• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Snarky political slang

What if...?

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Does anybody here know if there is a name being used for that annoying "snide term for everything" behavior we're seeing so much of lately? Things like:

"Libtards"

"Tax cheat Tim"

You know what I'm talking about.

Is it some kind of mnemonic trigger thing?

A neologism is one thing, coining a new term to describe something specific that current terms are inadequate to express.

Nasty nicknames and derogatory imagery isn't surprising either.

But they're pretty uniformly adopted. Like code so you'll know who the other "cool" kids are. And often confusing in debate, like throwing in obscure terms from a foreign language.

Frankly, I stop reading posts when it becomes clear the poster indulges in this habit.

You might as well talk to a POST as reply to a post from someone who does this, in my experience.

Anybody know/have thoughts about this?:2wave:

Is that a yes?

Yeah, my latest [cross-eyed haze] goes to "True Believers." Not only do I not see anything after, but whatever went before is erased. Funny, that.

Does anybody here know if there is a name being used for that annoying "snide term for everything" behavior we're seeing so much of lately? Things like:

"Libtards"

"Tax cheat Tim"

You know what I'm talking about.

Is it some kind of mnemonic trigger thing?

A neologism is one thing, coining a new term to describe something specific that current terms are inadequate to express.

Nasty nicknames and derogatory imagery isn't surprising either.

But they're pretty uniformly adopted. Like code so you'll know who the other "cool" kids are. And often confusing in debate, like throwing in obscure terms from a foreign language.

Frankly, I stop reading posts when it becomes clear the poster indulges in this habit.

You might as well talk to a POST as reply to a post from someone who does this, in my experience.

Anybody know/have thoughts about this?:2wave:

That's language. We hear a phrase, it later pops up in our own speech. I notice myself doing it here and elsewhere. I'll use a phrase and see it pop up in someone else's post, or in conversation, used by the person I'm conversing with.

On the "I stop reading posts when..." thing, I stop when I see, "Having said that" or "That said..." People seem to use it as a means of sounding more literate or thoughtful. I see it on other boards more than this one, but it always makes me click or scroll elsewhere.

The Kenyan Tyrant.

Barry Soetoro.

Any of about 1000 variations on "I used to be a Liberal once..."

rethugs.

republicants.

'Zackly.

Tax cheat Tim was the one that inspired this post, libtard always sounds like a slur against libertarians to me.

Wasn't trying to single out, but it does seem more prevalent from the right.

I try to be specific even when using shorthand, and I try to capitalize where appropriate.

The words we use are important, and expressing distain and contempt for the other side doesn't seem like an effective strategy.

Nowadays I just find someone who is saying something so badly that it will alienate independents and even compatriates and then figure out how to get them to say it over and over and over.:mrgreen:
:2wave:

That's language. We hear a phrase, it later pops up in our own speech. I notice myself doing it here and elsewhere. I'll use a phrase and see it pop up in someone else's post, or in conversation, used by the person I'm conversing with.

On the "I stop reading posts when..." thing, I stop when I see, "Having said that" or "That said..." People seem to use it as a means of sounding more literate or thoughtful. I see it on other boards more than this one, but it always makes me click or scroll elsewhere.

I use those myself, occasionally. But only when I'm about to say something that's gonna elicit a knee jerk response, in an attempt to avoid said response.

Like if I'm going to criticize an ASPECT of capitalism and I don't want to be misunderstood as being anti-capitalism, for instance, I'll preface my point with a disclaimer followed by a "that said".

But I can see your point and I think I keep it to a minimum.:2wave:

The Kenyan Tyrant.

Barry Soetoro.

Any of about 1000 variations on "I used to be a Liberal once..."

Those are examples.

Do you know if there is a specific term being used to describe this behavior?

Or do we get to make one up?:mrgreen:

I use those myself, occasionally. But only when I'm about to say something that's gonna elicit a knee jerk response, in an attempt to avoid said response.

Like if I'm going to criticize an ASPECT of capitalism and I don't want to be misunderstood as being anti-capitalism, for instance, I'll preface my point with a disclaimer followed by a "that said".

But I can see your point and I think I keep it to a minimum.:2wave:

Like I said, I don't see it so much here. I guess it pops out at me more when it seems out of place. The manner of usage you just described is perfectly appropriate.

One thing that Rush does (wait, don't quit reading) is air montages (is that the plural for montage?) of the catch phrases picked up by different news sources over the weekend. There'll be a dozen different reporters that'll all use the same phrases. A couple I remember were:

Republican's holding something "hostage"

"Constitution Fetish" was used for about a week.

I wish I could think of more off-hand.

BTW, Tim Geithner really is a Tax Cheat. ;)

Like code so you'll know who the other "cool" kids are. And often confusing in debate, like throwing in obscure terms from a foreign language.

I like snarky, it's fun. I also like obscure terms from a foreign language (eg. "she's so popular").

Don't cry too much.

Last edited:
It's from a sub-culture, really more of a dialect; however, let's not talk too much in front of them.

Those are examples.

Do you know if there is a specific term being used to describe this behavior?

Or do we get to make one up?:mrgreen:

In fairness, Mr. V has beaten me soundly about the head and shoulders for "claiming" to be a republican for most of my adult life (which goes hand-in-hand with my 'alleging' that I was a fundamentalist Christian from 14-40+, so go figure).

I like snarky, it's fun. I also like obscure terms from a foreign language (eg. "she's so popular").

Don't cry too much.

True snark is fun. However, that happens at a very low rate by comparison to the lame stuff.

'Zackly.

Tax cheat Tim was the one that inspired this post, libtard always sounds like a slur against libertarians to me.

1) I always thought it was a rephrase of retarded liberals.

2) It's an insult to the developmentally disabled. Not much of anybody uses the word 'retard' anymore except people who a) don't care or b) don't know any better. Or some combination thereof.

I see it like this...

We must identify our 'opponent' or, let us say, the opposing viewpoint. This is necessary to do away with a lot of background baggage than can be laid open by identification of the viewpoints. It allows us to get to the philosophical crux of the debate. Why not liven it up a bit with a lil derogatory language? Where's the harm?

2) It's an insult to the developmentally disabled. Not much of anybody uses the word 'retard' anymore except people who a) don't care or b) don't know any better. Or some combination thereof.

I think it is like the oriental thing. I can write oriental thing, correct? I didn't write person. I didn't mean people. Ok? Anyway, one cannot be expected to go with libentally disabled. Hmm... Maybe I could get PC.

Last edited:
We must identify our 'opponent' or, let us say, the opposing viewpoint. This is necessary to do away with a lot of background baggage than can be laid open by identification of the viewpoints. It allows us to get to the philosophical crux of the debate. Why not liven it up a bit with a lil derogatory language? Where's the harm?

It has the opposite effect, that being muddying the waters. It's pretty much exactly like the old SNL with Dan Ackroyd. "Jane, you ignorant slut." When did he say that? When he had nothing. When she was winning.

Rather like this.

guilty here
teabaggers
reich wing
mKKKain
all seem to get the other side's panties in a wad
OP (or others) explain to me why that is a bad thing

and it is not a recent activity
here are newt's notes:
Language: A Key Mechanism of Control
Newt Gingrich's 1996 GOPAC memo
As you know, one of the key points in the GOPAC tapes is that "language matters." In the video "We are a Majority," Language is listed as a key mechanism of control used by a majority party, along with Agenda, Rules, Attitude and Learning. As the tapes have been used in training sessions across the country and mailed to candidates we have heard a plaintive plea: "I wish I could speak like Newt."

That takes years of practice. But, we believe that you could have a significant impact on your campaign and the way you communicate if we help a little. That is why we have created this list of words and phrases.

This list is prepared so that you might have a directory of words to use in writing literature and mail, in preparing speeches, and in producing electronic media. The words and phrases are powerful. Read them. Memorize as many as possible. And remember that like any tool, these words will not help if they are not used.

While the list could be the size of the latest "College Edition" dictionary, we have attempted to keep it small enough to be readily useful yet large enough to be broadly functional. The list is divided into two sections: Optimistic Positive Governing words and phrases to help describe your vision for the future of your community (your message) and Contrasting words to help you clearly define the policies and record of your opponent and the Democratic party.

Please let us know if you have any other suggestions or additions. We would also like to know how you use the list. Call us at GOPAC or write with your suggestions and comments. We may include them in the next tape mailing so that others can benefit from your knowledge and experience.

Optimistic Positive Governing Words
Use the list below to help define your campaign and your vision of public service. These words can help give extra power to your message. In addition, these words help develop the positive side of the contrast you should create with your opponent, giving your community something to vote for!
• active(ly)
• activist
• building
• candid(ly)
• care(ing)
• challenge
• change
• children
• choice/choose
• citizen
• commitment
• common sense
• compete
• confident
• conflict
• control
• courage
• crusade
• debate
• dream
• duty
• eliminate good-time in prison
• empower(ment)
• fair
• family
• freedom
• hard work
• help
• humane
• incentive
• initiative
• lead • learn
• legacy
• liberty
• light
• listen
• mobilize
• moral
• movement
• opportunity
• passionate
• peace
• pioneer
• precious
• premise
• preserve
• principle(d)
• pristine
• pro- (issue): flag, children, environment, reform
• prosperity
• protect
• proud/pride
• provide
• reform
• rights
• strength
• success
• tough
• truth
• unique
• vision
• we/us/our
Contrasting Words
Often we search hard for words to define our opponents. Sometimes we are hesitant to use contrast. Remember that creating a difference helps you. These are powerful words that can create a clear and easily understood contrast. Apply these to the opponent, their record, proposals and their party.
• abuse of power
• anti- (issue): flag, family, child, jobs
• betray
• bizarre
• bosses
• bureaucracy
• cheat
• coercion
• "compassion" is not enough
• collapse(ing)
• consequences
• corrupt
• corruption
• criminal rights
• crisis
• cynicism
• decay
• deeper
• destroy
• destructive
• devour
• disgrace
• endanger
• excuses
• failure (fail)
• greed
• hypocrisy
• ideological
• impose
• incompetent
• insecure
• insensitive • intolerant
• liberal
• lie
• limit(s)
• machine
• mandate(s)
• obsolete
• pathetic
• patronage
• permissive attitude
• pessimistic
• punish (poor ...)
• radical
• red tape
• self-serving
• selfish
• sensationalists
• shallow
• shame
• sick
• spend(ing)
• stagnation
• status quo
• steal
• taxes
• they/them
• threaten
• traitors
• unionized
• urgent (cy)
• waste
• welfare

guilty here
teabaggers
reich wing
mKKKain
all seem to get the other side's panties in a wad
OP (or others) explain to me why that is a bad thing

and it is not a recent activity
here are newt's notes:

You're liberal, so it's okay. The OP only notices it when it comes from the right. ;)

It has the opposite effect, that being muddying the waters. It's pretty much exactly like the old SNL with Dan Ackroyd. "Jane, you ignorant slut." When did he say that? When he had nothing. When she was winning.

I get that, but belittling others can be fun.

I am un chien andalusia.

ps. No one tell WhatIf what that means, k?

Last edited:
Like I said, I don't see it so much here. I guess it pops out at me more when it seems out of place. The manner of usage you just described is perfectly appropriate.

I usually use the phrase "Having said that" when I'm about to introduce a contradiction of some sort, or a comparative statement of some kind...a clarifying point, even.. For example, "I don't support government mandated vaccinations. Having said that, I would still seek out most of the government recommended vaccinations.

Back
Top Bottom