• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So I'm watching these older folks stuck in the middle of a war praying to their god to stop the bombings.

According to Reuters, there are about 8000 military personnel who identify as atheists. The Dept. of Defense also recognizes atheism as a choice for a soldier.

Not much I'd wager.
And how many of those have been in combat? And how many of those might have had a change of heart when things started going boom all around them. That's kind of the point of the comment "there are no atheists in foxholes".

And it may not mean much to you but I'd wager it means a lot to them, which again is kind of the point.

Last edited:
As my almost father in law now deceased about a week was also a ww2 combat vet in the european theater and an atheist.
Sorry to hear that. Mine died about 20 years ago. He was a combat engineer in the Pacific and his battalion typically went into an island before the main invasion forces to build runways and the like as MacArthur hopscotched his way towards Japan. Wound up seeing a lot of combat because lots of those islands had Japanese holdouts who weren't hot on the idea of runways getting built

Sorry to hear that. Mine died about 20 years ago. He was a combat engineer in the Pacific and his battalion typically went into an island before the main invasion forces to build runways and the like as MacArthur hopscotched his way towards Japan. Wound up seeing a lot of combat because lots of those islands had Japanese holdouts who weren't hot on the idea of runways getting built
Personally, in my very humble opinion, combat engineers had cast iron balls and never get the credit they deserve no matter the theater they served. May they rest in peace.

Your arrogance apparently has no bounds. Are you the world's expert on praying?
No arrogance involved...the Bible tells us what to pray for...

That post makes zero sense. Satan rules this world even though he does not have the right but your god does have the right and isn't ruling this world?
Makes perfect sense to those who understand the Bible...

And how many of those have been in combat? And how many of those might have had a change of heart when things started going boom all around them. That's kind of the point of the comment "there are no atheists in foxholes".
If that's the case, then it's not real faith or belief. Rather, it's based on fear.
And it may not mean much to you but I'd wager it means a lot to them, which again is kind of the point.
It's just a psychological comfort mechanism. But it's not true belief. That's the point.

If that's the case, then it's not real faith or belief. Rather, it's based on fear.

It's just a psychological comfort mechanism. But it's not true belief. That's the point.
My point is that there is nothing wrong with psychological comfort mechanisms provided they don’t stop you from taking any concrete steps to better your situation. And that applies equally to true believers and foxhole Christians.

My point is that there is nothing wrong with psychological comfort mechanisms provided they don’t stop you from taking any concrete steps to better your situation. And that applies equally to true believers and foxhole Christians.
I didn't say there was. But "foxhole faith" is not true faith. It's just a fear based reaction. And not everyone may have such a reaction to begin with. So it's disingenuous to say there are "no atheists in foxholes."

I didn't say there was. But "foxhole faith" is not true faith. It's just a fear based reaction. And not everyone may have such a reaction to begin with. So it's disingenuous to say there are "no atheists in foxholes."
Fair enough though it was a common enough saying back then from what I understand. It was a very minor point.

Fair enough though it was a common enough saying back then from what I understand. It was a very minor point.
Common maybe. But still disingenuous.

Common maybe. But still disingenuous.
You are welcome to that opinion. Sufgice to say I disagree. And as I said it really isn’t all that germane to the main point.

You are welcome to that opinion. Sufgice to say I disagree. And as I said it really isn’t all that germane to the main point.
Disagree if you want. But that doesn't cause the fact that atheists serve in the military and there can indeed be "atheists in a foxhole." To suggest otherwise is being disingenuous. Thatsca simple fact.

Yes, it is...as long as Satan rules this world, people will be rebellious...Jehovah is allowing time for those who truly desire to remain faithful to God to prove themselves through their integrity...then the end will come and all those who are left will be willing, faithful servants of Jehovah because they know, without a doubt, He has the right to rule mankind, Satan does not...
Alas, you can not show that statement about Satan is anything more than religious rhetoric.

Disagree if you want. But that doesn't cause the fact that atheists serve in the military and there can indeed be "atheists in a foxhole." To suggest otherwise is being disingenuous. Thatsca simple fact.
jeez you really like harping on inconsequential facts. BFD. And btw disingenuous implies deliberately misleading so you're suggesting that soldiers - like my father in law - who said that were lying? Do you nit pick every aphorism you come across? The next time someone says "if it ain't broke don't fix it" are you gonna call them disingenuous? You must be a blast at parties.

If I were in a nit-picky kinda mood I would point out that "can indeed be atheists in the military" doesn't refute the statement that "there are no atheists in foxholes" since "can" connotes potentiality and not actuality. But that would be overly pedantic.

Last edited:
jeez you really like harping on inconsequential facts. BFD. And btw disingenuous implies deliberately misleading so you're suggesting that soldiers - like my father in law - who said that were lying? Do you nit pick every aphorism you come across? The next time someone says "if it ain't broke don't fix it" are you gonna call them disingenuous? You must be a blast at parties.

If I were in a nit-picky kinda mood I would point out that "can indeed be atheists in the military" doesn't refute the statement that "there are no atheists in foxholes" since "can" connotes potentiality and not actuality. But that would be overly pedantic.
I simply stated a fact. No more, no less.

I simply stated a fact. No more, no less.
"disingenuous" may be factual if you have proof that someone is being misleading. Otherwise it's a value judgment. In this case it's the latter. And that will be my last word on the subject. Have a good one.

"disingenuous" may be factual if you have proof that someone is being misleading. Otherwise it's a value judgment. In this case it's the latter. And that will be my last word on the subject. Have a good one.
The statement "there are no atheists in foxholes" is misleading, as is claiming an atheist would become a theist in a combat situation. Such claims are disingenuous.

Back
Top Bottom