• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So Are Sidney Powell, Jenna Ellis and Joe DiGenova Getting Paid For Making Fools Of Themselves?

Jack2aTee

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Ordinarily, when you retain an attorney you pay a huge retainer fee upfront--usually about $10-20K to get pleadings filed. When the money in the trust account starts running low the attorney bills you another $10-20K to get it into court if it goes to trial. And so it goes. An attorney is never working without money to get paid nearby. Put another way, a smart attorney never advancing you credit on your promise you'll pay him when it's all over. Except for personal injury attorneys who accept a case on contingency they will win a settlement or judgement for you and then they take 1/3 for negotiating a settlement or 40% if it goes to trial and they win.

But Trump is not "ordinarily". He's notorious for not paying his bills and every contractor in NYC knows this. So has anybody in here read of the arrangement he's made with these poor schnooks? Are they handling his representation for free in exchange for the publicity? Or are they foolish enough to believe his, "I'll pay you in full AFTER you win for me"?

Inquiring mind want to know. :unsure:

I think the attorneys know they'll get paid, but not out of Trump's pocket. He'll pull the cash out of some kind of fund that other people have put money into. At least, that's what I've heard somebody say.

I've noticed that on old "Perry Mason" shows, his retainer is only one dollar, to be paid to his secretary. I guess times have changed. :)

Ordinarily, when you retain an attorney you pay a huge retainer fee upfront--usually about $10-20K to get pleadings filed. When the money in the trust account starts running low the attorney bills you another $10-20K to get it into court if it goes to trial. And so it goes. An attorney is never working without money to get paid nearby. Put another way, a smart attorney never advancing you credit on your promise you'll pay him when it's all over. Except for personal injury attorneys who accept a case on contingency they will win a settlement or judgement for you and then they take 1/3 for negotiating a settlement or 40% if it goes to trial and they win.

But Trump is not "ordinarily". He's notorious for not paying his bills and every contractor in NYC knows this. So has anybody in here read of the arrangement he's made with these poor schnooks? Are they handling his representation for free in exchange for the publicity? Or are they foolish enough to believe his, "I'll pay you in full AFTER you win for me"?

I think these lawyers are mostly interested in the publicity/notoriety they gain through their involvement with DJT.
I doubt that any of them are doing much actual legal work at all.
I'm certain they all have or will have some sort of fund raising apparatus in place.
Kinda like televangelists.
Kinda like Trump himself.

I've noticed that on old "Perry Mason" shows, his retainer is only one dollar, to be paid to his secretary. I guess times have changed. :)
Hey, I watch that show sometimes!
Lots of fun to watch a parade of old-time actors making guest appearances.

I love the name "Della Street." If I had a secretary, I'd insist she let me call her that. :)
I like it when a witness breaks down on the stand and admits guilt.
I wonder if Trump will ever do that?
I wonder if any responsible attorney would allow DJT anywhere near a witness stand?
Probably not.....5 minutes on the stand and Trump would perjure himself into a 20 year sentence.
On the other hand, Trump has the brilliant Rudy Giuliani representing him, so anything can happen.

I think the attorneys know they'll get paid, but not out of Trump's pocket. He'll pull the cash out of some kind of fund that other people have put money into. At least, that's what I've heard somebody say.

Boy, have they!

I think these lawyers are mostly interested in the publicity/notoriety they gain through their involvement with DJT.
I doubt that any of them are doing much actual legal work at all.
I'm certain they all have or will have some sort of fund raising apparatus in place.
Kinda like televangelists.
Kinda like Trump himself.
Incredibly astute observation. At least judging from the buckets of sweat and acrobatic gyrations televangelists do, viewers get a little of their money's worth if they're after pure entertainment. Come to think of it, judging from the clown show Giuliani and his cohorts put on last Thursday, the sight of black hair dye running down both sides of his face as he perspired enough water to fill a small pool was worth an hour's fee. I had to squint to see if it was dripping off his bald pate or fringe sideburns. I think you're right. The most these attorneys do is just appear in front of the cameras. Away from them, Trump's case is the furthest thing from their minds. Except for Giuliani, who reportedly wants $20,000/day to represent Trump. Nice pay if you don't mind sacrificing the last bit of dignity from your already tattered tarnished reputation.

Last edited:

That's untrue. The retainer, if one is required, depends on the nature of the case.

That's untrue. The retainer, if one is required, depends on the nature of the case.

Well, on a sidebar, that's true. I mean a murder case is probably going to be much higher. I was referring to your garden-variety divorce or bankruptcy--something all of us are going to face at some point in our lives.

I like it when a witness breaks down on the stand and admits guilt.
Radioman, I was told that the network back then made them have a "witness stand confession" every week so it would remove all doubt in the viewers' minds that the person really was guilty and that Perry got it right.

Well, on a sidebar, that's true. I mean a murder case is probably going to be much higher. I was referring to your garden-variety divorce or bankruptcy--something all of us are going to face at some point in our lives.

Lawyers take cases for no fee, massive fees and everywhere in-between. Some cases for lawyers can more serve for marketing for future clients. In this instance, becoming known as an attorney/law firm that takes political cases could be worth millions in advertising value for future cases - or even trying to spring into politics themselves.

It certainly looks like Trump's attorneys are earning a 'few' dollars -- I wonder if any of them have bank accounts in the Cayman Islands or the British Virgin Islands?

May 2020 Trump campaign spending unprecedented sums on legal fees as lawsuits pile up

Sept 2020
Trump and allies have spent $58 million on legal bills and compliance work

Nov 13 2020 Trump Hits Up Donors for Court-Fight Funds He Can Use Elsewhere
President Donald Trump is asking his small-dollar donors to help him pay for legal fees to get courts to overturn the 2020 election results. Yet there is no guarantee the money would be used for that. . . . a donor would have to give $8,333 before a dollar landed in the Trump campaign’s actual recount fund because of the way donations will be split among the various committees.

Oh look, Trump continues to feed off of the gullible. There could also be a problem later in his game if some of his attorneys aren't paid for their legal expertise. I think most of us know that lawyers don't handle being short-changed in what one might call 'polite' ways.

It certainly looks like Trump's attorneys are earning a 'few' dollars -- I wonder if any of them have bank accounts in the Cayman Islands or the British Virgin Islands?

May 2020 Trump campaign spending unprecedented sums on legal fees as lawsuits pile up

Sept 2020 Trump and allies have spent $58 million on legal bills and compliance work

Nov 13 2020 Trump Hits Up Donors for Court-Fight Funds He Can Use Elsewhere

Oh look, Trump continues to feed off of the gullible. There could also be a problem later in his game if some of his attorneys aren't paid for their legal expertise. I think most of us know that lawyers don't handle being short-changed in what one might call 'polite' ways.
Almost laughable that the grifter in chief got grifted so much by those he hired that his campaign was broke at the end. But that is actually the way it goes with crooks and grifters. They attract crooks and grifters whole rob and grift from them. Real shocker that!

Back
Top Bottom