• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So sad for Boy Scouts of America

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Boy Scouts
SO SAD for our country.....
The story you heard yesterday about President Obama refusing to sign Eagle Scout Awards is true.

He won't sign life saving awards either.

Every President since 1912 has been the honorary President of the Boy Scouts of America .

President Obama refused that honor.

Did you hear anything about the Boy Scouts 100th Anniversary? Why did the press ignore it?

Let's see, Boy Scouts promote honor, integrity, putting others first, love of country and of course they must believe in God.

Not much press coverage on this story, the first president in 100 years to insult his finest citizens, Eagle Scouts.

John Beaurguard, CEO of the South Texas Council of the Boy Scouts of America joins us just after 7AM.

David Haynie has two sons who have achieved the rank of Eagle Scout.

Dave Hiser's son is working on his Eagle Scout award now.

This is the E-mail Linda Thacker, sent to Glenn Beck and I forwarded to Glenn's producer Adam:
Dear Mr. Beck,
On March 24, 2009 I had the honor of attending my Grandson, David Osborne's Eagle Scout Court of Honor. I imagine you have attended one of these wonderful ceremonies. I also feel confident that you are very knowlegable of what it means to have earned the status of Eagle Scout. Our entire family is so very excited and at the Court of Honor we were all just beaming as our wonderful young man was honored for his acheivements.
After the Court was closed David's leaders pulled him aside and explained to him that they regretted to have to tell him, as sad as it is, that his certificate was different from others they had presented because his certificate did not have the signature of the President of the United States. They explained that Obama does not support the Boy Scouts of America and therefore does not sign the Eagle Certificates.
To date I believe there may be as many as 10,000 of this country's finest young men who do not have the signature of the president of the country they have taken an oath to respect and serve on thier Eagle Certificate.
To my knowledge Congress chartered BSA in 1916--part of which the President of the United States is the Honorary President of The Boy Scouts of America --and President Obama is the first sitting president to personally refuse to sign these certicates.
I believe if the country were to be educated on national televison of what the Boy Scouts of America stands for they would join those of us who already know, and would be as outraged as we are!
Your good friend Jim Lago was also in attendance at this Eagle Court of Honor. I had the privliege of speaking with him this morning on his radio talk show here in Corpus Christi and shared with him this same information. He was equally alarmed to say the least.
This information should ignite in every parent the urgency to instill the great values held by the Boy Scouts of America in their young men for the cause of maintaining this great nation. We must stand united.
With appreciation,
Linda Thacker, grandmother to eleven of Americas finest future citizens, David, Erikka, Adam, Ryan, Hailey, Tygh, Mana, Gerritt, Maya, Ezra and Lynden Osborne.

So, that's the story thus far--calls have been made, citizens are angry, especially the parents of Eagle Scouts.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if ex-president Bush announced, he would be willing to sign all Eagle Scout Certificates for as long as President Obama is in office?

We have a very very small man in a very big office.

I no longer consider Snopes a reliable source for anything that has the slightest political connotation. Do you have another source?

I no longer consider Snopes a reliable source for anything that has the slightest political connotation. Do you have another source?

President Obama Refused to Sign Eagle Scout Certificates-Fiction!

A spokesperson from the public affairs office of the National Council for Boy Scouts of America told TruthOrFiction.com that this is fiction. President Obama's signature appears on the Eagle award, in addition to the signatures of the National President of the Boy Scouts of America, National Commissioner, and the Chief Scout Executive. All those who have worked to achieve the rank of Eagle Scout have been presented certificates signed by the President of the United States.

I'm erring on the side of 'bull' on this - a lot of searches came up with a variety of 'nope, no true' things - so I betting it's a fabrication.
However - I'm surprised to learn that Eagle Scout awards are signed by the president.
Why does the president need to sign anything that support or recognizes a group which forces religious beliefs and is homophobic but yet ushers pedophiles into their ranks?

I'm erring on the side of 'bull' on this - a lot of searches came up with a variety of 'nope, no true' things - so I betting it's a fabrication.
However - I'm surprised to learn that Eagle Scout awards are signed by the president.
Why does the president need to sign anything that support or recognizes a group which forces religious beliefs and is homophobic but yet ushers pedophiles into their ranks?

BSA does not force religious beliefs, but rather, some kind of religious conviction and a certain moral code are membership requirements. If their requirements do not suit you, do not join.

"Force" would be involved in membership were not voluntary, or if coercion were involved. This is not the case.

As for "ushering in pedophiles", I'd need to see documentation proving that BSA is gladly welcoming pedophiles into their ranks in large numbers to consider that statement literally valid. Pretty sure there is no such documentation.

Presidential signatures on the awards is a very long-standing custom. Whether you would consider the breaking of this custom a good or bad thing depends on which side of the issue you stand on, I suppose.

:shrug:
I'm just pointing out that - if he did have an issue with BSA - I see why he would.

Just because something is an old custom doesn't mean it's vital or a necessity of life to continue.

What disgusts me the most about this is, why put so much energy into a lie when there are plenty of glaring truths out there about the current administration?

I pretty much dont give a damm but as for the religious part of scouting goes you typically have to be a protestant or a catholic. With the strict diets conservative jews and muslims have they wouldnt fit in because of the stuff we ate on camping trips. Im speaking from being a scout myself who made Eagle at the 11th hour.

What disgusts me the most about this is, why put so much energy into a lie when there are plenty of glaring truths out there about the current administration?

I asked the same thing during the Bush administration. :mrgreen:

Certain people I knew were walking around quoting Micheal Moore black-helo BS as if it were reality, and I kept saying "look, there is PLENTY to criticize Bush about without resorting to this made-up crap..."

Both sides have their share of idiots.

Care to explain why?

I've seen what I consider adequate reasons to question whether Snopes is really unbiased in some of their reports, the ones that bear on political matters at any rate.

BSA does not force religious beliefs, but rather, some kind of religious conviction and a certain moral code are membership requirements. If their requirements do not suit you, do not join.

That actually depends on your troop. Some do, some don't. Some are super religious and some don't care if you're a card carrying atheist. National, the policy is for such religious views whether it to be fundamentalist Christianity or Pagan worship. But troops are free to incorporate as little or as much of that as they want.

You guys do realize that Obama doesn't even look at this stuff no?

It's all autopen and form letter. I really doubt Bush signed mine. Presidents are busy people. Eagle Scout awards are not high on the priority list. I doubt any of them even care. Which suggests this e-mail is a 45 lbs of BS in a 3 lb bag. To think that president would go out of his way just to stop sending form letters with autopen signatures is pretty insane.

I've seen what I consider adequate reasons to question whether Snopes is really unbiased in some of their reports, the ones that bear on political matters at any rate.
Care to share these reasons?

Care to share these reasons?

Since I gather that you are prepared to challenge me on this, I will need to marshal my information and sources and documentation, and be ready for battle. Also it should be in a seperate thread as it may turn out to be a topic all its own.

It's going to be "when I have time" because I have a lot to do this weekend.... but I'll get around to it. :mrgreen:

Since I gather that you are prepared to challenge me on this, I will need to marshal my information and sources and documentation, and be ready for battle. Also it should be in a seperate thread as it may turn out to be a topic all its own.

It's going to be "when I have time" because I have a lot to do this weekend.... but I'll get around to it. :mrgreen:
Ok, just shoot me a link to the thread when you make it.

SO SAD for our country.....
The story you heard yesterday about President Obama refusing to sign Eagle Scout Awards is true.

He won't sign life saving awards either.

Well, this has been proven false; I won't rub your face in it.
Are you aware that Obama writes a personal letter to the family of each fallen US soldier?
No other president has done that.

Every President since 1912 has been the honorary President of the Boy Scouts of America .

President Obama refused that honor.

A funny- and true- anecdote:

Theodor Seuss Geisel (aka Dr. Seuss) was a boy scout during William Taft's administration.
Taft once visited to Seuss's hometown of Springfield, Mass; during a ceremony, Taft was to present awards of some sort- ribbons or badges- to thirteen boy scouts, who were lined up on stage in front of the entire town.
Theodor was the boy scout on the far end.
Taft had one too few awards, apparently; by the time he got to Theodor, he was empty-handed.

"Who is this child?" the president joked. "What's he doing here?"

The incident humiliated Dr. Seuss so profoundly that he had a phobia about speaking in front of large groups of people for the rest of his long, long life. He also refused to give televised interviews.

edit: Actually, it might've been Wilson, rather than Taft. Can't remember. I read it in a biography about Seuss.

Last edited:
If this were true, my opinion would be: The good out weighs the bad. Sign the damn award.

"Force" would be involved in membership were not voluntary, or if coercion were involved. This is not the case.

As for "ushering in pedophiles", I'd need to see documentation proving that BSA is gladly welcoming pedophiles into their ranks in large numbers to consider that statement literally valid. Pretty sure there is no such documentation.

Presidential signatures on the awards is a very long-standing custom. Whether you would consider the breaking of this custom a good or bad thing depends on which side of the issue you stand on, I suppose.

As long as the BSA have access to tax dollars, they shouldn't be allowed to discriminate. They can either let LGBT, and atheist in their group or stop getting government funding, you can't have it both ways.

Last edited:
As long as the BSA have access to tax dollars, they shouldn't be allowed to discriminate. They can either let LGBT, and atheist in their group or stop getting government funding, you can't have it both ways.

Does the BSA take tax dollars?

I honestly don't know. Do you?

Should they be barred from using National Forests because they discriminate against people that don't fit their religious membership requirements?

Does the BSA take tax dollars?

I honestly don't know. Do you?

Should they be barred from using National Forests because they discriminate against people that don't fit their religious membership requirements?

Yes, they do, and they are able to use public facilities, for basically free. At rates of like 1 dollar, and a penny. When they could be used by everybody, instead of a group that discriminates against people.

Yes, they do, and they are able to use public facilities, for basically free. At rates of like 1 dollar, and a penny. When they could be used by everybody, instead of a group that discriminates against people.

Well, the answer is for them to stop taking gov't funds (do you have documentation on that btw?) and pay full price for whatever facilities they use.

Incidentally, I was an assistant for a scout troop for some time. If we ever got any Federal funds, I never heard about it. Also, if we ever got to use Federal facilities for free, nobody told me. Mostly we camped in State Forests, where it was free to all.

Start a Mau Mau appreciation society and I bet President Obama would give it his full patronage

You beat me to it!

Back
Top Bottom