• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

SNAP Challenge

trfjr

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Could you feed a family of four on 126 dollars a week? the average amount you get from the SNAP program (food Stamps)

don't know about you but i can easily feed a family of four with 126 a week and eat real well

Depends on where you live and what you are making. I know when I make spaghetti sauce and salad it runs about 100 dollars because of the veggies and what not.

Depends on where you live and what you are making. I know when I make spaghetti sauce and salad it runs about 100 dollars because of the veggies and what not.

what the hell you putting in that sauce? caviar?

Plus any else income? Or just that $126 for the week?

Last edited:
You could easily feed a family of two on that, and eat well. It'd be enough for three. Four? That's stretching it, unless you have really cost effective options. You certainly wouldn't be eating well in any case.

Could you feed a family of four on 126 dollars a week? the average amount you get from the SNAP program (food Stamps)

don't know about you but i can easily feed a family of four with 126 a week and eat real well

Absolutely. I think that's almost generous.

What?? You've got to be kidding. How much sauce do you make? Enough for the Russian army?

But whats the whole point of this thread? Isnt the point of SNAP so you CAN feed yourself and your family?

Takes some effort, use coupons, buy stuff on sale, cook yourself instead of buying prepared foods. You know treat your money like you worked for it!

Yes I could. I have a family of 4 and we don't spend that much more than that on food. If you add in things like toilet paper and hygiene stuff into that amount though, it gets questionable unless you cook from scratch or eat cheap most days and splurge on weekends.

Plus any else income? Or just that $126 for the week?

no just 126. it is what you get on average if you have a family of four with no reported income

it comes out to be 6 dollars a meal

But whats the whole point of this thread? Isnt the point of SNAP so you CAN feed yourself and your family?

Yeah, I think that's reason. Seems to me that the OP may be challenging it's not enough . . . ?

What?? You've got to be kidding. How much sauce do you make? Enough for the Russian army?

LOL. The only way I can see it is if you buy a bushel of tomatoes and reduce it to sauce to create something close to Ragoo. There are actually some authentic recipes that require far fewer tomatoes though where it is more like a pesto than a swampy sauce.

thanks Maggie it would take a women to know what you can do with 126 dollars worth of food

what the hell you putting in that sauce? caviar?

Nope. Vegetables are just expensive here. Just an onion, few carrots, bell peppers, mushrooms, sausage, hamburger and then the canned tomato stuff. Plus then the salad, lettuce, tomato, carrot, spinach, cucumber.

Yeah, I think that's reason. Seems to me that the OP may be challenging it's not enough . . . ?

no the opposite we have democrats in congress wanting to expand the snap program and want to give more

Nope. Vegetables are just expensive here. Just an onion, few carrots, bell peppers, mushrooms, sausage, hamburger and then the canned tomato stuff. Plus then the salad, lettuce, tomato, carrot, spinach, cucumber.
where do you live Antarctica where all that needs to be flown in. we are talking about American dollars

where do you live Antarctica where all that needs to be flown in. we are talking about American dollars

South Carolina. I made it three days ago and it cost me 90 dollars. Nothing organic.

Takes some effort, use coupons, buy stuff on sale, cook yourself instead of buying prepared foods. You know treat your money like you worked for it!

Oh, absolutely. Marinara sauce is dirt cheap to make for a family. Put it on a bed of spiral-cut zucchini and that's a bang-up healthy meal. Add some carrot and jicama sticks with a dill/sour cream/mayo dip, and I'd say that'd be a bang-up meal. I'd accept that challenge any day -- and probably wouldn't spend that much money. Further, I'd probably end up eating healthier.

South Carolina. I made it three days ago and it cost me 90 dollars. Nothing organic.

:rofl--Soccerboy!!! Have you any idea how ridiculous that sounds? Tell us what you put in it. Lordy.

:rofl--Soccerboy!!! Have you any idea how ridiculous that sounds? Tell us what you put in it. Lordy.

I did. It lasts a few days, but I've lived enough places where 128 isn't that easy, which is why I say it depends on where you live.

Well, fruits and vegetables are expensive when they aren't in season and you buy them at a typical grocery store. I really needed a hothouse tomato the other day and ended up spending $3 on it.

I can't really imagine $100 spaghetti though. Spaghetti is one meal you actually can make for 4 people on $6, especially if you shop at costco. Of course, it'd just be pasta and sauce, but it's a meal.

i live in SC also i don't know where the hell you shop but you are getting ripped off.
SC is very inexpensive when it comes to food especially vegetables every thing you listed is grown locally

Back
Top Bottom