• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So, I take it Your God Killed Jesus

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
As someone who actually liked the guy they called Jesus, I'm a little pissed that this god had him murdered. Oh, god had Jesus killed all right. Remember, god sent the boy here to die...or so we are led to believe. So, if that is true, then god killed that boy dead.

I ask. Why?

Isn't it kind of sick to worship a god who murders his own son in front of an entire town? And, what was the point of it anyway? Did he do it just to prove he could? None of this crucifixion myth makes sense.

Is it not much more reasonable to believe that Jesus, the man, stirred enough animus that the locals formed a mob to take him out? No god. Just people doing what they do best, overreacting with violence.

First, Jesus had to be hung on a stake to free the Jews from a special curse. (Gal. 3:10, 13) They had agreed to observe God’s Law but had fallen far short of keeping it. As a result, this curse was in addition to their condemnation as offspring of sinful Adam. (Rom. 5:12) God’s Law to Israel stated that a man who committed a sin deserving of death should be executed. Afterward, his dead body may be hung on a stake.* (Deut. 21:22, 23; 27:26) So by being hung on a stake, Jesus made it possible for the very nation that rejected him to benefit from his sacrifice.

Consider a second reason why God allowed his Son to suffer. He was training Jesus for his future role as our High Priest. Jesus experienced how difficult it is to obey God when under extreme test. He felt so much pressure that he prayed for help “with strong outcries and tears.” Certainly, having gone through wrenching emotional distress, Jesus himself understands our needs and “is able to come to [our] aid” when we “are being put to the test.” How grateful we are to Jehovah for appointing over us a merciful High Priest who can “sympathize with our weaknesses”!—Heb. 2:17, 18; 4:14-16; 5:7-10.

Third, Jehovah allowed Jesus to suffer so severely in order to answer an important question: Can humans demonstrate godly devotion even when severely tested? Satan says no! He claims that humans serve God for selfish reasons. And he believes that—like their forefather Adam—they are not devoted to Jehovah. (Job 1:9-11; 2:4, 5) Confident in the loyalty of his Son, Jehovah allowed Jesus to be tested to the limit of human endurance. Jesus maintained his integrity and proved Satan a liar.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2021366?q=why+did+jesus+have+to+die&p=sen

First, Jesus had to be hung on a stake to free the Jews from a special curse. (Gal. 3:10, 13) They had agreed to observe God’s Law but had fallen far short of keeping it. As a result, this curse was in addition to their condemnation as offspring of sinful Adam. (Rom. 5:12) God’s Law to Israel stated that a man who committed a sin deserving of death should be executed. Afterward, his dead body may be hung on a stake.* (Deut. 21:22, 23; 27:26) So by being hung on a stake, Jesus made it possible for the very nation that rejected him to benefit from his sacrifice.

Consider a second reason why God allowed his Son to suffer. He was training Jesus for his future role as our High Priest. Jesus experienced how difficult it is to obey God when under extreme test. He felt so much pressure that he prayed for help “with strong outcries and tears.” Certainly, having gone through wrenching emotional distress, Jesus himself understands our needs and “is able to come to [our] aid” when we “are being put to the test.” How grateful we are to Jehovah for appointing over us a merciful High Priest who can “sympathize with our weaknesses”!—Heb. 2:17, 18; 4:14-16; 5:7-10.

Third, Jehovah allowed Jesus to suffer so severely in order to answer an important question: Can humans demonstrate godly devotion even when severely tested? Satan says no! He claims that humans serve God for selfish reasons. And he believes that—like their forefather Adam—they are not devoted to Jehovah. (Job 1:9-11; 2:4, 5) Confident in the loyalty of his Son, Jehovah allowed Jesus to be tested to the limit of human endurance. Jesus maintained his integrity and proved Satan a liar.

Nah, Jesus was a man who other men tortured and killed. If this god you describe exists, he actually planned it and set the deed in motion, using the men as puppets.

Nah, Jesus was a man who other men tortured. If this god you describe exists, he actually planned it and set the deed in motion.
Nah, you didn't have time to read that...

I am atheist, but surely you know this is just a bait thread. The whole concept of original sin and Jesus' sacrifice for our sins is very clear in the Bible.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life."

I am atheist, but surely you know this is just a bait thread. The whole concept of original sin and Jesus' sacrifice for our sins is very clear in the Bible.
Isn't the while idea of sacrificing another human being, hanging the dude on a cross no less, a bit sick? I mean, come on. We have an entire religion devoted to a god that had his son tortured and killed up on a hill.
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life."
Empty words, broh. Fact is, if we are to believe the Christ myth, God had his son murdered to prove a point.

Nah, you didn't have time to read that...
I know what I believe. And, I believe that either this particular god does not exist (the preferred belief), or he is so evil that he strung his son up on a cross for the town to watch him die.

I know what I believe. And, I believe that either this particular god does not exist (the preferred belief), or he is so evil that he strung his son up on a cross for the town to watch him die.
You'd be wrong...

No, original sin is not clear in the bible. Jesus' sacrifice, well in the new testament, but original sin is not clear in the bible. Judaism not not believe in the doctrine of original sin.

As someone who actually liked the guy they called Jesus, I'm a little pissed that this god had him murdered. Oh, god had Jesus killed all right. Remember, god sent the boy here to die...or so we are led to believe. So, if that is true, then god killed that boy dead.

I ask. Why?

Isn't it kind of sick to worship a god who murders his own son in front of an entire town? And, what was the point of it anyway? Did he do it just to prove he could? None of this crucifixion myth makes sense.

God did it to forgive you for your sins.

Sure, he could've just....y'know....forgiven you.

Sure, if it was a test, he could've just looked at your heart and life.

Sure, it could've taken any form other than making a human get nailed to pieces of wood.

Sure, all sorts of things.

But don't worry. God moves in mysterious ways. So say your prayers, keep your head down, and hope for the best....

Is it not much more reasonable to believe that Jesus, the man, stirred enough animus that the locals formed a mob to take him out? No god. Just people doing what they do best, overreacting with violence.

The Roman Empire was not a fan of potential alternate power bases. That and revolution are the biggest threats to any empire, and they tend to go hand in hand.

Which is a way of saying "bingo" with too many words.

God did it to forgive you for your sins.

Sure, he could've just....y'know....forgiven you.

Sure, if it was a test, he could've just looked at your heart and life.

Sure, it could've taken any form other than making a human get nailed to pieces of wood.

Sure, all sorts of things.

But don't worry. God moves in mysterious ways. So say your prayers, keep your head down, and hope for the best....

The Roman Empire was not a fan of potential alternate power bases. That and revolution are the biggest threats to any empire, and they tend to go hand in hand.

Which is a way of saying "bingo" with too many words.
Yeah. I mean...well. It’s not like I’m trying to shred the religion. I am only saying, “Wait! Something is very wrong.”

I guess I just don’t understand why everyone doesn’t see the obvious here. The Crucifixion theme just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

It’s not like it’s bad fiction. Hell, it might even be good fiction. But, surely, this is not something people should look at as real.

Man, too much drama. Can we change the channel? I prefer cooking shows.

Man, too much drama. Can we change the channel? I prefer cooking shows.
Yeah, some people prefer the lies...I understand...

God, for all his power and anger and knowledge sure can’t figure out how to do anything he sets out to do.

Creates Adam & Eve. They screw it all up.

Floods world and kills everything except Noah and the things on his Ark.

Does the whole Jesus thing... most of the world doesn’t believe it.

The Bible... most of the world doesn’t believe it.

Has god done anything right ???

I ask. Why?

Religion evolved as culture evolved. That is what worked then. Now we have science.

Ok, let's take this a little further, looking at it from all angles, fiction, non-fiction, myth, fact, godly intervention, you name it.

There was a man baptized by John named Jesus. This was probably not his name, but it's likely close enough. So, let's say that I believe someone like Jesus existed. Sure. Why not? The historical evidence suggests he did, so I'll accept that. I also accept that this Jesus guy pissed off a lot of people: Romans, Jews, rabbis, provincial governors, etc.

Jesus was your all around trouble maker, a disrupter of the order of things. A radical who made enemies of the powers that be: the conservatives, if you will; those who wanted to keep things just as they always were. So far so good. This rebellious nature of the good man Jesus is why I like the guy. Let's just say, Jesus is my kind of dude.

So, God sends down Jesus, knowing damned well that he is going to stir up some serious shit. Ok, at this point, God is my kind of dude too. After all, the shit back then did need some serious stirring. But, wait! Things go horribly wrong for Jesus. He gets betrayed by one of his loyal followers. The authorities round him up. A mob overrules any chance of a pardon. The guy gets condemned to death. It's a great narrative for a plot, a metaphor of sorts showing that people are always going to reject the interloper, even one who is the son of their god. People bad, hence, they need forgiving.

Now, this is where we have to separate the fact from fiction. In fact-land, nothing in this outcome comes as a surprise to god. So, the whole passion play is an unnecessary exercise in futility. The closest one can come to explaining the why for it is to say god somehow had to experience life as a man to understand him. But, why? God made man. Surely he understands man...well, at least one would hope he does.

Anyway, it makes much more sense as a great tale than it does a documentary.

Jesus ain't dead.

Isn't the while idea of sacrificing another human being, hanging the dude on a cross no less, a bit sick? I mean, come on. We have an entire religion devoted to a god that had his son tortured and killed up on a hill.

Empty words, broh. Fact is, if we are to believe the Christ myth, God had his son murdered to prove a point.

I am not saying it makes clear moral sense. The concept of inherited sin is immoral in and of itself, it's like what they do in North Korea where subsequent generations are punished for the transgressions of their parents. I am just saying that is is clearly laid out in the Bible.

No, original sin is not clear in the bible. Jesus' sacrifice, well in the new testament, but original sin is not clear in the bible. Judaism not not believe in the doctrine of original sin.
Because the concept is established by Paul in his letters. There is no clear concept of original sin the Hebrew Bible.

I ask. Why?

Well - your title is faulty. God didn't kill Jesus.

God is Jesus (as a human).....and He voluntarily died for us.

Big difference.

:rolleyes:

Why would Jesus (the mere man) want to stir up animus? For what? It's not like as if He and His folllowers were getting rich for it.

And you're forgetting one thing: how can a mere man raise up the dead and heal the sick and perform other miracles such as exorcism.
Why were the demons scared of Him?

Tha's what made Him popular: His miracles!

Lol. How can you reasonably explain that!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom