• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Snowden: We're all tagged animals...

MickeyW

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
We are witnessing a compression of the working period in which bad policy shelters in the shadows, the time frame in which unconstitutional activities can continue before they are exposed by acts of conscience. And this temporal compression has a significance beyond the immediate headlines; it permits the people of this country to learn about critical government actions, not as part of the historical record but in a way that allows direct action through voting — in other words, in a way that empowers an informed citizenry to defend the democracy that “state secrets” are nominally intended to support.
https://theintercept.com/2016/05/03...t-leaking-its-an-act-of-political-resistance/

We are witnessing a compression of the working period in which bad policy shelters in the shadows, the time frame in which unconstitutional activities can continue before they are exposed by acts of conscience. And this temporal compression has a significance beyond the immediate headlines; it permits the people of this country to learn about critical government actions, not as part of the historical record but in a way that allows direct action through voting — in other words, in a way that empowers an informed citizenry to defend the democracy that “state secrets” are nominally intended to support.
https://theintercept.com/2016/05/03...t-leaking-its-an-act-of-political-resistance/

And if I had my choice, for what he did to America's ability to gather and collate intelligence for our own defense, Snowden would be in jail for the rest of his life.

And if I had my choice, for what he did to America's ability to gather and collate intelligence for our own defense, Snowden would be in jail for the rest of his life.

And if I had my choice he would get a medal.

That said, the more time that passes since his time in the NSA the less relevant his opinion is. NSA's technology and policies have likely moved since his departure and he isn't going to know what those changes are.

That said, the more time that passes since his time in the NSA the less relevant his opinion is. NSA's technology and policies have likely moved since his departure and he isn't going to know what those changes are.

A medal for what? After all, he clearly didn't think what he did was worth going to jail for.

A medal for what? After all, he clearly didn't think what he did was worth going to jail for.

He thought it was worth RISKING going to jail. If your goal is to get the word out then it would be foolish to voluntarily go to jail where you would likely be silenced.

He thought it was worth RISKING going to jail. If your goal is to get the word out then it would be foolish to voluntarily go to jail where you would likely be silenced.

But he didn't just go to any country to avoid jail time, did he?

But he didn't just go to any country to avoid jail time, did he?

There are only so many countries he could go to who wouldn't extradite him. So he tried to go to Cuba. I wouldn't mind living out my days on a tropical island. And from there he could travel to other South American countries if the pressure was ever lifted. But we pulled his passport enroute so he was stuck in Russia.

Yep, he deserves a medal for his courage. Isn't going to know? Unless he has an ally inside. ;)

Or most likely, placed in a hole never to be seen or heard from again under that draconian Patriot Act....or killed.

I fully know, personally, what the NSA is capable of.....and the Patriot Act was devised to both help America, and ravage the lives of good Americans.

Your view on this is no surprise, since you would like to see the US Govt. run rough shod over America's gun owners ....and anyone else who stands up to them.

One of our biggest enemies in the USA....is the Federal Govt. itself.

There are only so many countries he could go to who wouldn't extradite him. So he tried to go to Cuba. I wouldn't mind living out my days on a tropical island. And from there he could travel to other South American countries if the pressure was ever lifted. But we pulled his passport enroute so he was stuck in Russia.

Cuba and Russia are both countries with vastly worse human rights violations and a much more intrusive surveillance apparatus.

Which, as I stated, has a vastly worse record when it comes to surveillance and human rights

True that....but Snowden's choices were very limited. Russia on the other hand, relishes in the international implications, of having him live there.

I'm sure he'd like to come home, but you and I both know that his life would never be the same.....probably worthless. If I were in his shoes, I wouldn't trust anything that the Feds promised. Sad to say, but for Snowden, our guys aren't any better than Russia's.

Back
Top Bottom