• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Snow in April! - The garden is under snow!

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
For some this may be nothing special, but here it is.
Snow on the daffodils and on the camelia japonica.

Snow is always something special here.
What about the region where you live?

Btw: Let's talk about real snow - not about some drugs etc.

For some this may be nothing special, but here it is.
Snow on the daffodils and on the camelia japonica.

Snow is always something special here.
What about the region where you live?

Btw: Let's talk about real snow - not about some drugs etc.
Rumpel:

Come to the land of the ice and snow, then you will know what Spring is not. Spring in my part of Canada can be pretty iffy until late April. In Montréal we sometimes got snow until late May and I remember twice seeing snow in early June. Where I live now is a wee bit more forgiving and Spring begins about now, that said we have gotten light snow and freezing rain since Wednesday. Perhaps where you are it will be like the years 535-536 CE when there was a two-year long winter in Europe. I hope not.

Cheers, be well and stay warm.
Evilroddy.

Here snow is getting rarer and rarer - so snow in April is a real surprise.

And why was that?
Rumpel:

In 535 CE a huge volcanic eruption in Iceland threw up so much ejecta, ash, gases and dust that it blotted out the sun for 18 months across much of Europe, Central Asia and the Middle East. In 536 CE food crops failed badly, poison rains fell and temperatures remained very cold for 18 months. Iceland erupted twice more badly in the 540s, further devastating and weakening Europe's desperate population. And then came the plague out of Asia and into the Eastern Roman Empire and from there it spread to Europe, killing about half of the barely surviving and desperate people who had not yet succumbed to famine. The period of 536 - 547 was arguably one of the worst decade-long periods to have lived in through and many did not survive.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

weather if fickle
always has been
the only way to be sure snow will come is to plant something

Here snow is getting rarer and rarer - so snow in April is a real surprise.
Snow in early April isn't at all surprising here (Maine) but upstate New York can be as bad. I remember a few Easter sunrise services (they're always outside) bundled in my boots and winter parka, freezing my tush off. And I've had two relatives die in Easter weekend snowstorm car accidents.

Your daffs will probably be okay. They're bred for it.

In 535 CE a huge volcanic eruption in Iceland threw up so much ejecta, ash, gases and dust that it blotted out the sun for 18 months across much of Europe, Central Asia and the Middle East. In 536 CE food crops failed badly, poison rains fell and temperatures remained very cold for 18 months. Iceland erupted twice more badly in the 540s, further devastating and weakening Europe's desperate population. And then came the plague out of Asia and into the Eastern Roman Empire and from there it spread to Europe, killing about half of the barely surviving and desperate people who had not yet succumbed to famine. The period of 536 - 547 was arguably one of the worst decade-long periods to have lived in through and many did not survive.

Sad!

Btw: I did not complain about the snow.
Here it is so rare as to be welcome!

Sad!

Btw: I did not complain about the snow.
Here it is so rare as to be welcome!
Rumpel:

My apologies. The mere mention of snow in Canada by anyone who is not a winter sports enthusiast is routinely considered a complaint. ;) I just assumed. My bad.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Rumpel:

My apologies. The mere mention of snow in Canada by anyone who is not a winter sports enthusiast is routinely considered a complaint. ;) I just assumed. My bad.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.
It is all OK! :)

Btw: Now we also have some degrees under zero Centigrade today here.
Which is also very rare in April.

It is all OK! :)

Btw: Now we also have some degrees under zero Centigrade today here.
Which is also very rare in April.
Rumpel:

"Winter is coming!", as has been made popular in the last decade or so.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Those nights have been the coldest nights for decades.
In some locations the coldest nights in April since weather was recorded.

Back
Top Bottom