• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So how is that "Smart Power" working out?

How is "Smart Power" working out for the United States?

• Total voters

cpwill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
That's what we were promised, right? Ineffectual bumbling around the Middle East was done because the smart people were in charge. The world wasn't a mess of incompatible national interests, difficult trade-offs, no-win situations, and irreconcilable differences, but merely a rubix cube, waiting for the Smartest President Ever to come in and Be Wonderful Enough To Solve It. Remember?

So. How's that working out?

I suppose if one completely forgets 2001-2008, where having "dumb" people execute "dumb" policies which has caused directly and indirectly much of the instability in the Middle East today.....then one could incorrectly define "Smart Power" and whine about the situation in the ME.

What depth of understanding and vision!

Academics should stay in the class room or the teachers lobby and discuss theory, they just don't have what it takes to actually govern. The real world is far more complex and messy than the ivory tower.

Academics should stay in the class room or the teachers lobby and discuss theory, they just don't have what it takes to actually govern. The real world is far more complex and messy than the ivory tower.

Yeah, who wants their country to be run by someone with an 'education' anyway.

Well, there is another vote for the "dummies".

Special_ed.jpg

Yeah, who wants their country to be run by someone with an 'education' anyway.

An education is great but if all you have in your resume is an education and then you step into the real world armed only with an education, well you have seen how that's working out, not so good.

I am not sure we have enough choices on the poll.
Our foreign policy has taken a hit, but this to shall pass.
Only 40 months left of Obama!

"If there is anyone in the world today who doubts the seriousness of the Bush Doctrine, I would urge that person to consider the fate of the Taliban in Afghanistan, and of Saddam Hussein's regime in Iraq."

Dick Cheney, 2003

An education is great but if all you have in your resume is an education and then you step into the real world armed only with an education, well you have seen how that's working out, not so good.

I agree, politicians should do something to help communities or go traveling around the world or work as a lawyer or something before entering politics...

I agree, politicians should do something to help communities or go traveling around the world or work as a lawyer or something before entering politics...

Having an understanding of business by running one or working in one would help too. Just having a real job in the real economy for a while would be nice.

I suppose if one completely forgets 2001-2008, where having "dumb" people execute "dumb" policies which has caused directly and indirectly much of the instability in the Middle East today.....then one could incorrectly define "Smart Power" and whine about the situation in the ME.

What depth of understanding and vision!

On the other hand, for those challenged by the concept of taking responsibility, the years 2001-2008 have sure helped dig holes for many to bury their heads in.

Yes, smart is not desirable. Dumb is. I get that. So do students btw. :coffeepap

On the other hand, for those challenged by the concept of taking responsibility, the years 2001-2008 have sure helped dig holes for many to bury their heads in.
What? Bush/Cheney and the whole neocon crowd have taken responsibility for their actions? Really? I think someone is ignoring that huge hole in Crawford.

What? Bush/Cheney and the whole neocon crowd have taken responsibility for their actions? Really? I think someone is ignoring that huge hole in Crawford.

Or perhaps its the sand in the ears causing some to imagine there is a hole...

head in sand.jpg

The political left loves to make excellent arguments which deny reality. We saw this just yesterday with the president. The reality is that even though there are many, many signatories to the Geneva Conventions, that does not mean they will automatically line up to blow the living hell out of Syria because the president says it's required. Reality is a stubborn thing which steadfastly refuses to succumb to argument, no matter how eloquent.

I guess you think that meant something? :lol:

I do. It's commentary of comments that exhibit hatred for education. it's one of the larger issues in schools today: the attitude that knowing information, having been educated is a bad thing. These comments propagate that mentality.

Back
Top Bottom