• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So I GOTTA Bitch About the WIFE Again.

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
A few years back I bought her the Jeep Wrangler of her dreams with some inheritance money I had. I hate the sonofabitch, but it reminds her of riding in a HUMVEE which she still loves even after all the harm she has suffered fighting for this country coupled with her lack of respect and faith in this government, which is new to her but old to me....I have long felt that way.

So I never drive it. She had said that she was hearing some axle noise so I asked her if the oil change people she uses in Seattle check the brakes, it is a Firestone I think. She says yes, they are fine. We put this on the mind for taking to our mechanic but she has been working a lot for months and we dont get it done. TOday she wakes me up to say that her Brakes "Blew-Up" as she was driving by JBLM, so she drove it home and now she needs a ride to the Sounder Train Station in Lakewood.

Me: Your brakes "Blew-up"

Her: Ya, dont freak out, just take me to the train station

She also wanted to come home today and drive it to the repair shop because a tow would be "waste of money". So I take her to the station, then call a tow truck because I am not stupid. They called me later to tell me that the front pads were a 0%, and that after the brakes got hot enough they decided to quit.

I talk to her later and tell her what happened to the brakes and that the car guy tells me that she is lucky to be alive because the brake fluid was all long gone after the caliper on the front drivers side disintegrated.... I ask her how she can be at 0% brakes on both fronts and 5% on the rears when the oil was changed 4 months go and they were "fine"......

"oh, well I thought they check the brakes".

:slapme:

I should have known.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you're bitching at her. If you didn't drive it you don't have much standing in my book. If the brakes were that bad you'd have felt them and heard them grinding on the rotor.

I understand that it was her ride and that you trust her. That's great. But if she's hearing a noise that could be (was) a safety issue and as far as I'm concerned you've got a responsibility to check it out.

A few years back I bought her the Jeep Wrangler of her dreams with some inheritance money I had. I hate the sonofabitch, but it reminds her of riding in a HUMVEE which she still loves even after all the harm she has suffered fighting for this country coupled with her lack of respect and faith in this government, which is new to her but old to me....I have long felt that way.

So I never drive it. She had said that she was hearing some axle noise so I asked her if the oil change people she uses in Seattle check the brakes, it is a Firestone I think. She says yes, they are fine. We put this on the mind for taking to our mechanic but she has been working a lot for months and we dont get it done. TOday she wakes me up to say that her Brakes "Blew-Up" as she was driving by JBLM, so she drove it home and now she needs a ride to the Sounder Train Station in Lakewood.

She also wanted to come home today and drive it to the repair shop because a tow would be "waste of money". So I take her to the station, then call a tow truck because I am not stupid. They called me later to tell me that the front pads were a 0%, and that after the brakes got hot enough they decided to quit.

I talk to her later and tell her what happened to the brakes and that the car guy tells me that she is lucky to be alive because the brake fluid was all long gone after the caliper on the front drivers side disintegrated.... I ask her how she can be at 0% brakes on both fronts and 5% on the rears when the oil was changed 4 months go and they were "fine"......

I should have known.

Firestone, been round and round with their idiots, I would drive my car off a cliff before bring one back to them.

Firestone, been round and round with their idiots, I would drive my car off a cliff before bring one back to them.

Firestone, Midas, Meineke, Pep Boys...those places are often scary. I took a car to Pep Boys once to get a new rim and tire. The right front rim was cracked at one of the lugs enough that I could shove a dime in the crack and it was probably 3" long. I bought a new rim and two new tires. My instructions were to replace both front tires and replace the cracked rim. It's a good thing I was watching because the idiots put a brand new tire on the obviously cracked rim and were about to put it back on my car.

Ya, and they should check the brakes, and they might just say they do but dont. I would not put much past them, but it is up right by where she works and is very handly and a lot of her workmates use them...I lost that argument that this was stupid. And I did argue the point, you know how I like to argue, right?

Thing is my wife has a well above MENSA min IQ, she is 50, she for years PCMS'ed military gear, and she knew because I told her at several points that keeping an eye on the brakes is important and oh BTW..... "haven't you been driving a lot, DEAR?" I asked.

And yet, and YET, she does not understand what all of those squallers going off are trying to communicate to her??!!

Last edited:
Firestone, Midas, Meineke, Pep Boys...those places are often scary. I took a car to Pep Boys once to get a new rim and tire. The right front rim was cracked at one of the lugs enough that I could shove a dime in the crack and it was probably 3" long. I bought a new rim and two new tires. My instructions were to replace both front tires and replace the cracked rim. It's a good thing I was watching because the idiots put a brand new tire on the obviously cracked rim and were about to put it back on my car.

Yeah, I avoid the Chain shops, found a good shop out here where I live, more than once I have brought a vehicle in to get something done and they came back and said it turned out to be something minor and charged me a minimal fee or even did not charge me at all, and their real major work is always flawless and reasonably priced. Found them as I was driving down the road and noticed the sheriffs cruiser being worked on and several classic cars waiting for service, the true signs of a good shop. I would do some shopping around or maybe just a road trip will do the trick.

Ya, and they should check the brakes, and they might just say they do but dont. I would not put much past them, but it is up right by where she works and is very handly and a lot of her workmates use them...I lost that argument that this was stupid. And I did argue the point, you know how I like to argue, right?

Thing is my wife has a well above mensa min IQ, she is 50, she for years PCMS'ed military gear, and she knew because I told her at several points that keeping an eye on the brakes is important and oh BTW..... "haven't you been driving a lot, DEAR?" I said.

And yet, and YET, she does not understand all of those squallers going off??!!

Hey, I understand completely, let them learn the hard way and by the way it will be Your Fault, don't ask how, it just is. Find a good mechanic but do not mess up or you know what happens next, yeup, Your Fault. Go with the flow and remember that if all hell breaks lose it is no reflection on you as a man if you RUN!

I should have known.

Holy ****...

Thankfully, it sounds like no one was hurt ?

Most modern brake pads have wear indicators. These wear indicators are metal clips attached to the pads that are designed to emit an obnoxious squealing every time the brakes are applied to cue the driver to have the vehicle checked out.

However, my advice ? What's done is done. Agonizing over it isn't going to help. Better to use it as a learning experience. Remind her know how important her safety is to you so that she might understand why this is so frustrating for you.

Discount oil changes do sometimes include free inspections (like air filters), but they are only going to do them if they are prepared to make money off of fixing it. A discount oil change shop might have just some high school kid with the minimal knowledge of cars necessary to unscrew/screw a bolt, unscrew/screw a filter, and pour oil. An air filter is ridiculously easy to change so they often check that. They also often try to sell a bunch of other crap like fuel injector cleaner which can give consumers a false sense of security about the expertise of the people working on their car.

collegehumor.774ae14d1db7a56246c81e17b7711a92.jpg

Holy ****...

Thankfully, it sounds like no one was hurt ?

Most modern brake pads have wear indicators. These wear indicators are metal clips attached to the pads that are designed to emit an obnoxious squealing every time the brakes are applied to cue the driver to have the vehicle checked out.

However, my advice ? What's done is done. Agonizing over it isn't going to help. Better to use it as a learning experience. Remind her know how important her safety is to you so that she might understand why this is so frustrating for you.

Discount oil changes do sometimes include free inspections (like air filters), but they are only going to do them if they are prepared to make money off of fixing it. A discount oil change shop might have just some high school kid with the minimal knowledge of cars necessary to unscrew/screw a bolt, unscrew/screw a filter, and pour oil. An air filter is ridiculously easy to change so they often check that. They also often try to sell a bunch of other crap like fuel injector cleaner which can give consumers a false sense of security about the expertise of the people working on their car.

Ya, I am Zen, I learned that by the age of 26, thankfully. I am currently laughing and crying AND thankful that my sexy wife is still alive, AND trying to use my life experience towards making great content for DP.

How am I doing?

:?:

Last edited:

Thing is my wife has a well above MENSA min IQ, she is 50, she for years PCMS'ed military gear, and she knew because I told her at several points that keeping an eye on the brakes is important and oh BTW..... "haven't you been driving a lot, DEAR?" I asked.

And yet, and YET, she does not understand what all of those squallers going off are trying to communicate to her??!!

go to Les Schwab, they do actual inspections for free. LS in Port Orchard has a great crew, I've been using them for years, and they're right off of Hwy 16

go to Les Schwab, they do actual inspections for free. LS in Port Orchard has a great crew, I've been using them for years, and they're right off of Hwy 16

No way in hell. I stopped going there 7 years ago when they refused to do a brake job without replacing the calipers, which had been replaced last brake job. I knew the second the words hit my ear that they were trying to scam me. They said they "had to", for liability reason. "FCKU", I am not STUPID! THen a month ago I had a tire that was half flat in the driveway. I assumed because of rim corrosion because that happens because this car spent 2 years on Illinois roads during a time when a new "CHEAPER" salt replacement attacked cars (Thanks Illinois, I already was convinced that our government sucks ass). It was late on a friday, my shop is closing, will not open till mon, so I take it to Les Schwab because it is on the way to Winco and they will be open for another 90 minutes, Winco being where I needed to go. I sat around for about an hour, till about closing time, and then the shop guy comes out to tell me that the tire has a screw in it, but that he cant fix it because the tire is not legal anymore because of outside edge wear. I knew I had bad lower ball joints, we are bankrupt because of a business failure, but I hardly drive outside of town now but maybe to Tacoma or Seatac...I was in no hurry. The Les Schwab guy helpfully offers that he can put air in the tire.

THANX a heap.

So the next monday I take it to my place that I have had for about a decade, the third place I tried after moving to town, the other two ripped me off NATCH. Says there is no screw, the tire is legal just barely, but that my tires are coming apart because of age so they need to go. But Ya, I was right, the rim had corrosion.

THose MOTHER****ERS at Les Schwab straight up lied to me.

They will get not one more dime out of me.

I swear, to the old Gods AND the new.

Seriously.

Last edited:
You better hope the wifey isnt a member of this forum...

I should have known.

If you know more about cars than wifey, then as soon as she said she heard some axle noise, you were obliged to jump in it and see what YOU thought.

What the HECK does axle noise sound like anyway? You need a local mechanic you trust. And need to take the time to get a car in the shop when it starts making funny noises.

This is completely 100% your fault. One thousand mea culpas and breakfast on the weekends for a year. ;) ;)

If you know more about cars than wifey, then as soon as she said she heard some axle noise, you were obliged to jump in it and see what YOU thought.

What the HECK does axle noise sound like anyway? You need a local mechanic you trust. And need to take the time to get a car in the shop when it starts making funny noises.

This is completely 100% your fault. One thousand mea culpas and breakfast on the weekends for a year. ;) ;)

That's what the "I should have known " was for.......

I should have known.

Face it, you screwed up with trusting someone that is clueless about maintaining a vehicle. This is why I always took my kids cars and wife’s car out for a spin each month. Almost always I would find some that needed attention.

I should have known.

there is an old adage

you get what you pay for

we dealers may charge a bit more than pep boys, or a firestone....but you can bet you have a real mechanic looking at your car

and an asm who will tell you your brakes needs repair, your wipers need replacing, and your filters are shot

you can choose to do the repairs or not....your choice

there is an old adage

you get what you pay for

we dealers may charge a bit more than pep boys, or a firestone....but you can bet you have a real mechanic looking at your car

and an asm who will tell you your brakes needs repair, your wipers need replacing, and your filters are shot

I take my cars to the dealer most of the time. Half the time there is a recall item that needs taking care of anyway. My daughter actually mentioned a noise with the brakes and since the Altima needed an oil change anyway I told her to take it in. She went with a friend and found out there is still 50% life, the tires were good and the oil change and battery replacement for the fob was like $40. Piece of mind...priceless.

Great story about chain car shop, Sears. I was taking my daughter and her friend along with the father to the kids soccer game on a Sunday morning. About a 100 miles from the house to Long Island. Going down the Bronx River Parkway there is an older Subaru in the middle lane with a tire missing. So we stop in front of the car to see if we can help and since my friend is also an ex NYC cop. Turns out its one of our daughters teammates and her father. Lucky no one was hurt when the tire came off. Turns out he had gotten new tires at Sears the day before but apparently they missed a few lug nuts. Unbelievable!

I take my cars to the dealer most of the time. Half the time there is a recall item that needs taking care of anyway. My daughter actually mentioned a noise with the brakes and since the Altima needed an oil change anyway I told her to take it in. She went with a friend and found out there is still 50% life, the tires were good and the oil change and battery replacement for the fob was like $40. Piece of mind...priceless.

Great story about chain car shop, Sears. I was taking my daughter and her friend along with the father to the kids soccer game on a Sunday morning. About a 100 miles from the house to Long Island. Going down the Bronx River Parkway there is an older Subaru in the middle lane with a tire missing. So we stop in front of the car to see if we can help and since my friend is also an ex NYC cop. Turns out its one of our daughters teammates and her father. Lucky no one was hurt when the tire came off. Turns out he had gotten new tires at Sears the day before but apparently they missed a few lug nuts. Unbelievable!

there are some good mechanics there

but there are too many who arent....

my guys arent perfect by far.....we miss things, and make mistakes too

but they are far and few between....

customers that pay our prices wont tolerate too many.....lol

there is an old adage

you get what you pay for

We have a new rule....except in emergency no one touches the Jeep but our mechanic. They do a brake check every oil change.

Face it, you screwed up with trusting someone that is clueless about maintaining a vehicle. This is why I always took my kids cars and wife’s car out for a spin each month. Almost always I would find some that needed attention.

Clearly you are a good man.

I am still learning.

Rhetorical novelty.

I like to stand out in a crowd.

btw if not checking out her car is the worst thing your wife does, you got a keeper

some things guys just have to take care of....the cars, the yard, and insects and creepy crawlers are a few of them

once every two months, i take my wifes car to work...and she drives mine

i have her's checked top to bottom....and she gets it back good as new, and clean that night

even though you hate her car, it is a good habit to pick up....and earns lots of brownie points for when we notoriously screw up

Back
Top Bottom