• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So I'm thinking of going into teaching

the makeout hobo

Rockin' In The Free World
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Though I've been taking a slightly scenic route, I'm tranferring this summer from community college to CSU San Jose to get a bachelors in history. My eventual plan is to get into teaching. Part of this is because I love talking about history, and getting paid for it would be great. Part of this is because I have a calm patient temperment and love to explain things. I'm sure the only reason my girlfriend has put up with so many ramblings on the Byzantine Empire is because I make up for it as a cook. Either way, it's a career I'm interested in, and that I think I'd be good at. Anyone's thoughts or advice on this? Is this a great idea, or a horrible idea, or something in between? Anything I need to keep in mind?

The obvious money-making opportunities aren't really there for a History degree, but if it's something you are passionate about, go for it.

There are some opportunities beyond teaching. You can always try your hand as a paid consultant for television and film.

Also, don't get me started on the Byzantine Empire and the Seljuk Turks. My girlfriend rolls her eyes every time I compare the two.

The obvious money-making opportunities aren't really there for a History degree, but if it's something you are passionate about, go for it.

There are some opportunities beyond teaching. You can always try your hand as a paid consultant for television and film.

Also, don't get me started on the Byzantine Empire and the Seljuk Turks. My girlfriend rolls her eyes every time I compare the two.

I'm not too worried, money wise. As long as I have enough to get by, I'm happy. Though I'm curious how I get to be a paid history consultant. It seems difficult.

Also, you seem like you'd be fun to talk about that era of history with. Maybe i'll start a thread sometime.

I'm not too worried, money wise. As long as I have enough to get by, I'm happy. Though I'm curious how I get to be a paid history consultant. It seems difficult.

Also, you seem like you'd be fun to talk about that era of history with. Maybe i'll start a thread sometime.

For some info on jobs, here is a website that may be helpful: Careers for Students of History: Table of Contents

I find that time period very interesting, especially the politics of the Crusades and such. My aunt has a Ph.D in religious studies with an emphasis on that time period, and actually wrote her dissertation on the Cathars, an group that practiced a form of Christianity that the church deemed heretical, which set-off the inquisition. Not to derail, but she theorizes that far from being a heretical off-shoot, the Cathars actually practiced a much earlier form of Christianity. It's quite an interesting theory and the many hours we spent discussing the nature of that time sparked my own interest in the period.

The world needs good teachers. Have you thought about what level you want to teach at? While you maye have a fascination for older cultures, your students may not share that passion. Even teaching entry level college courses might be frustrating. You might face frustration with unmotivated students and even more unmotivated faculty members. As long as you remain committed to the idea that all that you can do is what you can do but you can do what you can do, you will probably be successful at it. Its late/early and Im not sure if that makes sense. Im married to an adjunct English professor and her greatest frustration has always been the politics of the education system (which truly has nothing to do with 'education').

Makeout Hbbo: "I'm not too worried, money wise. As long as I have enough to get by, I'm happy. Though I'm curious how I get to be a paid history consultant. It seems difficult."

Are you married yet?

Makeout Hbbo: "I'm not too worried, money wise. As long as I have enough to get by, I'm happy. Though I'm curious how I get to be a paid history consultant. It seems difficult."

Are you married yet?

No, I'm not. I'm 23 and don't want to get married till I have a career and an education. my girlfriend is a librarian for what its worth.

The world needs good teachers. Have you thought about what level you want to teach at? While you maye have a fascination for older cultures, your students may not share that passion. Even teaching entry level college courses might be frustrating. You might face frustration with unmotivated students and even more unmotivated faculty members. As long as you remain committed to the idea that all that you can do is what you can do but you can do what you can do, you will probably be successful at it. Its late/early and Im not sure if that makes sense. Im married to an adjunct English professor and her greatest frustration has always been the politics of the education system (which truly has nothing to do with 'education').

Well eventually I'd want to teach at the college level, but since that's dead man's pointy shoes, I'm leaning towards HS. I remember high school and I know that I'll have to deal with politics and unmotivated students, but no job's perfect, and I remember I was that one kid who just burned with zeal for the subject. It's the students like myself that I figure will make it worth it. I get what you're saying though. Do everything I can, and be satisfied with that. We'll see.

Hi to everyone,
teaching is a very noble profession in the universe.
For the better future teacher plays the vital role in the grooming of the person.
And every person need a good teacher , now a days good teacher are so low.
thanx for sharing of your comments..

It's the students like myself that I figure will make it worth it. .

for every 1 student like yourself, there will be 40 unmotivated jackasses. trust me, it's not worth it. I taught in public school for 11 years.

for every 1 student like yourself, there will be 40 unmotivated jackasses. trust me, it's not worth it. I taught in public school for 11 years.

I taught for 33 years and found the ratio to be radically different from your experience. The vast majority of students were wonderful children, eager to learn and better themselves.

But regrdless of the ratio, I am reminded of the end of the great play and film CAMELOT. King Arthur has gone to France and has his army assembling in the pre-dawn hours to attack the castle of Lancelot who has his Queen. Arthur has seen his treasured Camelot divided, his Round Table spit and destroyed, and his hopes for a better England smashed in favor of mindless revenge. He is at his lowest point.

In the rushes he hears some noise and he draws his sword and orders the unseen cuprit to come out. A ten year old comes out and says his name is Tom of Warwick and he stowed away in the bottom of the troop boats and is here to fight for the Round Table. Arthurs friend King Pellinore wants to thrash the boy but Arthur orders him to tell what he knows about the Round Table. Young Tom of Warwick then stands tall and proud and talks about might for right and all the high principles Arthur believes in but believes he has now lost to war.

Arthur tells the boy to go back to England and spread the word about the Round Table and the Knights of King Arthur. King Pellinore is confused and asks Arthur "who was that boy?"

Arthur tells him that the boy is "just one drop is a very large sea..... but some of those drops do sparkl Pelly.... some of them do sparkle."

That is the way life is. Some of our students do sparkle.

Recently I began a second career as a chief of staff for a State Legislator in Michigan. I taught for 33 years, was retired, and came out of retirment to get him elected. Now I do this for a good sixty hours each week.

He was a former student of mine who graduated in 1990.

Some of them do sparkle Oscar. Some of them do sparkle.

Last edited:
I wish I could be as eloquent as haymarket, but all I can say is that I love teaching. I've been teaching nearly 20 years and I have no desire to do anything else. It is a lot of hard work and can be frustrating but I find that focusing on the students helps me get by those difficult times. You'll have classes that you enjoy and those you dread, but it is never boring and no two days are alike. Good luck.

I wish I could be as eloquent as haymarket, but all I can say is that I love teaching. I've been teaching nearly 20 years and I have no desire to do anything else. It is a lot of hard work and can be frustrating but I find that focusing on the students helps me get by those difficult times. You'll have classes that you enjoy and those you dread, but it is never boring and no two days are alike. Good luck.

Thank you all for your advice. Out of curiousity, what did you teach, layla and haymarket?

Thank you all for your advice. Out of curiousity, what did you teach, layla and haymarket?

I taught Government and US History - the first decade at the Junior High level and the last 23 years at the High School level. Most kids get out of junior high in three years so I guess I was held back. The district I worked for had a policy - unwritten of course - that they wanted high school teachers, especially males, to be a good ten years older than the kids they would teach to avoid teh obvious problems arising. From time to time I would teach other electives as well including Psychology, Sociology, Basic/Street Law and even a class on Film History for a few years.

Layla is 100% right - no two days are ever alike. And that is a very good thing.:)

Currently I teach 5th - 12th grade bands, a general music class, and a couple of elementary grades. In the past I've taught all elementary music and vocal music. I've also taught pre-school.

Though I've been taking a slightly scenic route, I'm tranferring this summer from community college to CSU San Jose to get a bachelors in history. My eventual plan is to get into teaching. Part of this is because I love talking about history, and getting paid for it would be great. Part of this is because I have a calm patient temperment and love to explain things. I'm sure the only reason my girlfriend has put up with so many ramblings on the Byzantine Empire is because I make up for it as a cook. Either way, it's a career I'm interested in, and that I think I'd be good at. Anyone's thoughts or advice on this? Is this a great idea, or a horrible idea, or something in between? Anything I need to keep in mind?

Go for it. People who have a passion for history need to be in schools teaching it.

The pay's more than decent...summers off have obvious advantages...the benefits are excellent...retirement's pretty darned good...you love history...you thoroughly enjoy its discussion...what's not to like? Good luck!!!

@ The Book -- maybe you'd better learn to cook. ;)

I taught for 33 years and found the ratio to be radically different from your experience. The vast majority of students were wonderful children, eager to learn and better themselves.

But regrdless of the ratio, I am reminded of the end of the great play and film CAMELOT. King Arthur has gone to France and has his army assembling in the pre-dawn hours to attack the castle of Lancelot who has his Queen. Arthur has seen his treasured Camelot divided, his Round Table spit and destroyed, and his hopes for a better England smashed in favor of mindless revenge. He is at his lowest point.

In the rushes he hears some noise and he draws his sword and orders the unseen cuprit to come out. A ten year old comes out and says his name is Tom of Warwick and he stowed away in the bottom of the troop boats and is here to fight for the Round Table. Arthurs friend King Pellinore wants to thrash the boy but Arthur orders him to tell what he knows about the Round Table. Young Tom of Warwick then stands tall and proud and talks about might for right and all the high principles Arthur believes in but believes he has now lost to war.

Arthur tells the boy to go back to England and spread the word about the Round Table and the Knights of King Arthur. King Pellinore is confused and asks Arthur "who was that boy?"

Arthur tells him that the boy is "just one drop is a very large sea..... but some of those drops do sparkl Pelly.... some of them do sparkle."

Recently I began a second career as a chief of staff for a State Legislator in Michigan. I taught for 33 years, was retired, and came out of retirment to get him elected. Now I do this for a good sixty hours each week.

^^ Your bestest post on DP!!

post_usmc_become-marine-officer_ww2.jpg

But seriously if that what you want go for it.

You probably wouldn't consider me one of your bigger "fans", in general... and no we don't often agree on much... but that was an absolutely awesome post. Every teacher in the country ought to read it and be inspired.

You probably wouldn't consider me one of your bigger "fans", in general... and no we don't often agree on much... but that was an absolutely awesome post. Every teacher in the country ought to read it and be inspired.

Thank you very much for those sincere words Goshin. Maggie earlier had made my day... and you have now made my evening.

for what its worth - I consider myself very very lucky to have been able to do a job that I was very good at and was able to touch so many other peoples lives in a positive way. The fact that I now work for a former student who singled me out of all the people whom they have known to shepherd their professional career in politics - well, that is very humbling and a very high honor.

Anybody who feels a calling - in anything - teaching or whatever - should do it. If you can do something you love it is like getting paid twice. And now with a second career because of what I did in the first one, its even more of a bonus.

Thanks again Goshin. :)

Haymarket, what a great post! :)

Oscar, in the words of Pellegrina from The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane (you ALL should read that)....you disappoint me. I would hate to have a teacher who hated his job and most of the students.

hobo, I've been a teaching for almost 10 years and it's wonderful. Yes, there are kids that are lazy and annoying and obnoxious, but if you're a GOOD teacher, you'll light a spark in them. We desperately need history teachers that actually enjoy the topic and not just doing it so they can coach. I had an awesome geography teacher in high school that was crazy in love with maps and history and everything. He was the most entertaining teacher I've ever had and I LEARNED from him. I didn't like geography until that class.

There are minor things about teaching that might get on your nerves - politics, gossiping, catty stuff, etc. But the kids make up for it. It's so much fun to watch kids when they learn something new. Most kids WANT to learn and having a boring, crabby ole teacher who hates his job will ruin the year for them. Please go into teaching history! We need you out there. :)

Is your love of "talking about history" worthy of your lifes work? Is it going to challenge you, push your boundaries, achieve your goals?

Having mused about teaching with close friends in our early years, I can relate (history being the one that came up most often...for me it was biology). But teaching was also the profession we knew the most about...having had over a decade of exposure to "teachers"...kind of like kids who do what their parents do, you know what I mean. We were also daunted (and fearful) about "what else" we could do...we didn't even know where to start frankly. But that's all normal. If it's your passion, you'll make it work no matter what it is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom