• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

SNL skit

Lycanthrope

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Have a look:

Question: Is this an accurate depiction of one small aspect of white vs black experience in America, or (to adopt FOX's rhetoric) yet another attempt to divide the citizenry by perpetuating a racial divide that doesn't exist anymore?

(Disclaimer: Because it's too easy for some to get the wrong idea, I personally do not believe the latter).

RabidAlpaca

Engineer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Ironically, most of the people who vigorously try to proclaim that racism is dead in America and all races have exactly the same opportunities, are usually the ones most terrified of becoming a minority in America.

If there's no disadvantages to being a racial minority in America, why would any white person care that white people will be in the minority? It should make no difference right?

JMB802

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
ThERe IS nO SuCH thING aS SYStemiC raCISm!

aociswundumho

Capitalist Pig
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Ironically, most of the people who vigorously try to proclaim that racism is dead in America and all races have exactly the same opportunities,

No two people on the planet will have the same opportunities. Even identical twins growing up in the same household will not have the same opportunities. It comes down to making the most of the opportunities that you do get.

"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, not the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favor to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all." -Ecclesiastes 9:11

bluesmoke

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Of course, not a very realistic skit. More realistic would have been showing a black guy walking out, something beeping, then a store security guard shooting him dead. Or a cop. Or a "good guy" with a gun.

bluesmoke

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Ironically, most of the people who vigorously try to proclaim that racism is dead in America and all races have exactly the same opportunities, are usually the ones most terrified of becoming a minority in America.

If there's no disadvantages to being a racial minority in America, why would any white person care that white people will be in the minority? It should make no difference right?

Just a note: "...the same and more opportunities..."

RabidAlpaca

Engineer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
No two people on the planet will have the same opportunities. Even identical twins growing up in the same household will not have the same opportunities. It comes down to making the most of the opportunities that you do get.

"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, not the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favor to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all." -Ecclesiastes 9:11
How does that have anything to do with what I said? Do you harbor any fear at all in becoming a racial minority in America? Why or why not? If racism is dead, you should have no fear, if you have fear, maybe it isn't.

Cope

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
All of these threads devolve into the same tired tropes about racism.

The bottom line is that this country was founded upon a dominant (at the time of forming) culture and it's values. Yes, that means that until and unless you conform to THOSE sets of values, you are likely to be an outlier if you find success.

The question you and everyone struggling ought to be asking is what do I need to do differently to find success?

Here are three key elements:

1. VALUE and PRIORITIZE education
2. Stay away from Crime.
3. Avoid having children until you are financially capable of doing so.

aociswundumho

Capitalist Pig
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
How does that have anything to do with what I said?

You implied that as long as racism exists in America, opportunity will be unequal.

Do you harbor any fear at all in becoming a racial minority in America?

No.

Why or why not? If racism is dead, you should have no fear, if you have fear, maybe it isn't.

My guess is racism will always exist to some degree in one form or another.

Lycanthrope

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
All of these threads devolve into the same tired tropes about racism.

The bottom line is that this country was founded upon a dominant (at the time of forming) culture and it's values. Yes, that means that until and unless you conform to THOSE sets of values, you are likely to be an outlier if you find success.

The question you and everyone struggling ought to be asking is what do I need to do differently to find success?

Here are three key elements:

1. VALUE and PRIORITIZE education
2. Stay away from Crime.
3. Avoid having children until you are financially capable of doing so.
Does adhering to all those immediately eliminate any double standard such as the one lampooned in the skit?

Lycanthrope

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
My guess is racism will always exist to some degree in one form or another.
Think we'll ever get to a point where systemic racism is eliminated, such that future generations would look at that skit and not have a clue what it was on about?

Cope

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Does adhering to all those immediately eliminate any double standard such as the one lampooned in the skit?
No, I imagine that it would take awhile to break the biases inherent in people, sometimes due to actual real world data. But it would certainly start the process of true integration though and at the end of the day, that, and ONLY that, will result in NO racism again.

Lycanthrope

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
No, I imagine that it would take awhile to break the biases inherent in people, sometimes due to actual real world data. But it would certainly start the process of true integration though and at the end of the day, that, and ONLY that, will result in NO racism again.
While I don't know for certain whether following the big three would eliminate racism, I do think it's a damn fine start.

Prioritizing education
Avoiding crime
No children until one can afford it

That last one is somewhat hard to quantify (what minimum salary do we collectively decide is the "breeding window"?) but if EVERYONE, regardless of race or partisanship, emphasized those it would go a long way toward improving society.

Top Bottom