• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So I saw "The Conjuring" yesterday..

Same here. I gave up on fairy-tales and things lurking under the beds a long time ago.

Are there any types of movies that you do like? Because they're all "Fairy tales" in a very real sense.

me and the wife saw The Conjuring the other day, mostly because we live about 15 min from that house, I used to work with Andrea, and I'm friends with her (slightly out of touch currently) and promised I'd go see it. She said its not 100% accurate, but she talked about some of the freaky things that happened to them long before she wrote that book. Personally I'm not a huge horror flick fan, I often find myself chuckling during the "scary parts", it was moderately entertaining though. The current owners of the house are pretty upset, people are showing up in the middle of the night looking for that tree (which would be 250~ years old now?), and they think the Perrons are making it all up for a quick buck.

There was a movie out a few years ago called A Haunting in Connecticut that was also based on actual events. The new owners of the house had the same problem. People were showing up all the time, wanting pictures of the house. They took it much more in stride, though. They were like, "Yeah, sure. Come on and take a picture."

I'm sure that the writers took some creative license with it, because honestly, most true stories would be somewhat boring without a little sexying it up from Hollywood. But all in all, it was interesting, and I was glad to see Lorraine Warran sitting in a cameo in the movie. Told me that she approved of the movie, or she wouldn't have agreed to be in it.

And welcome to the board. :2wave:

I just saw "Jack Reacher" with Tom Cruise and I find this kind of movie a refreshing break from all the CGI/Fantasy driven epics that bombard the big screens. I like those types of shows but a little variety with good story telling and acting is nice.

My husband loved the movie. He's read all the books, and we aren't big Tom Cruise fans, so we went into it expecting nothing, and came away moderately surprised. Hubs used to be an MP, and his favorite part of the movie was where the cop asked Reacher, "What do MPs do?" to which replied, "Well there's a big difference between MPs and police. If you are an MP, all of your suspects are trained killers." :lol: He loved that, because police always give MPs a hard time, saying they aren't real police.

I just saw "Jack Reacher" with Tom Cruise and I find this kind of movie a refreshing break from all the CGI/Fantasy driven epics that bombard the big screens. I like those types of shows but a little variety with good story telling and acting is nice.

It's hard to buy into a mercenary that's 5'4".

My husband loved the movie. He's read all the books, and we aren't big Tom Cruise fans, so we went into it expecting nothing, and came away moderately surprised. Hubs used to be an MP, and his favorite part of the movie was where the cop asked Reacher, "What do MPs do?" to which replied, "Well there's a big difference between MPs and police. If you are an MP, all of your suspects are trained killers." :lol: He loved that, because police always give MPs a hard time, saying they aren't real police.

I have a friend who was an SP (Security Police-Air Force) that was guarding a nuclear ICBM section of a base, when a drunk soldier wandered into a secure area. He shouted to the guy "freeze" but he kept walking, probably didn't understand being inebriated. He shouted one more time, then aimed his M16 and pulled back the bolt. He said the soldier froze in his footsteps shaking when he heard that locking sound from the weapon. :shock:

Can't say that I was impressed. The first hour and a half was SLOWWWW and the actress that played the mother was horrible and unbelievable.

I give this 2 1/2 stars. Wait till it's out at Redbox, Netflix, or cable. Not worth the full movie price IMO.

I thought it was good :shrug: and well directed in the fact that it didn't have to involve a whole lot of gore or violence to scare you. To each their own i suppose.

I have a friend who was an SP (Security Police-Air Force) that was guarding a nuclear ICBM section of a base, when a drunk soldier wandered into a secure area. He shouted to the guy "freeze" but he kept walking, probably didn't understand being inebriated. He shouted one more time, then aimed his M16 and pulled back the bolt. He said the soldier froze in his footsteps shaking when he heard that locking sound from the weapon. :shock:

That's one of the scariest sounds in the world. :lol:

I don't know TGND ... saw it as well and think it was better than that ... it was slow at first (but not for an hour and a half), but if you go in not expecting the best horror film of all time, it was better than usual ... Rottentomatoes gave it an 85% and the audience 89% ... I'd give it a 3 1/2, maybe a 4 (because my 18 year old son liked it more than I did) out of 5 ...

What have been your favorite scary" films ... I'm old, so Psycho is still up there for me, I liked the first Aliens, and thought The Grudge was pretty scary, Silence of the Lambs, the Shining and the Ring were decent enough, ... (I thought the book the Exorcist was scary, but the movie disappointed) ..

Good evening,WD! :2wave:

I hadn't even heard of this one! My grandkids are usually the first ones in line to see something scary, and they haven't even mentioned it!

Agree totally on your choices, too. Psycho still scares me, and I have seen it so many times I can recite the lines! :eek:

Good evening,WD! :2wave:

I hadn't even heard of this one! My grandkids are usually the first ones in line to see something scary, and they haven't even mentioned it!

Agree totally on your choices, too. Psycho still scares me, and I have seen it so many times I can recite the lines! :eek:

there really is something about Psycho that is for the ages ... that many films can do that ... Remember "Some Like It Hot?" Still makes me laugh and when my boys were like 9 and 13 THEY laughed! Priceless films ...

I'm on vacation, but I can't tell you where because I'm somewhere where I'm probably the only Puerto Rican so I don't want one of the gun crazies on these threads looking for me -- In this place they'd find me in a heartbeat or kill some innocent Puerto Rican guy who made a wrong turn andv ended up here by mistake ... gotta go, take care ... if Jack responds to me on the Benghazi thread where I just responded to him, pleasse respond to him the way I would for me ... thanks ...

there really is something about Psycho that is for the ages ... that many films can do that ... Remember "Some Like It Hot?" Still makes me laugh and when my boys were like 9 and 13 THEY laughed! Priceless films ...

I'm on vacation, but I can't tell you where because I'm somewhere where I'm probably the only Puerto Rican so I don't want one of the gun crazies on these threads looking for me -- In this place they'd find me in a heartbeat or kill some innocent Puerto Rican guy who made a wrong turn andv ended up here by mistake ... gotta go, take care ... if Jack responds to me on the Benghazi thread where I just responded to him, pleasse respond to him the way I would for me ... thanks ...

WD, NOBODY speaks for Jack! Are you trying to get me in hot water? Have an enjoyable vacation, but hurry back before someone recognizes you. Humbolt advises that no direct eye contact be made, so remember that! :lamo:

Back
Top Bottom