• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Snowden the defector.

Glowpun

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The New York times is said to have quoted Snowden claiming "to ask for asylum from any countries that believe in free speech and oppose the victimization of global privacy." Let us see. He is in asylum in Russia, what is wrong with this picture? Russia certainly does not at all fit this category. So why would he ask for asylum there?

Oh, whatever happened to those two NSA defectors some 40 years ago who defected to the "workers' paradise"?

The New York times is said to have quoted Snowden claiming "to ask for asylum from any countries that believe in free speech and oppose the victimization of global privacy." Let us see. He is in asylum in Russia, what is wrong with this picture? Russia certainly does not at all fit this category. So why would he ask for asylum there?

Oh, whatever happened to those two NSA defectors some 40 years ago who defected to the "workers' paradise"?

You really don't know that he asked asylum from several other countries with no real success? You can go ahead and hate him for it but he gave up his life, his career, his education and his chances of survival to inform you that your precious government is ass raping you. Maybe he's wrong. Maybe it's much ado about nothing. Maybe it's harmless. Maybe it's justified. Maybe it's legal. It's our country and we should be in on the decision-making process. I bet if we had a referendum on this, most people would vote FOR surveillance, not against it, because it will catch all those nasty crooks. So why not speak up about it? Somebody had to. Oh, wait, somebody did.

Somebody explain to me how Snowden left a cushy job in Hawaii, left everything he owned, the girl he was living with and everything known to him, for a life in feckin Russia because that's the way he planned it. Bull****. Defector is in fact not a term that applies to his situation.

If you recall Iceland was his first choice. There were a number of following choices, none of which were Russia. Snowden got Russia by default.

You are starting to do nothing but ask questions instead of engageing in real debate which is a cheap trick libs in here do
excellent use of hyperbole speckle. You are one of the more intelligent cons
I'm an individual. I refuse to be categorized or follow any one platform.

In order to have a real debate one should raise a question first. My interest at this point is wanting to know whatever happened to those two former NSA leakers who defected to the "workers' paradise" and were never heard from again apparently.

Yeah, that was the plan, until the US called everybody up and threatened them not to take him. Now he has no choice but to go with a less than reputable country. Are you really sitting there with a straight face and trying to claim he thinks Russia is more free than the US and that getting caught in a Moscow airport was his master plan? Ridiculous.

If I an oppressive government was trying to throw me in a dark box for the rest of my life, I wouldn't care if I had to crawl through satan's butthole to get to safety.

You are starting to do nothing but ask questions instead of engageing in real debate which is a cheap trick libs in here do
excellent use of hyperbole speckle. You are one of the more intelligent cons
I'm an individual. I refuse to be categorized or follow any one platform.

In order to have a real debate one should raise a question first. My interest at this point is wanting to know whatever happened to those two former NSA leakers who defected to the "workers' paradise" and were never heard from again apparently.

Actually that was your third question. The larger paragraph and the the first two questions in the OP related to Snowden.

Please provide us with the names of "the other two NSA defectors".

My interest at this point is wanting to know whatever happened to those two former NSA leakers who defected to the "workers' paradise" and were never heard from again apparently.

Bernon Mitchell and William Martin.

Both were heard from again.

Google their names if you're interested.

It was also written about.

There's a book titled, The anatomy of two traitors : the defection of Bernon F. Mitchell and William H. Martin , by Wayne G Barker & Rodney E Coffman.

And an article from the International Journal of Intelligence and CounterIntelligence (Volume 22, Issue 4, 2009) titled, Secrecy, Security, and Sex: The NSA, Congress, and the Martin-Mitchell Defections, by David Barrett.

The former is out of print and the latter is behind a paywall.

If you'd be interested in reading either, post your location (city and state) and I'll find local libraries that are holding either or both works.

Martin realized later that what he did was a mistake and wanted to return to the country he despised but to no avail. Mitchell spent the rest of his life in the USSR. What they realized all too late was that the Soviets really did not trust them and were treated as such. What an inglorious end for both. I don't think the Russians will treat Snowden any differently. In their eyes, what if he is really a spy for the US disguised as a defector?

Back
Top Bottom