• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So conservatives. Is it time to dump the far right?

The fact is the culture war is lost and the left won. We now have many more states that allow gay marriage and two states have legalized marijuana. Medical marijuana is spreading also. The right will never win again on these social issues and until they change this election is going to be the norm.

Shhhh! Don't let them know that! Let them keep talking about legitimate rape and fixating on male/male sex. It's more colorful than their crank economic theories.

We won't compromise just for political gain.

Nor should you. But some honest self assessment would not be a bad idea. And you might want to reconsider your approach. The hyperbolic end of the world sky is falling silliness isn't working all that well. Less Beck and more Reagan.

Shhhh! Don't let them know that! Let them keep talking about legitimate rape and fixating on male/male sex. It's more colorful than their crank economic theories.

LOL, you have no idea who we are then. You are the biggest hack yet on DP. You deserve an award! I mean, not once do you ever talk about how great your progressive utopian government is. Instead you keep saying the same things over and over again and reference it to people who are not even close to what you describe them as!

LOL, you have no idea who we are then. You are the biggest hack yet on DP. You deserve an award! I mean, not once do you ever talk about how great your progressive utopian government is. Instead you keep saying the same things over and over again and reference it to people who are not even close to what you describe them as!

I accept your award!

Meanwhile, the rightwing noise machine is belching smoke and overheating blaming Romney for not being conservative enough, meaning that the next round of GOP misbegotten candidates will be even more subliterate and narrow, more invested in crank economic theories and more fixated on male/male sex.

It's perfect.

By the way, the election has been over for two days now. You can crawl out of the whiskey bottle.

Nor should you. But some honest self assessment would not be a bad idea. And you might want to reconsider your approach. The hyperbolic end of the world sky is falling silliness isn't working all that well. Less Beck and more Reagan.

More Beck is more Reagan. Do you watch Glenn Beck? :2wave: No sky is falling stuff, just the truth.

More Beck is more Reagan. Do you watch Glenn Beck? :2wave: No sky is falling stuff, just the truth.

I hope Beck becomes the face of post 2012 conservatism, what with his tears and his white board and his insistence on biblical eschatology (not to mention selling gold for the apocalype!). It's a winning GOP strategy. NOT!

Not at all. Beck would make Reagan vomit.

I accept your award!

Hey! It's a utopia, you don't have to work at all to get it now!

Meanwhile, the rightwing noise machine is belching smoke and overheating blaming Romney for not being conservative enough,

So far I can see you never addressed my point in my previous post. :peace

meaning that the next round of GOP misbegotten candidates will be even more subliterate and narrow.

I can see you ignored what I said...........again.

It's perfect.

In your utopia everything is perfect.

By the way, the election has been over for two days now.

Do you have Bidenism in you or something, because we all know that.

You can crawl out of the whiskey bottle.

You must certainly have Biden dementia, stop talking to the Cockroach in your whiskey bottle in your dorm room with ten million Obama posters on the wall!

Not at all. Beck would make Reagan vomit.

Oh Really? Why would that be so? Tell me how telling the truth would make Reagan vomit. While your at it, how about Mark Levin?:

I hope Beck becomes the face of post 2012 conservatism, what with his tears and his white board and his insistence on biblical eschatology (not to mention selling gold for the apocalype!). It's a winning GOP strategy. NOT!

As most progressives you have never watched Beck, have you? Obviously, since he uses Blackboards.

Until you tame the far right the GOP will continue to lose elections. This country has spoken and those tea party wack jobs are being defeated because of their ignorance and big mouths and that is the bottom line.

if you are talking about the lunatic fringe, yes, they should be ignored as should the lunatic left wing fringe. Are the dems ready to dump the far left?

That is because Texas has a large black and hispanic voter block and it is possible in the future for Texas to become a swing state instead of a right wing stronghold. I always wondered why Texas was not more liberal than they are with all those big cities like Houston or Dallas. Here in Washington state(The land of legal pot) the big cities carry the state in spite of the fact most of the state is conservative.
It does to some extent. But it is an odd place.

There is a pasture with horses in it several miles inside the Houston city limits. And a openly gay major that really wasn’t that big a deal here since she’d already been Comptroller for the city, while being out, for several years.

But it is still a Southern State (but don’t try to tell the people here that ;) ) with the strongly motivated Christian social activism and latent (occasionally blatant) racism that implies spread across the state. The size and the length of history of the hispanic community in the State does mean a far less reactionary environment than States like AZ, a far more integrated society. But there is still very much a political power and financial pecking order, and the hispanic community is not at the top. Also out in the exurbs where I live, and beyond, it is very much Bible territory and near 20% of the population (3.8 mil of 21 mil) is considered to be living in a rural area.

Last edited:
As most progressives you have never watched Beck, have you? Obviously, since he uses Blackboards.

they are afraid to watch Beck, they are scared that he might be right and then their heads would implode when the defective liberal gene went haywire.

Oh Really? Why would that be so? Tell me how telling the truth would make Reagan vomit. While your at it, how about Mark Levin?:

Reagan would have said, for example, let Iran make a bomb. He was against acting without just cause. And he rarely attacked individuals the way Beck, Fox and the new republican does. he knew how to do so with some originality, or at least make it seem that way. There was also some attempt to be within the realm of reality. Beck was always comically outside that realm.

Until you tame the far right the GOP will continue to lose elections. This country has spoken and those tea party wack jobs are being defeated because of their ignorance and big mouths and that is the bottom line.

One thing you never do is let your enemies define you. It is always going to be a level of considering what side's fringe groups scare you the most. The only thing your suggestion will do is marginalize the Republicans even more. Basically conservatives would be left with two parties and neither one of them would have the voting power to get elected. The Republicans may have lost the Presidential election but they are still well represented in Congress. I would love for the Democrats and Republicans to split up to give us more choices for who represents us. We are mired in a two party system that doesn't represent a lot of people. So when it comes to dropping consituents I say "you first".

Particularly with Iraq, we never should have gone in to begin with.
Saddam was about to base his oil off the Euro instead of the dollar. THat would have greatly harmed our economy, so yes Iraq should have been invaded. It should have been over and don with, though, not drawn out for 12 years.

Can't get pregnant if a real rape?
That's not conservative doctrine, that's one moron being stupid, and you saw many conservatives come out against him.

Anti homosexual rights.
Most conservatives only take issue with marriage, which is only one of many, many rights; and even then most conservatives don't think it's a big deal if gays can marry. We may personaly disagree on principal, but in practice we extend all such legal rights to gays. We also support gay adoption and serving openly in the military. Don't forget that Don't Ask Don't Tell was Clinton's idea, not ours.

Anti science.
That's extremely vague. I assume you refer to creationism? Or are you referring to, for example, Georgia offering a bible literature elective?

The so-called "far right" isn't why Romney lost, if that is what the OP is referring to.

So conservatives. Is it time to dump the far right?

No, it is time for the GOP to embrace constitutional conservative principles, and stop trying to be like Liberal progressives.

A useless question that is unanswerable without some kind of definition from you as to what the "far right" is. Some on this forum basically describe "Conservative" as "Far Right", and thus the answer would be no. Others have a more nuanced approach.

For example...

Is being "Generally pro-life, but okay with exceptions for rape, incest, and life of the mother" being "Far Right" or is it jus being "right"?
Not right at all. I think many on the left would concur.

Is believing that we shouldn't cut spending to defense "Far right" or just being "right"?
Far right. That anyone could look at US military spending and think you're stinting would take a fairly extreme amount of right-wing partisanship to suggest.

Is believing that we shouldn't raise taxes "far right" or just "right"?
Generally right, but far right if you take it so far as Grover Norquist did.

Is believing that we need to reduce some regulations on businesses "Far right" or just "right"?
Not right at all. I can't see why this couldn't be a completely non-partisan, common ground issue.

A large group of us should educate ourselves with the founder's documents. We can return to the constitution, just possibly a different geographic.

You guys don't seem so reverential towards the 14th Amendment and yet see the 2nd as sacrosanct. Are you a constitutionalist or just a partial constitutionalist?

The so-called "far right" isn't why Romney lost, if that is what the OP is referring to.

No but those tea party morons cost the GOP a chance to win the senate and you can't tell me their vile spew did not hurt the ticket.

You guys don't seem so reverential towards the 14th Amendment and yet see the 2nd as sacrosanct. Are you a constitutionalist or just a partial constitutionalist?

Which part of the 14th amendment are you saying we don't pay attention to? There is quite a bit in the entire amendment....

Saddam was about to base his oil off the Euro instead of the dollar. THat would have greatly harmed our economy, so yes Iraq should have been invaded. It should have been over and don with, though, not drawn out for 12 years.

I'm sorry, but that is not reason to invade. It just isn't. I would not kill one person over that.

That's not conservative doctrine, that's one moron being stupid, and you saw many conservatives come out against him.

Of which conservatives voted for and in some cases backed. It became the face of conservatives, back by them getting votes.

Most conservatives only take issue with marriage, which is only one of many, many rights; and even then most conservatives don't think it's a big deal if gays can marry. We may personaly disagree on principal, but in practice we extend all such legal rights to gays. We also support gay adoption and serving openly in the military. Don't forget that Don't Ask Don't Tell was Clinton's idea, not ours.

And in the 20th century that is a problem. And Clinton's idea was a compromise with conservatives. Don't try to pass off compromise as the wish of anyone.

And no, on the whole, conservatives don't support the things you say. Poll them and you'll find a majority don't. That's why your candidates have to say they don't.

That's extremely vague. I assume you refer to creationism? Or are you referring to, for example, Georgia offering a bible literature elective?

No. It is most easily seen with creationism and Global warming.

One more factor should be acknowledged. The conservative turn against science coincided with the end of the cold war—what some called the "end of history"—defined by the triumph of market democracy.

(snip)

It's hardly surprising, then, that natural scientists have fled the GOP. Scientific research, with its basis in observation and experience of the natural world, is rooted in the fundamental premise that when the results of our investigations tell us something, we pay heed. Economists have accepted that market failure is real, and if its consequences are serious, then remedies are needed. Even Hayek acknowledged this. Legitimate interventions in his view included preventing the "harmful effects of deforestation, of some methods of farming, or of the noise and smoke of factories," prohibiting the use of poisonous substances, limiting working hours, enforcing sanitary conditions in workplaces, controlling weights and measures, and preventing violent labor strikes. Hayek believed, quite logically, that if the government were to take on such functions, and particularly if doing so limited the freedom of particular groups or individuals more so than the population at large, then the justification should be clear (as it was in all the examples he gave).

Over the past four decades, natural scientists have given us those justifications. But over the last two decades, the Republican Party has rejected that science. In turn, scientists have rejected the Republican Party.

The Conservative Turn Against Science - The Chronicle Review - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Study: Conservatives' Trust of Science Hits All Time Low

A sociologist at UNC-Chapel Hill says more people are moving to a conservative "anti-intellectual" ideology, and more people than ever are lumping scientific and political agendas together.

Study: Conservatives' Trust of Science Hits All Time Low - US News and World Report

Listen to the conservative debates and how they all had to make very anti science statements. It was embarrassing.

No, it is time for the GOP to embrace constitutional conservative principles, and stop trying to be like Liberal progressives.

It is time for conservatives to realize they have lost the culture war and embrace gay marriage,legalized pot and immagration reform. It is time for conservatives to become more pragmatic and stop being in favor of legislating morality. The right had a chance on fiscal issues if it was not for the fact they love to spend as much as the left just on differant things.

Back
Top Bottom