• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Snake Island: Soldiers' defiant last words as Russian warship targets them

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Snake Island: Soldiers' defiant last words as Russian warship targets them

iu

Ukrainian soldier on a tiny island in the Black Sea didn't hold back when threatened with bombing by a Russian warship as Moscow continued its assault on Ukrainian territory. According to a purported audio exchange, as the Russians approached Snake Island, also known as Zmiinyi Island, the Russian officer says: "This is a military warship. This is a Russian military warship. I suggest you lay down your weapons and surrender to avoid bloodshed and needless casualties. Otherwise, you will be bombed." A Ukrainian soldier responds: "Russian warship, go f*** yourself." Those were the final known words heard from the island. All 13 Ukrainian defenders were killed in a Russian bombardment Thursday, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said.

Snake Island sits about 30 miles (48 kilometers) off the southern tip of the Ukrainian mainland in the northwestern Black Sea. It's about 185 miles (300 kilometers) west of Crimea, the Ukrainian territory that Russia annexed in 2014. Though it is only about 46 acres (18 hectares) in size, a report last year from the non-partisan Atlantic Council think tank called it "key to Ukraine's maritime territorial claims" in the Black Sea. Highlighting its strategic importance, Zelensky chose it last year as the spot for an interview with Ukrainian media in advance of a summit to try to reverse Russia's annexation of Crimea, the Atlantic Council report said. Zelensky words to interviewers that day proved prophetic. "This island, like the rest of our territory, is Ukrainian land, and we will defend it with all our might," he said.

All respect.

Shades of Anthony McCauliffe.

The President of Ukraine has spoken about it, all the major news outlets including Fox and CNN have posted it as well.

I'm just worried with so much misinformation floating about, clips from the Libyan Civil War have been floated as well as clips from May Day Parade, claiming to be Russian Jets flying in formation over Ukraine, has this been verified to have actually taken place.

I mean if it has... Holy crap like, there'll be statues built of these guards, as there should be, because for lack of better and more respectful words it is an unbelievable display of bravery and badassery.

But... I just hope this doesn't turn out to be some concoction of the interwebs.

The President of Ukraine has spoken about it, all the major news outlets including Fox and CNN have posted it as well.

I'm just worried with so much misinformation floating about, clips from the Libyan Civil War have been floated as well as clips from May Day Parade, claiming to be Russian Jets flying in formation over Ukraine, has this been verified to have actually taken place.

I mean if it has... Holy crap like, there'll be statues built of these guards, as there should be, because for lack of better and more respectful words it is an unbelievable display of bravery and badassery.

But... I just hope this doesn't turn out to be some concoction of the interwebs.

Yeah, we are in the era of fake news, fake tweets, propaganda, and now a war. I just read an article abiout how much old clips are being passed around. That's why I avoid website, blogs, tik tok for "news" and rely on the established networks and newspapers with long standing credibility

Doesnt really seem....like that was a very smart decision, all things considered?

Does it?
:unsure::unsure:

No one gets out of this world alive, not even a rat hiding in the walls.

Dying performing a sworn duty is better than many have had inflicted on them or would choose.

And they will haunt the minds of those Russian sailors for the rest of their days, one way or another.

Such a courageous and sad story.
God, I hope Zelensky's story doesn't end up being the same.

No soldier can control if or when he/she dies but they can control the quality of their deaths. If this vignette from the Russian-Ukrainian War is indeed true, then these soldiers died a noble death in the service of their nation. I hope it is true but in war the first casualty is truth. So I will wait to honour them. I am sure there will be many more reports of the heroism of the Ukrainian military and civilian defenders of their country before this dreadful and senseless war is over. I hope Vladimir Putin faces trial and punishment for initiating this war of aggression on the Ukrainian people.

Very respectfully.
Evilroddy.

I heard the audio, but cannot verify its provenance.

Back
Top Bottom