• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Smug American Liberalism

jmotivator

Computer Gaming Nerd
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Vox has posted a pretty important article regarding American liberalism.

The smug style in American liberalism - Vox

"The white working class in particular saw even sharper declines. Despite historic advantages with both poor and middle-class white voters, by 2012 Democrats possessed only a 2-point advantage among poor white voters. Among white voters making between $30,000 and $75,000 per year, the GOP has taken a 17-point lead.

Finding comfort in the notion that their former allies were disdainful, hapless rubes, smug liberals created a culture animated by that contempt

The consequence was a shift in liberalism's center of intellectual gravity. A movement once fleshed out in union halls and little magazines shifted into universities and major press, from the center of the country to its cities and elite enclaves. Minority voters remained, but bereft of the material and social capital required to dominate elite decision-making, they were largely excluded from an agenda driven by the new Democratic core: the educated, the coastal, and the professional."

I post this because almost the entire article spells out what led me away from liberalism in the mid 90s. The problem with American liberalism certainly didn't start in the 90s it just happened that I was finally becoming experienced enough to see what was happening.

Why would any Poverty-Poor-Low Income Working White American vote for the 2016 Democrats?

In the Racist, Anti-White mindset of the Progressive-Fascist, even though there are 19.6 Million White Americans with incomes below the poverty line, they are all receptionists of the mythical "White-Privilege", and therefore do not "Qualify" for any form of compassion or assistance.

There are 2.7 of them for every Black American with an income below the poverty level, for every Black American with an Income below the Poverty Level... yet how many "White ONLY Scholarships" are there, for every Black ONLY Scholarships? Answer, NONE! They tried to create ONE, and it was declared Illegal and prohibited!

And the more the Lefties Grow Government, the more areas that working Whites are "Disqualified" to participate in...

A pox on the Lefties and the Democratic Party too!

-

Every goddamned day on this message board we see another post from some conservative nitwit declaring all liberals to be just plain dumber than everyone else. That if liberals just knew more about the real world, weren't such sissies, weren't so greedy, weren't so uneducated, etc, they'd be good Americans like us conservatives.

But yeah. Smug liberals.

Why would any Poverty-Poor-Low Income Working White American vote for the 2016 Democrats?

In the Racist, Anti-White mindset of the Progressive-Fascist, even though there are 19.6 Million White Americans with incomes below the poverty line, they are all receptionists of the mythical "White-Privilege", and therefore do not "Qualify" for any form of compassion or assistance.

There are 2.7 of them for every Black American with an income below the poverty level, for every Black American with an Income below the Poverty Level... yet how many "White ONLY Scholarships" are there, for every Black ONLY Scholarships? Answer, NONE! They tried to create ONE, and it was declared Illegal and prohibited!

And the more the Lefties Grow Government, the more areas that working Whites are "Disqualified" to participate in...

A pox on the Lefties and the Democratic Party too!

-

Do you have links for your claims?

It's the same on both sides.

Liberals bitch and whine about Republicans being gun-totin,' bible-thumpin,' peace-hatin' redneck morons.
Republicans bitch and whine about Liberals being elitist, granola-eating, flag-burnin,' apologetic hippy [kitties].

Both are correct...it's just that they look at that 1% radical fringe and apply it to the entire base.

Vox has posted a pretty important article regarding American liberalism.

The smug style in American liberalism - Vox

. . . .

I post this because almost the entire article spells out what led me away from liberalism in the mid 90s. The problem with American liberalism certainly didn't start in the 90s it just happened that I was finally becoming experienced enough to see what was happening.

**** me that's a long and rambling article! And someone should tell him that we're not in Kansas anymore. But he made a lot of good points in the two-thirds or so I managed to read in the first hour :lol:

The question is, how does smugness and elitism - which exists just as much in conservative and right-wing politics, as the article notes - become a reason to change political leans? How does it make the smug ones' opinions any more or any less wrong?

**** me that's a long and rambling article! And someone should tell him that we're not in Kansas anymore. But he made a lot of good points in the two-thirds or so I managed to read in the first hour :lol:

The question is, how does smugness and elitism - which exists just as much in conservative and right-wing politics, as the article notes - become a reason to change political leans? How does it make the smug ones' opinions any more or any less wrong?

Well, the thing I think that the article dances around, but fails at admitting fully, is that the underpinning of the liberal smugness is that they believe they have all of the answers.

When I went in to social work it began to dawn on me that the liberals actually don't have all of the answers and some of the sacred truth they defend were, for the most part, not actually true. I realized that many liberals need to feel like they are saving the world when in reality they weren't. Since they chose to believe in their world saving causes their only conclusion is that their opposition are idiots who want to do evil.

Since I wasn't willing to just dismiss everything from the opposition, I eventually came to realize that the other side made some good points, and eventually I found that the answers that I found to be both solid and that meant the most to me were not on the liberal side anymore.

Every goddamned day on this message board we see another post from some conservative nitwit declaring all liberals to be just plain dumber than everyone else. That if liberals just knew more about the real world, weren't such sissies, weren't so greedy, weren't so uneducated, etc, they'd be good Americans like us conservatives.

But yeah. Smug liberals.

Don't be so defensive, Deuce. We see much the same soul searching on the other side in the #nevertrump movement. Trump is making inroads into the Republican and Independent population that were once the core of the DNC's base: white, blue collar America.

So stop calling people nitwits (it kind of helps make the point of the article after all) and maybe address the article for what it is.

Don't be so defensive, Deuce. We see much the same soul searching on the other side in the #nevertrump movement. Trump is making inroads into the Republican and Independent population that were once the core of the DNC's base: white, blue collar America.

So stop calling people nitwits (it kind of helps make the point of the article after all) and maybe address the article for what it is.

Sorry bro. This is a safe space. I didn't mean to trigger you.

Back
Top Bottom