• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So I just learned the hard way....

Jerry

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
....you can't buy a handgun from an FFL outside your resident state.

What the hell?

I was at a pawn shop this morning and asked about a revolver. The store owner and I got to talking and I mentioned I was from SD. That's when he let me know that if I bought the revolver he would have to ship it to an FFL in SD and I would have to pick it up there.

So, I can carry in this state, and I can buy a much more powerful rifle in this state, but I cannot buy a compact pistol.

How does that make any sense?

Abolish the ATF and delete all gun control law.

What the hell?

I was at a pawn shop this morning and asked about a revolver. The store owner and I got to talking and I mentioned I was from SD. That's when he let me know that if I bought the revolver he would have to ship it to an FFL in SD and I would have to pick it up there.

So, I can carry in this state, and I can buy a much more powerful rifle in this state, but I cannot buy a compact pistol.

That's been the case since 1968 or so.

That's been the case since 1968 or so.
News to me, that was the first time I've ever been a serious gun customer out-of-state.

A friend told me that I can still buy privately, though.

Well **** this adds a whole new layer of objection regarding any requirement to have to use an FFL for private gun sales. I'm even more dead-set against it and I didn't think that was possible.

News to me, that was the first time I've ever been a serious gun customer out-of-state.

A friend told me that I can still buy privately, though.

Well **** this adds a whole new layer of objection regarding any requirement to have to use an FFL for private gun sales. I'm even more dead-set against it and I didn't think that was possible.

A private seller is also required to send the firearm to an FFL in your state if he has reason to believe that you're from out of state. Whether or not you bring that information up in the conversation is up to you. Personally, I find it a lot easier to just do things 100% above board and avoid any hassles that might cause me more trouble down the road.

A private seller is also required to send the firearm to an FFL in your state if he has reason to believe that you're from out of state.
Say whaaat?

What the hell?

Use a straw purchaser and smuggle it across state lines in your rectum :lamo

The GCA of 1968 made transfers of firearms between residents of different states illegal unless they went through an FFL.
That's some premium bull**** right there.

"shall not be infringed."

Yeah right.

That's some premium bull**** right there.

Well, after Bobby and Martin got whacked congress had one of those "something needs to be done right now!" moments. It's a reminder of why we need to oppose knee jerk gun laws every time they come up.

A private seller is also required to send the firearm to an FFL in your state if he has reason to believe that you're from out of state. Whether or not you bring that information up in the conversation is up to you. Personally, I find it a lot easier to just do things 100% above board and avoid any hassles that might cause me more trouble down the road.
Let me throw this one at you....I bring a handgun with me to another state. While there, can I have some work don on the gun, and get it back, or would it have to be sent to my resident state after the work is don?

Let me throw this one at you....I bring a handgun with me to another state. While there, can I have some work don on the gun, and get it back, or would it have to be sent to my resident state after the work is don?

Since it's a temporary transfer with no intent to dispose of the firearm that should be OK. If you use an FFL there wouldn't be any question but if you're using someone unlicensed you should be there with them (though the odds of anyone finding out are infinitesimal).

What the hell?

Just like buying a gun online. Has to be shipped to a FFL.

Just like buying a gun online. Has to be shipped to a FFL.
You don't understand...I thought I could walk out of the store with it since I can legally carry in this state.

Nope.

So I can buy a gun in OK, but I have to run back up to SD to pick it up before coming back to OK and carrying that same gun in OK. How is that logical in any way?

Well, after Bobby and Martin got whacked congress had one of those "something needs to be done right now!" moments. It's a reminder of why we need to oppose knee jerk gun laws every time they come up.

actually dems passed it because nixon and other GOPers were starting to make strategically winning arguments that the dems were soft on (mostly black) street crime

Gun control was a scheme were the dems could claim they were passing crime control laws without actually hurting criminals

You don't understand...I thought I could walk out of the store with it since I can legally carry in this state.

Nope.

So I can buy a gun in OK, but I have to run back up to SD to pick it up before coming back to OK and carrying that same gun in OK. How is that logical in any way?
You dont have to run anywhere, yall have UPS out there right?

As well as many "straw buyer" volunteers that may be even cheaper than shipping the gun from OK to SD and back. ;)

Yea when my father passes away I have to go to my previous state and drive the weapons to my place of residence. It would cost allot to ship them all through an FFL. Fortunately registration is not required in Florida. Thank goodness. It would cost thousands to do it through shipping and an FFL.

As well as many "straw buyer" volunteers that may be even cheaper than shipping the gun from OK to SD and back. ;)

Do you have a friend in that state? Give him the money, let him buy it. Make out a reciept that you are buying it from him, take gun home. Pretty simple. Short of either of you being felons or crazy or dishonorable discharged there should be no issue.

Yea when my father passes away I have to go to my previous state and drive the weapons to my place of residence. It would cost allot to ship them all through an FFL. Fortunately registration is not required in Florida. Thank goodness. It would cost thousands to do it through shipping and an FFL.

Just be sure to have a copy of the will, death cert and serial numbers of each gun.
I would hate to hear you got pulled over for some BS and ended up losing all the guns to some cop on the side of the road.

The law requires that I receive the gun from an FFL in my resident state. That means I have to physically go to the FFL in my resident state, fill out the 4473, and take possession of the gun. From that point I would carry the gun on my person back to the non-resident state I work in.

So what does UPS have to do with anything?

Back
Top Bottom