• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So how is Ukrainian Army deployed to confront Russia?

Juin

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

While there has been all kinds of maps on Russian force positioning around Ukraine, with possible lines of attack, there is hardly any on Ukraine.

If I get military folks right, a nation in the position of Ukraine, facing a powerful invation, could hold the bulk of its forces strategically in the interior, waiting for the attacking force to show its hand, or until the center of gravity of the invading force is determined, then hit it in a counterattack.

Or, the defending nation can put the bulk of its forces in forward positions hoping to bruise or stop the invading forces at the border areas.

Is Ukraine holding the bulk of its forces in strategic reserve, say west of the Dnieper?

Or are the bulk of Ukrainian forces already deployed at Kiev, Kharkiv, Donbass separation points, and in the south on the Black Sea?

If the last, it could become a debacle if the Russians manage to broke through say Kharkiv and from the south.

Maybe those with military knowledge can shed some light

From what I gather, their top commander gave an order that is rather close to one of our own from WWII: "we are surrounded on all sides. Situation excellent. We attack"

**** Putin, and **** his quisling Trump.

From what I gather, their top commander gave an order that is rather close to one of our own from WWII: "we are surrounded on all sides. Situation excellent. We attack"

Target rich environment.

Sounds similar to what French General Ferdinand Foch said in the face of a German attack in WWI.

"My center is yielding. My right is retreating. Situation Excellent. I am attacking"' Ferdinand Foch.

Or *****Putin, and his ***** Obama. In the end it is not about anybody but Putin

While there has been all kinds of maps on Russian force positioning around Ukraine, with possible lines of attack, there is hardly any on Ukraine.

If I get military folks right, a nation in the position of Ukraine, facing a powerful invation, could hold the bulk of its forces strategically in the interior, waiting for the attacking force to show its hand, or until the center of gravity of the invading force is determined, then hit it in a counterattack.

Or, the defending nation can put the bulk of its forces in forward positions hoping to bruise or stop the invading forces at the border areas.

Is Ukraine holding the bulk of its forces in strategic reserve, say west of the Dnieper?

Or are the bulk of Ukrainian forces already deployed at Kiev, Kharkiv, Donbass separation points, and in the south on the Black Sea?

If the last, it could become a debacle if the Russians manage to broke through say Kharkiv and from the south.

Maybe those with military knowledge can shed some light

I doubt the number of troops in Ukraine can form a robust front line, and as such (and perhaps similar to the 2003 war in Iraq) all positions are on particular axis of advance. Something like in North Africa in much of WWII.

A WWII division in western Europe might cover 6 to 10 miles max. However, the French, Low Countries, German border is only 350m. Ukraine's border with Russia and Beylorussia and the black sea is 10x as long...and the number of forces in Ukraine (Russians) isn't over 15 divisions or so.

In short both sides are focusing on the cities, because a WWII front line isn't realistic. This is one reason why Ukrainians could move freely in the early war...lots of empty space.

I think they are positioned along the borders, trying to save the whole country. That said, they are in danger of being split in half as the Russians advance along the Dnieper. How much that threatens the Ukrainian forces' future performance, I don't know. Maybe they have supplies roughly equally available on both sides of the river.

If not, they may want to begin evacuating the eastern half, as the western half has the international borders where resupply comes from.

Back
Top Bottom