• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So is this guy right or wrong?

tererun

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
[video]http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/leon-thomas/renegade-cut/40783-renegade-cut-iron-man-and-post-911-america[/video]

This a video from an online independent TV channel called channel awesome. This does not come from a normal blog but rather a interesting social commentary on the way media meets society. It is political in nature, but does not come from what is a pundit. I am just giving the short version for those who do not want to do the research and who care.

The video compares the recent Ironman character to post 9/11 america and shows perhaps why people see the extremes as so right and wrong, and the fact that the media te4nds to filter the casualties of these fights it ends up having a portrayal of our nation as a hero when really we never see it from the other side. We do not see the true horror and damage of our fight for right, so we never take into account the costs of doing something right and therefr do not make it efficient and necessary and are very haphazard about it because we do not need to pay the cost.

Off topic, and for people who are interested. I am a big fan of the idea of independent internet based entertainment sites who create fun and enjoyable media for me to consume, and I highly recommend taking a look around channel awesome as it is completely free and there is a ton of fun stuff there for gamers, music fans, TV viewers, movie livers, and cartoon geeks, sci fi nerds, and so on. They tend to stay away from politics though. So if you like it go there and talk to me elsewhere about it because this has a different topic.

I found it amusing that some of the people think whether or not the govt legitimately owns the Iron Man technology was the point worth debating

And thanks for pointing out the website. It looks interesting

I found it amusing that some of the people think whether or not the govt legitimately owns the Iron Man technology was the point worth debating

And thanks for pointing out the website. It looks interesting

the guy who does renegade cut often finds odd parts of a movie or media to dissect. It is interesting how we are presented with this idea that it would be awesome for a guy to act like this, but in the real world it would be a hell of a problem because we know we would have to have some check on him to make sure he acted right because a hero is not real.

the guy who does renegade cut often finds odd parts of a movie or media to dissect. It is interesting how we are presented with this idea that it would be awesome for a guy to act like this, but in the real world it would be a hell of a problem because we know we would have to have some check on him to make sure he acted right because a hero is not real.

Actually, in that respect I don't find anything exceptional about Iron Man, or any other hero stories. Going beyond conventional norms is an archetypal part of the hero story. Joseph Campbell, a noted cultural anthropologist wrote about this.

Monomyth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The link doesn't actually go into the trangression of conventional norms, but the author discusses it in his book

Actually, in that respect I don't find anything exceptional about Iron Man, or any other hero stories. Going beyond conventional norms is an archetypal part of the hero story. Joseph Campbell, a noted cultural anthropologist wrote about this.

Monomyth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The link doesn't actually go into the trangression of conventional norms, but the author discusses it in his book

Oh, it was not my intention to say that ironman was exceptional among those stories, but rather that it shows a parallel to the way fundamentalists idolize their organization and fail to see the damage they do to others because they are doing it in the greater good. Where as the hero in a story has the author or creator to wipe away the hardship and aftermath of the actions that destroy his world, we do not have that. I am a huge magical girl anime fan. There is one thing I have always said, if you ever see a magical girl run like hell. Not because she is going to attack you, but because you are about to get hit by the fight. Take the latest star trek reboot and add your knowledge of 9/11 to it. In the end of that movie buildings were toppling like the towers on 9/11. There were hundreds of thousands of lives that were destroyed and damaged in their triumphant conclusion. Look at the recent superman movie. One of the biggest complaints was the obvious killing of so many people and how it was casually put in the background. Part of what made superman so super was that in that universe no one ever died. Look at the A-team. They shoot guns all over the place and no one ever dies, even the bad guys. If you tried to accomplish that you could not do it.

Then we have people viewing our army and police forces as these superheroes and thinking of their operations in those terms, and it is really a delusion. It is a delusion that hits a lot of people like how in other threads people think a SWAT team can come in like chuck norris and kill only the bad guys and save the day. They do not recognize that in the real world stand down orders come for a reason. That reason is that we could make things a whole lot worse because we run into a situation unprepared. People are not looking at wars and life realistically, and it is partially the media's fault for sanitizing the gore and the tragic horror of the events we perpetrate. The aftermath of our attacks look just like the aftermath of a terrorist attack.

Oh, it was not my intention to say that ironman was exceptional among those stories, but rather that it shows a parallel to the way fundamentalists idolize their organization and fail to see the damage they do to others because they are doing it in the greater good. Where as the hero in a story has the author or creator to wipe away the hardship and aftermath of the actions that destroy his world, we do not have that. I am a huge magical girl anime fan. There is one thing I have always said, if you ever see a magical girl run like hell. Not because she is going to attack you, but because you are about to get hit by the fight. Take the latest star trek reboot and add your knowledge of 9/11 to it. In the end of that movie buildings were toppling like the towers on 9/11. There were hundreds of thousands of lives that were destroyed and damaged in their triumphant conclusion. Look at the recent superman movie. One of the biggest complaints was the obvious killing of so many people and how it was casually put in the background. Part of what made superman so super was that in that universe no one ever died. Look at the A-team. They shoot guns all over the place and no one ever dies, even the bad guys. If you tried to accomplish that you could not do it.

Ahhh. Now I get it!

Then we have people viewing our army and police forces as these superheroes and thinking of their operations in those terms, and it is really a delusion. It is a delusion that hits a lot of people like how in other threads people think a SWAT team can come in like chuck norris and kill only the bad guys and save the day. They do not recognize that in the real world stand down orders come for a reason. That reason is that we could make things a whole lot worse because we run into a situation unprepared. People are not looking at wars and life realistically, and it is partially the media's fault for sanitizing the gore and the tragic horror of the events we perpetrate. The aftermath of our attacks look just like the aftermath of a terrorist attack.

And now, even more. There was that supposed stand down order given at that shooting.

Makes sense

Ahhh. Now I get it!

And now, even more. There was that supposed stand down order given at that shooting.

Makes sense

Sometimes people say i am to wordy, but often I am just trying to explain my point well, or in my view well. Some things cannot be explained, but anyway, it is often why i think thaty people should complain about short responses rather than longer ones.

Back
Top Bottom