• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So do you have a plan?

Specify what you'd put aside. I'm big on assuming the dollar will become worthless in such an event.

Being prepared to deal with hard times or disasters is, IMO, just prudent living. Have something put aside, have the means to deal with dog-eat-dog, know some people you can rely on.

Now, if you're talking about prepping for TEOTWAWKI, that's a bigger issue. I could tell you my secret plans, but then.... well you know. :mrgreen:

I guess I feel like I'm 18 and it seems like the years are going faster.
Seems like I'm running out of time to do all the things I would like to do in life...:shrug:

You don't run out of time until you're dead. Decide what you want to do, then DO it. That's most people's biggest problem is that they sit there and say, "Someday...." Make that someday, today.

bugger off bush and eat kangaroo for the rest of my life, i mean, i'd like to do that now, but where i'd go doesn't get wireless internet reception :(

Specify what you'd put aside. I'm big on assuming the dollar will become worthless in such an event.

n100 surgical masks with exhalation valve
water purification methods
food
guns
ammo
meds
more food
hygeine supplies
means to generate electricity
commo
more food
more ammo
tools, spare parts.
trade goods, junk silver,
non-hybrid seeds, basic gardening equipment...

... and somewhere in there throw in "friends with skills and similar gear".

n100 surgical masks with exhalation valve
water purification methods
food
guns
ammo
meds
more food
hygeine supplies
means to generate electricity
commo
more food
more ammo
tools, spare parts.
trade goods, junk silver,
non-hybrid seeds, basic gardening equipment...

... and somewhere in there throw in "friends with skills and similar gear".

What about a stockpile of beer?

What about a stockpile of beer?

I don't drink, but if TEOTWAWKI causes the Internet to go out, the movie theater to shut down, and my favorite Mexican restaurant to close, I might have to start drinking...

My family has a lot of land, and they're quite self-sufficient. They can grow their own food.
I guess I'd go live out there with them, if disaster struck and the infrastructure collapsed or whatever.
Or possibly not; maybe I'd just hole up in my apartment and shoot dope until I was dead.
It really depends upon the nature of the disaster (is it something that will be better in five years, if we can just ride it out? Or is it only going to get worse and worse?), and depending upon which of my loved ones could be located and brought to safety with me.

I know I'm a quitter, but there are some circumstances under which I just wouldn't be willing to live.
I'm not up for "survival at any cost".
I'm more like the wife in The Road. I don't want to just survive.
I don't want to survive merely to bear witness to terrible things, especially when it's inevitable that I'll die terribly myself before too long.
Under those circumstances, I'd rather choose the time and method of my death.

But if it was something less severe than a disaster- natural or man-made- that destroyed both society and the environment and would ultimately kill us all, then of course I'd try to survive.
I'll always try to survive, as long as there is a reasonable possibility that things might get better someday.

Last edited:
Give a man a beer and he drinks for an hour. Teach a man to make beer and he drinks for life.

Awesome!

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day....teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day...

keep an elastic band, a hunting knife and hope to god bear grills is around to show me how its done :]

Let assume that sometime within the next 20, 30 years or so, the ****e is going to hit the fan. What is your plan for survival?

Tim-

This assumes I have time to make it out of Los Angeles. If I do, then its a trip to the outskirts of Wasilla and then a hike from there up the Palmer Pass. From there, head over the 1000 year plain to lake houston and live out my life in quiet seclusion.

I gotta question for Tim... do you honestly, looking at the economic situation, the posturing in the middle east and elsewhere, etc that we're really talking 20-30 years down the road before TSHTF??

There are countless contingencies that you must consider for a SHTF scenario that having a singular plan might even be less then useless, it might be counter-productive... especially if your plan is defeated before starting when the situation arises.

- Barter items
- food supplies (dehydrated / rations being the most mobile)
- a weapon to defend yourself, keeping in mind that in a SHTF scenario, the number of BULLETS will be dwindling faster then they are made
- water filters... and I don't mean 'brita' filters... I mean a filter that will remove parasites from untreated water

Also, any escape from cities plan would have to consider that EVERYBODY is going to be trying to evacuate the same way, and that each city might have only 5-10 actual routes out of the city... and may get blocked.

You would also have to consider if this is during a world war type situation, are you dodging a draft? etc... There's no real way to predict these things... and frankly, I'd wager 60-80% of people will not have any sort of plan in place and will just be reacting...possibly during / causing chaos.

Then there's the issue of martial law being declared... in which case, unless you've got FU money to bribe people with.... we're talking probably 50-150million$ maybe more... then you're gonna end up having to stick where you're at, and hope that any supplies you got are well hidden.

So, point is, there's alot of hypotheticals, but ultimately, if you make yourself prepared in a general fashion so that you can avoid the worst of what is going on if it should happen. In the end, it's gonna come down to hunting and eventually returning to farming... among other general survival skills... unless you have community then you can at least split tasks. Sad point of history is that if things get too dire in cities the results end out to be cannibalism relatively quickly... but if it were to get THAT bad, you'd want to be out of a city and mobile or in a secluded area...

I can't predict the future, but IMHO, the next few years are going to become what people call 'interesting times'.

As a nerd, I've been contemplating this since the 7th grade. I just need a firearm, and gain some expertise, and I'm set.

I gotta question for Tim... do you honestly, looking at the economic situation, the posturing in the middle east and elsewhere, etc that we're really talking 20-30 years down the road before TSHTF??

There are countless contingencies that you must consider for a SHTF scenario that having a singular plan might even be less then useless, it might be counter-productive... especially if your plan is defeated before starting when the situation arises.

- Barter items
- food supplies (dehydrated / rations being the most mobile)
- a weapon to defend yourself, keeping in mind that in a SHTF scenario, the number of BULLETS will be dwindling faster then they are made
- water filters... and I don't mean 'brita' filters... I mean a filter that will remove parasites from untreated water

Also, any escape from cities plan would have to consider that EVERYBODY is going to be trying to evacuate the same way, and that each city might have only 5-10 actual routes out of the city... and may get blocked.

You would also have to consider if this is during a world war type situation, are you dodging a draft? etc... There's no real way to predict these things... and frankly, I'd wager 60-80% of people will not have any sort of plan in place and will just be reacting...possibly during / causing chaos.

Then there's the issue of martial law being declared... in which case, unless you've got FU money to bribe people with.... we're talking probably 50-150million$ maybe more... then you're gonna end up having to stick where you're at, and hope that any supplies you got are well hidden.

So, point is, there's alot of hypotheticals, but ultimately, if you make yourself prepared in a general fashion so that you can avoid the worst of what is going on if it should happen. In the end, it's gonna come down to hunting and eventually returning to farming... among other general survival skills... unless you have community then you can at least split tasks. Sad point of history is that if things get too dire in cities the results end out to be cannibalism relatively quickly... but if it were to get THAT bad, you'd want to be out of a city and mobile or in a secluded area...

I can't predict the future, but IMHO, the next few years are going to become what people call 'interesting times'.

I can see the blue states going up in a cloud of self-induced smoke...frankly I think most folks in the red states are going to be just fine.

After the apocalypse, nerds and rednecks shall inherit the Earth.

After the apocalypse, nerds and rednecks shall inherit the Earth.

At least the parts worth living in...and God help everyone else...but we have some very educated nerdy rednecks...

Not ALL of them mind you...

but some...

Back
Top Bottom