat skunks. I would suggest leaving them be so they continue to eat the skunks. Skunks like to spray ****. The long standing truce I had with my skunk has been broken. I wish the owl would move to my neighborhood and assassinate the skunk. Soon. I pay well and there are lots of cats to eat.

We don't have skunks or raccoons in metro PHX or squirrels, we do have roof rats and gophers and lizards. There is a big palm tree behind my house that the church hasn't trimmed for ages, it is loaded with pigeons, and doves (ringnecked mourning doves and African doves), they are probably making up this guy's diet.

View attachment 67202148

Does he hoot at night. We had one that loved to be very loud into the wee hours, when I was a kid. :) :peace

Does he hoot at night. We had one that loved to be very loud into the wee hours, when I was a kid. :) :peace

Yes, but he is all over the hood at night, so I don't always hear it. I heard him yesterday morning when the sun was up. All day long yesterday, there were mockingbirds swooping and diving and making all kinds of clatter at him. They must have a nest in the tree. That was loud and annoying.

'A mouse problem around your house?' 'Why no, not really.'

Cool to have a bird like that around. Hopefully he'll stay awhile. I wonder if there's something you can do to encourage his staying around?
(Assuming that he's not bothering anything or anyone).

Yes, but he is all over the hood at night, so I don't always hear it. I heard him yesterday morning when the sun was up. All day long yesterday, there were mockingbirds swooping and diving and making all kinds of clatter at him. They must have a nest in the tree. That was loud and annoying.

Mockingbirds hate owls. That is what they were telling you.

Mockingbirds hate owls. That is what they were telling you.

Owls like to eat mockingbird chicks.....that will be the end result.

Owls like to eat mockingbird chicks.....that will be the end result.

I've always found that mockingbird chicks are too small to be worth the effort, myself. ;)

I've always found that mockingbird chicks are too small to be worth the effort, myself. ;)

Owl has to eat!

The area around Phoenix is pretty wild, actually.

Yeah, I live about a mile from Papago Park, which is enormous, and it even has the AZ National Guard there. There are peregrine falcons in the buttes around there, and even in the skyscrapers in downtown PHX.

Yeah, I live about a mile from Papago Park, which is enormous, and it even has the AZ National Guard there. There are peregrine falcons in the buttes around there, and even in the skyscrapers in downtown PHX.

I worked in a tower off central and they had a hawk up on the roof to control the pigeon population. I'd be sitting at my desk and I'd see this object just fall past my window and it would be him all closed up nose-diving down. I kept binoculars in my desk to spot fires all around the city or to spot the hawk some times. Sometimes he'd pearch on the building across the yard from us.

I worked in a tower off central and they had a hawk up on the roof to control the pigeon population. I'd be sitting at my desk and I'd see this object just fall past my window and it would be him all closed up nose-diving down. I kept binoculars in my desk to spot fires all around the city or to spot the hawk some times. Sometimes he'd pearch on the building across the yard from us.

When I drove to Mexico a few weeks ago, I went to Puerto Penasco via the new road from El Golfo. So many huge buzzards, it was awesome.

We've had a family of owls living in a giant tree in our back yard for years. At our new house, we were up there in the early evening and heard owls in our trees there too.

View attachment 67202148

Well that is awesome! I get screech owls in the tree next to my house(no they do not actually screech) They are those tiny owls that like to live in holes of trees or damn near anywhere.

Used to get one in my dodge truck because I would leave the window down in the summer to keep it cool, sometimes I would open the door and get the crap scared out of me, with it bolting out of there when I spook it by opening the door. That stopped a while ago, but I still never understood why he liked my truck so much, and now just hangs out in the tree next to my house.

Occasionally we get big owls in texas, but mostly those baby sized screech owls

I'd never hurt it. Its a raptor, its protected.

Now....javelinas....well, if you shoot them, you just make them mad.

Plus if you kill a javalina, you have to skin it just right or it's stink gland ruptures and contaminates the meat.

Back
Top Bottom