• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Smoking

Luke Skywalker

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Had my last cigarette on July 3rd - that would make Independence Day my official quit day.... Having said that, I'm really craving nicotine these days - was basically reduced to tears earlier today, when I broke down and bought some Nicorette Gum at my local drug store... The gum is helping somewhat, but I still want a cigarette pretty badly. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions here. If this dang craving doesn't go away, I'll probably call the Maine quit line tomorrow - they've been helpful in the past. I realize smoking is hazardous to my health - however, I don't see the harm in having one or two, then quitting again using the patch and/or gum. Since my birthday is a couple days away, I could use that as my new quit date....

To those whom have never smoked - please don't start! Quitting sure as hell sucks.... :cry:

Have you tried the e-cigarettes? A couple of people that I work with use them.

Had my last cigarette on July 3rd - that would make Independence Day my official quit day.... Having said that, I'm really craving nicotine these days - was basically reduced to tears earlier today, when I broke down and bought some Nicorette Gum at my local drug store... The gum is helping somewhat, but I still want a cigarette pretty badly. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions here. If this dang craving doesn't go away, I'll probably call the Maine quit line tomorrow - they've been helpful in the past. I realize smoking is hazardous to my health - however, I don't see the harm in having one or two, then quitting again using the patch and/or gum. Since my birthday is a couple days away, I could use that as my new quit date....

To those whom have never smoked - please don't start! Quitting sure as hell sucks.... :cry:

Good luck. It's an awful habit and so harmful.

Have you tried the e-cigarettes? A couple of people that I work with use them.

Haven't, lizzie, but I've heard mixed reviews about them (both positive and negative). Will mention them when I phone in tomorrow at the quit line, though...

Haven't, lizzie, but I've heard mixed reviews about them (both positive and negative). Will mention them when I phone in tomorrow at the quit line, though...

I know it's hell quitting. The withdrawal is bad enough, then there's the psychological addiction to deal with, and that lasts a good while longer. Best wishes. :)

Good luck. It's an awful habit and so harmful.

Thanks and tell me 'bout it.... Stupidest thing I've ever done.... Wish I'd never started - but at 18, we know everything, right?? Now, 20 years later, I want to go back and time and kick my own arse for starting (if you get my drift...)...

I don't smoke, but I don't think smoking again would be doing yourself any favors as far as your quitting endeavors go. Not trying to lecture, just saying. :)

If you decide to try an "electronic cigarette" (i.e. a vaporizer), don't go with one of those brands that tries too hard to look like a cigarette. Those devices, more commonly known as "cartomizers," suck -- they're too hard to draw on, and they taste like vaguely-flavored chalk.

I'm willing to bet that if you're anywhere near a city, there's a smoke or vaporizer shop near you staffed with people who know the ins and outs of quality vaporizers. They can hook you up with a device that has a smooth draw, and you should be able to try out flavors until your tongue falls off.

I recently switched and haven't looked back. I miss the buzz, but it takes care of the nicotine cravings.

Just a thought.

I know it's hell quitting. The withdrawal is bad enough, then there's the psychological addiction to deal with, and that lasts a good while longer. Best wishes. :)

Thanks again. :) Will keep everyone posted via this thread - may post again later, after talking to the counselors at the quit line..... Hope you have a great night. :)

the easy way to stop smoking by Allen Carr.

best fifteen bucks i ever spent. June 16, 2008 was my quit date.

I don't smoke, but I don't think smoking again would be doing yourself any favors as far as your quitting endeavors go. Not trying to lecture, just saying. :)

Agree fully - am kind of at the point in my life where I need to grow up a little and take more responsibility for my actions (I'll be 41 in a few days).... AND I know from experience that it gets harder to quit the next go-round....

Your mind refuses to let go of what your body no longer registers. That phantom limb, as it were.

You need to condition your mind to substitute images of smoking and cigarettes with something else, and immediately. It takes a little practice, but it's easy enough. Hang in there. You're doing really well. :thumbs:

Happy birthday BTW. When is it? Mine's Saturday. :)

E-cigs saved my life. I smoked since I was 12 years old. I quit 5 months ago and after 3 days I bought an E-cig and it does everything I need without the mess. No more coughing, wheezing etc. It keeps my fingers busy and I wouldn't even consider lighting a real cig again in my life. I did this together with my best friend and she also does great on the E-cigs.

But I warn you - do NOT smoke a real cig or you will be re-addicted and you have to quit until you are "juicy" like they say in rehab. So, if you can't hold out - go electronic. After this long it will work perfectly. There's a company called White Cloud that sells them for $3 (double or more at retail stores). Quality is so-so but the price is right and they work (disposables).

My best, best wishes.

S

Thanks and tell me 'bout it.... Stupidest thing I've ever done.... Wish I'd never started - but at 18, we know everything, right?? Now, 20 years later, I want to go back and time and kick my own arse for starting (if you get my drift...)...

Right!? How handy would that be. With the list of things I've got I wouldn't be able to sit down for week.

Thanks for reminding me - had the book and gave it to a friend of mine... Will order it again right now.

For sure :)

Just sent you a friend request (hope that's ok) - always enjoy meeting other Leos! :)

Sure, that's great! Thanks for the request! :)

E-cigs saved my life. I smoked since I was 12 years old. I quit 5 months ago and after 3 days I bought an E-cig and it does everything I need without the mess. No more coughing, wheezing etc. It keeps my fingers busy and I wouldn't even consider lighting a real cig again in my life. I did this together with my best friend and she also does great on the E-cigs.

But I warn you - do NOT smoke a real cig or you will be re-addicted and you have to quit until you are "juicy" like they say in rehab. So, if you can't hold out - go electronic. After this long it will work perfectly. There's a company called White Cloud that sells them for $3 (double or more at retail stores). Quality is so-so but the price is right and they work (disposables).

My best, best wishes.

S

How long is "juicy"?

I've quit for 5 year stretches twice in my life and shorter stretches a few more times. I'm currently at a "cut back to next to nothing" period and we'll see how long that lasts. I haven't had any luck with anything other than "cold turkey".

Book is ordered and on its way.... Had it, but lent it to a friend several months ago (never was returned to me) - last time I give out something like that. Book is worth a lot more than the price I just paid for it....

Thanks so much and congrats on over 5 years!! :)

How long is "juicy"?

I've quit for 5 year stretches twice in my life and shorter stretches a few more times. I'm currently at a "cut back to next to nothing" period and we'll see how long that lasts. I haven't had any luck with anything other than "cold turkey".

I'd say 3 days or so. About the time you start considering the joys of mass murder. I did get that laser therapy treatment and maybe that helped or maybe it was just that I spent $230 on it and I am one cheap guy so I knew I was deadly serious.

The Ecigs come in different strengths ranging from 2.4% down to 0%. On day 4, start out with the 2.4% and work your way down to 0.8 or 0. Or just keep on using the 2.4%s.

Yes we can!

FYI Electronic Cigarettes | Electronic Cigarette | White Cloud

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom