• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Snowden slams Clinton double standard on classified information

"Edward Snowden doesn't seem happy that Hillary Clinton might escape the same felony charges for exposing classified information that prosecutors have sought against him."

"Espionage Act violations don't require intent to harm — exactly why the Obama's DOJ has gone after so many sources," the former NSA contractor and whistleblower said via a retweet on Twitter on Wednesday. The message included a link to a story quoting Obama's Sunday comment that Clinton "has not jeopardized America's national security," which many saw as a sign that Obama is looking for a reason not to prosecute Clinton.

It was his third message on the topic this week, apparently inspired by comments made by Obama.

"There's classified, and then there's classified," Obama said on Sunday. "There's stuff that is really top-secret top-secret, and there's stuff that is being presented to the president or the secretary of state that you might not want on the transom, or going out over the wire, but is basically stuff that you could get in open-source."

"If only I had known," Snowden said in an earlier Sunday tweet. "Anyone have the number for the Attorney General? Asking for a friend," he said in another message.

Snowden slams Clinton double standard on classified information | Washington Examiner

I don't think that I would want to call Snowden witness on matters of US law. And comparing his to the Clinton case is deranged. Clinton might and probably was negligent in office with little security fallout that we know of. Snowden willfully harmed the Country massively.

The same guy who was so committed to having an open society he ran away to Russia? Which is a bastion of.....oh.

I'm fairly certain he ran away to Russia because he didn't want to go to jail and (correctly) bet that Russia would leave him alone just to give us the finger....

Ummm...Ronald Reagan was given the same "free pass."

Fact is, I doubt seriously that anything Hillary Clinton did rises to the level of a sustainable charge.

It'd be interesting to see the DP threads that would result if Obama claimed that he just didn't know about something like Iran-Contra (or the many other scandals), etc.....

"Edward Snowden doesn't seem happy that Hillary Clinton might escape the same felony charges for exposing classified information that prosecutors have sought against him."

"Espionage Act violations don't require intent to harm — exactly why the Obama's DOJ has gone after so many sources," the former NSA contractor and whistleblower said via a retweet on Twitter on Wednesday. The message included a link to a story quoting Obama's Sunday comment that Clinton "has not jeopardized America's national security," which many saw as a sign that Obama is looking for a reason not to prosecute Clinton.

It was his third message on the topic this week, apparently inspired by comments made by Obama.

"There's classified, and then there's classified," Obama said on Sunday. "There's stuff that is really top-secret top-secret, and there's stuff that is being presented to the president or the secretary of state that you might not want on the transom, or going out over the wire, but is basically stuff that you could get in open-source."

"If only I had known," Snowden said in an earlier Sunday tweet. "Anyone have the number for the Attorney General? Asking for a friend," he said in another message.

Snowden slams Clinton double standard on classified information | Washington Examiner

Even if you think Clinton should be indicted lets not even begin to compare the two.

I'm fairly certain he ran away to Russia because he didn't want to go to jail and (correctly) bet that Russia would leave him alone just to give us the finger....

Ah, but rather than go to jail he took off for a country with a far worse record vis a vis spying on citizens than the US has

Ah, but rather than go to jail he took off for a country with a far worse record vis a vis spying on citizens than the US has

He wasn't protesting Russian spying. Running away to Russia doesn't make him a hypocrite, it makes him a fugitive.....

Snowden is a hero.

Hilary Clinton is a pig, IMO.

And Trump is a xenophobic, emotionally regressive, egomaniacal windbag.

America is politically doomed until at least 2020.

He wasn't protesting Russian spying. Running away to Russia doesn't make him a hypocrite, it makes him a fugitive.....

He protests a country which spies on its citizens by fleeing to a country----which does far more spying on its citizens than the first country could possibly dream off.

He protests a country which spies on its citizens by fleeing to a country----which does far more spying on its citizens than the first country could possibly dream off.

Actually, he went to China first...and then Russia.

It was a double-header.

Well, the democrats are so ignorant they probably feel there should be no classification at all and it all should all be public record!

How far they have fallen!

clinton[/B]-double-standard-on-classified-information/article/2588434]Snowden slams Clinton double standard on classified information | Washington Examiner

Hey Snowden , well duh !

I don't think that I would want to call Snowden witness on matters of US law. And comparing his to the Clinton case is deranged. Clinton might and probably was negligent in office with little security fallout that we know of. Snowden willfully harmed the Country massively.

Harmed the country? By revealing that the government was spying on American citizens in ways that it had lied about?

The government isn't the country and the only thing harmed was the government's spying programs.

I'm pretty sure Russia doesn't have extradition treaty with the U.S. Which is why he went to China first. But the Chinese are all talk and no action so he got bounced to Russia.

yeah I know the hypocrisy of this whole situation is amazing.

Not any more is it amazing. It is typical and run of the mill. The system is corrupt and it takes care of its own.

"See something, say something" is just to get neighbor to turn in neighbor. If a whistleblower sees something and says something, he is prosecuted.

Not any more is it amazing. It is typical and run of the mill. The system is corrupt and it takes care of its own.

"See something, say something" is just to get neighbor to turn in neighbor. If a whistleblower sees something and says something, he is prosecuted.

Not Snowden. He is in Russia...having moved there from China. We cannot prosecute him

You do see that, right?

Snowden may have broken the law, but this doesn't automatically absolve Clinton of wrongdoing, either.
I think I'll take the word of the IT professional here.

Not Snowden. He is in Russia...having moved there from China. We cannot prosecute him

You do see that, right?

If they could get their hands on Snowden or Assange, they would hold them, under pretense of law. They would try them, Star Chamber style, either find a compliant jury to bless the action, or do it without the jury. They have them in custody, and obviously, that is a major thing, rule of law.

It's theater really, but also real. Prosecute them or not, they have them in custody. But if you're keeping track Frank, and you know what Habeas Corpus means and that it is in the Constitution, HC was effectively nullified at the altar of the war on terror. About 3 or 4 years ago the congress passed a law allowing indefinite detention. If the Executive Branch declares the individual to be a terrorist.

Worse than being Irish, being declared a terrorist by a government bureaucrat. ;)

Snowden may have broken the law, but this doesn't automatically absolve Clinton of wrongdoing, either.
I think I'll take the word of the IT professional here.

I agree with what you say, but don't understand the IT reference.

If they could get their hands on Snowden or Assange, they would hold them, under pretense of law. They would try them, Star Chamber style, either find a compliant jury to bless the action, or do it without the jury. They have them in custody, and obviously, that is a major thing, rule of law.

It's theater really, but also real. Prosecute them or not, they have them in custody. But if you're keeping track Frank, and you know what Habeas Corpus means and that it is in the Constitution, HC was effectively nullified at the altar of the war on terror. About 3 or 4 years ago the congress passed a law allowing indefinite detention. If the Executive Branch declares the individual to be a terrorist.

Worse than being Irish, being declared a terrorist by a government bureaucrat. ;)

What Snowden deserves, Thoreau...is a fair trial.

I hope he gets it.

What Snowden deserves, Thoreau...is a fair trial.

I hope he gets it.

He deserves the Congressional Medal of Honor, but it's not going to happen. It is ALWAYS a good thing to see a citizen expose the crimes of government.

He deserves the Congressional Medal of Honor, but it's not going to happen. It is ALWAYS a good thing to see a citizen expose the crimes of government.
On this issue, I completely agree with you.

what if they proved their practices that snowden exposed had led to stopping a 9/11-style terrorist attack? would you still be whining about "crimes of government" or thanking them for maybe saving the life of someone you love? how bout it captain america

Even if you think Clinton should be indicted lets not even begin to compare the two.

I am not doing a comparison simply posting what Snowden is implying so it can be discussed.

Back
Top Bottom