• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Smoking

Thanks, my new friend! :)

Been smoking myself since I was a teeny bopper - I'm probably what you call a "serial quitter." In other words, I make many resolutions, but never ultimately stick to my decision to remain smoke free. I only have been smoking cigs a total of about ten years - did smoke a tobacco pipe while in college a few years ago (as a way to impress my friends).... Had been smoking the pipe only two years or so, when my dentist biopsied a spot on my cheek - wasn't cancer, but scared the **** out of me, so I promptly gave up that horrible habit and went back to cigs.... So, if you take the ten years total that I've been smoking and minus about 5.5 years, that's how long I've been smoking continuously (day after day) this time. I'm young enough that the experts say I can get most/if not all of my health/lung capacity back if I quit now. I don't cough much - don't know if that's good or bad, although I'm not exercising as much as I was this past summer (I was walking/jogging up to ten miles a day, every day)..... That is what really bothers me - I also like to ride mountain bikes and can't even do that when I smoke.... There was a time a couple years ago when I was bench pressing nearly 400 pounds, now I can barely bench my weight (won't say what it is, but I'm within a normal weight range for my age/height, etc.). Diet has been not good either.... I've made a list of reasons I want to quit:

1) Health concerns - this one speaks for itself....

2) It's killing my parents and others I care about seeing me smoking - I want to make them all proud of me by showing them I can do this and stay smoke free.

3) Social concerns - smokers are in the vast minority these days.... Furthermore, what girl in her right mind wants anything to do with a smoker? So, smoking stops me there as well - give me the choice of a hot date or a cigarette, I'll be more likely to choose the cigarette....

4) Right thinking - this one goes hand in hand with #3 above. If I'm putting smoking as a priority ahead of everything else in my life, I'm not thinking right.... Frankly, I'm probably a mess/basket case :(

5) I don't want to die young.

6) There are plenty of things I want - like a new Epiphone Les Paul electric guitar (1 - 3 grand) or a Keilwurth Black Nickel Tenor Saxophone (5 -10 grand), that I'll never be able to buy if I keep smoking. Smoking is expensive and I'm pretty much spending all my parents' allowance on cigarettes these days.....

7) I go to a wonderful church - I'm pretty much the only one whom goes there whom smokes. So, I pretty much feel like a social outcast, even when I'm around good people whom care about me and vice versa. Furthermore, I don't believe God wants me to smoke and get cancer or something. Been praying about this a lot lately and maybe that's why I'm here, posting in this group.

8) My niece is in first grade - she looks up to me a lot and I don't want to influence her to makes bad decisions as she gets older. It would kill me to see her smoke. Whenever I think of quitting smoking, I think of my niece - if nothing else, I want to do this for her....

9) I want to work with kids - I teach both golf lessons and music lessons. However, I won't even go there if I'm still smoking. Kids copy the behavior of adults they admire - no way do I want to influence the behavior of young minds in a negative way. This one probably explains why I'm still unemployed and not teaching right now.....

10) I like to exercise - until recently, was walking up to 10 miles a day and riding my mountain bike as well. Haven't felt like it lately - goes to show my lungs are probably shot to hell..... The good news is (from what I've heard), I'm still young enough that I can get most (if not all) of my lung capacity back - if, that is, I quit now....

I have a pack of cigs with me right now - am looking at them and haven't made up my mind yet.......

OK, I've made up my mind - I just crushed the pack and threw away my remaining smokes :)

Just for today, I don't want to smoke....

Thanks.

(see more here, where I originally posted the list: Nicotine - group at Addicts-Anon scroll to page 2)

So I tried to quit for Dad's birthday today shortly after I made that list - didn't make it and have smoked nearly a pack today.... However, Christmas is coming and that's my favorite day of the year. Am going to make a serious attempt to stop by Christmas Day this year - will keep you posted. :)

Thanks again, code1211 - congrats on staying stopped, as well! Your story gives me hope and the confidence that I can do it too - I just have to keep putting one step in front of the other (even though some of the time, anyway, it seems like I'm taking 3 steps forward and 2 steps back - or is it 2 steps forward and 3 steps back?) Lol, don't really know right now how/if I'm going to succeed this time - will say that I really want badly to give myself the best Christmas present ever.

Thanks for reading this, code1211 - Hope you and your family have an awesome Christmas and a super New Year! :)

Same to you, Nightrider.

All things happen in their own time. Be patient and know that all you want and need is coming your way.

You sound very, very active and driven. Don't worry about this little part of your life. It will get squared away and one day soon, it will be a part of your past and you will wonder why it ever controlled you. One of my favorite movies is "Groundhog day" with Bill Murray. He recites a snippet of a poem that went something like "Winter sleeps with a smile on his face dreaming of Spring".

The whole movie is working on so many levels that it gets past you if you aren't careful. At one point the pretty leading lady asks, "So this is how you spend eternity?" The point being that we are all changing and growing all the time. We can all start again at any moment and fulfill whatever promises to ourselves that we make. Live and love your life.

Kahlil Gibran asked about the future: "And tomorrow… What is tomorrow to the over prudent dog burying bones in the trackless sands as he follows the Pilgrims to the Holy City?"

Don't allow an imagined tomorrow to ruin a real today. You don't have enough of either.

I simply wanted to express my best wishes to you and hope you find a way to succeed. I've never smoked, so I can't give you meaningful advice except to say like most things in life this too is a process with high points and low points and a whole bunch of joy and frustration but any goal we keep in front of us always has the chance of success. Always keep quiting as a goal ahead and best of luck.

Same to you, Nightrider.

All things happen in their own time. Be patient and know that all you want and need is coming your way.

You sound very, very active and driven. Don't worry about this little part of your life. It will get squared away and one day soon, it will be a part of your past and you will wonder why it ever controlled you. One of my favorite movies is "Groundhog day" with Bill Murray. He recites a snippet of a poem that went something like "Winter sleeps with a smile on his face dreaming of Spring".

The whole movie is working on so many levels that it gets past you if you aren't careful. At one point the pretty leading lady asks, "So this is how you spend eternity?" The point being that we are all changing and growing all the time. We can all start again at any moment and fulfill whatever promises to ourselves that we make. Live and love your life.

Kahlil Gibran asked about the future: "And tomorrow… What is tomorrow to the over prudent dog burying bones in the trackless sands as he follows the Pilgrims to the Holy City?"

Don't allow an imagined tomorrow to ruin a real today. You don't have enough of either.

Thanks again, my friend :)

Just wanted to update you on my cigarette addiction - I have been completely smoke free since 7:18pm last night (so it does in fact look like I made it on my dad's birthday after all)! :) Furthermore, my birthday is 8/17 (August 17th), so I think 7:18 is a good omen... ;)

Will check out "Groundhog Day" again (in fact, I'm going to ask my parents for a copy of the DVD for Christmas) - have seen it probably 100 times, but you are right about missing certain stuff (I don't recall that poem you mentioned, for instance). Thanks for the recommendation - that is definitely one of those movies that one could watch thousands of times and still pick up something new each time....

Also like that quote by Kahil Gibran - without googling this, I believe he wrote "The Prophet," which I read a long time ago and absolutely loved. Will put that on my Christmas list as well....

Thanks so much again and will keep you posted on how my stopping smoking is going via this thread - knock on wood, I'll have a full day clean come 7:18 tonight. In the meantime, I'm going to print out your posts in this thread and keep re-reading them this afternoon - you'll never know how much I appreciate your wisdom and (now) the gift of your friendship.

- Kevin B aka "Nightrider" :)

I simply wanted to express my best wishes to you and hope you find a way to succeed. I've never smoked, so I can't give you meaningful advice except to say like most things in life this too is a process with high points and low points and a whole bunch of joy and frustration but any goal we keep in front of us always has the chance of success. Always keep quiting as a goal ahead and best of luck.

Am also going to print out your response(s) in this thread, CanadaJohn.

You may never have smoked, but I love what you had to say 'bout goals and it's all a process.... Life is about the journey, not the destination - that little ditty right there may just end up saving my life

Thanks for your best wishes and encouragement - will add you as a friend soon (hope that's ok)! :)

- Kevin

Just wanted to update you on my cigarette addiction - I have been completely smoke free since 7:18pm last night (so it does in fact look like I made it on my dad's birthday after all)! :) Furthermore, my birthday is 8/17 (August 17th), so I think 7:18 is a good omen... ;)

Will check out "Groundhog Day" again (in fact, I'm going to ask my parents for a copy of the DVD for Christmas) - have seen it probably 100 times, but you are right about missing certain stuff (I don't recall that poem you mentioned, for instance). Thanks for the recommendation - that is definitely one of those movies that one could watch thousands of times and still pick up something new each time....

Also like that quote by Kahil Gibran - without googling this, I believe he wrote "The Prophet," which I read a long time ago and absolutely loved. Will put that on my Christmas list as well....

Thanks so much again and will keep you posted on how my stopping smoking is going via this thread - knock on wood, I'll have a full day clean come 7:18 tonight. In the meantime, I'm going to print out your posts in this thread and keep re-reading them this afternoon - you'll never know how much I appreciate your wisdom and (now) the gift of your friendship.

You may never have smoked, but I love what you had to say 'bout goals and it's all a process.... Life is about the journey, not the destination - that little ditty right there may just end up saving my life

Thanks for your best wishes and encouragement - will add you as a friend soon (hope that's ok)! :)

- Kevin

You're very welcome and I've accepted and added you to my list, hoping that is also ok.

You're very welcome and I've accepted and added you to my list, hoping that is also ok.

Thanks and it's absolutely ok :)

Still smoke free - looks like i'm going to make it through the day!

Hope your week just keeps getting better and betterer!

Kevin :)

- Kevin

Good for you!

I hope you make it.

Good for you!

I hope you make it.

Thanks! :)

I now have just about 48 hours off those smokes (have made it another day smoke free) - in fact, I think I am going to make it this time, or rather, I think my chances of making it are pretty good. In honor of stopping smoking (and to prove to myself that I'm serious), I bought myself this early Christmas gift today:

silverburst.jpg

It's a Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Silverburst - and I've been wanting this guitar for years (broke down and finally did it this afternoon).... Now, I just have to practice my shredding chops (instead of smoke myself to death), lol!

8057358-rock-emoticon-playing-the-guitar.jpg

Thanks again for your support and encouragement - hope you and yours have an awesome Holiday Season AND a blessed New Year! :)

ps - Will be taking some time off for awhile from posting here - Not only do I want to spend my time practicing my new Gibson, but I need to stay off the internet for awhile (doc's orders)... Seems that I also have an internet addiction - which of course, goes hand in hand with my former smoking addiction. Won't be posting for a few weeks/months or even years, but you and others are always welcome to pm me (I'll log in and respond to to pm's).... Take it easy and thanks again. :)

Today will be 8 months exactly since my last real smoke. Of course, I still puff away on E-cigs but my lungs are clear and the cats say I smell a lot better. Like they should be critics:roll:

But my best wishes for a 100% quit. If anything goes wrong, and I fervently hope it does not, then consider the Ecig instead of going back and losing all that hard work.

*Just an update, for I haven't posted here in like ages or something*

I've smoked very little in the past 3 years, say. My typical "pattern" is to quit for 6 months, then light up again over stress or something. Then, I smoke for a month or so - then quit again. I just started smoking again about a month ago, after having quit for about 7 months this last time. Even my doctors say that's fine, as long as I can keep this "pattern" going, if you will.

Look, I hate smoking. Wish I had never started. I just woke up about an hour ago - puking my brains out (phlegm in my lungs). This has been a pattern for years now for me. As soon as I start puking, I quit again for 6 months - thusly, the vicious cycle begins all over again.

Mom is worried about me - she just now took my cigarettes and hid them.

Doctor says I have "bigger things to worry about" - like my depression/OCD and keeping my new job I just got. He says that if smoking alleviate the anxiety - go for it.

Just wondering if anyone has any fresh perspective on this. I'm in AA, so maybe that will help. I also have Alan Carr's book - thanks to a poster on DP who mentioned that a while back.

Thanks in advance. :)

Kevin

edited to add: From what I gather, Specklebang is no longer with us, so RIP. He had some good replies in this thread, if I remember correctly.

the easy way to stop smoking by Allen Carr.

best fifteen bucks i ever spent. June 16, 2008 was my quit date.

Am going to re-read that book, Helix right now (I still have it). Will keep you posted. :)

*Doctor says I have "bigger things to worry about" - like my depression/OCD and keeping my new job I just got. He says that if smoking alleviate the anxiety - go for it.

Just wondering if anyone has any fresh perspective on this. I'm in AA, so maybe that will help. I also have Alan Carr's book - thanks to a poster on DP who mentioned that a while back.

E-cigs.
That's how I quit. They are safer for you, as far as the crap that builds up in your lungs and the damage from tar. The nicotine isn't the dangerous part of smoking, so I suggest trying the e-cigarettes. You'll still get the nicotine, and a modified sensation of smoking, but imo, it's much easier than just quitting cold turkey.

Have you tried the e-cigarettes? A couple of people that I work with use them.
I agree, I was able to get my grandma to stop smoking after buying her a vape for her birthday. she thinks she's pretty cool with the younger crowd now. :mrgreen:

E-cigs.
That's how I quit. They are safer for you, as far as the crap that builds up in your lungs and the damage from tar. The nicotine isn't the dangerous part of smoking, so I suggest trying the e-cigarettes. You'll still get the nicotine, and a modified sensation of smoking, but imo, it's much easier than just quitting cold turkey.

Thanks, Lizzie. Will seriously look into e-cigs. :)

*Just an update, for I haven't posted here in like ages or something*

I've smoked very little in the past 3 years, say. My typical "pattern" is to quit for 6 months, then light up again over stress or something. Then, I smoke for a month or so - then quit again. I just started smoking again about a month ago, after having quit for about 7 months this last time. Even my doctors say that's fine, as long as I can keep this "pattern" going, if you will.

Look, I hate smoking. Wish I had never started. I just woke up about an hour ago - puking my brains out (phlegm in my lungs). This has been a pattern for years now for me. As soon as I start puking, I quit again for 6 months - thusly, the vicious cycle begins all over again.

Mom is worried about me - she just now took my cigarettes and hid them.

Doctor says I have "bigger things to worry about" - like my depression/OCD and keeping my new job I just got. He says that if smoking alleviate the anxiety - go for it.

Thanks in advance. :)

Kevin

edited to add: From what I gather, Specklebang is no longer with us, so RIP. He had some good replies in this thread, if I remember correctly.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I chew/have been chewing the nicotine gum - I can't use the patch, because I'm allergic to it (makes my skin break out), so the gum has become my go-to replacement vice.

I saw my doctor the other day (psychiatrist) - I was talking to him and chewing nicotine gum at the same time. All of a sudden, one of my dental crowns on one of my back teeth popped out. Luckily, I saved the crown, but that's when my doctor basically said "screw the gum - smoke cigs instead."

Am going to look into e-cigs at this point - won't be the same, but I've heard they come pretty close. :)

the easy way to stop smoking by Allen Carr.

best fifteen bucks i ever spent. June 16, 2008 was my quit date.

Have been reading the book, Helix and applying Carr's principles lately.

I have stopped smoking - have thrown away all my cigs and nicotine replacement products. I no longer need them - the battle is won and I know now what I need to do.

Thanks again, Helix - will add you as a friend now. :)

I have stopped smoking - have thrown away all my cigs and nicotine replacement products. I no longer need them - the battle is won and I know now what I need to do.

Good for you! I quit this year (thank you Chantix) and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. I still get cravings off an on. But I am so glad I did it.

I wish you the best.

Good for you! I quit this year (thank you Chantix) and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. I still get cravings off an on. But I am so glad I did it.

I wish you the best.

Thanks my friend and congrats to you as well! :)

i'm so glad that it helped you. thanks for letting me know.

Had my last cigarette on July 3rd - that would make Independence Day my official quit day.... Having said that, I'm really craving nicotine these days - was basically reduced to tears earlier today, when I broke down and bought some Nicorette Gum at my local drug store... The gum is helping somewhat, but I still want a cigarette pretty badly. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions here. If this dang craving doesn't go away, I'll probably call the Maine quit line tomorrow - they've been helpful in the past. I realize smoking is hazardous to my health - however, I don't see the harm in having one or two, then quitting again using the patch and/or gum. Since my birthday is a couple days away, I could use that as my new quit date....

To those whom have never smoked - please don't start! Quitting sure as hell sucks.... :cry:

I quit by using nicotine gum (generic) about 10 yrs ago.

I had tried to quit numerous times before and failed. Each time was a learning experience. Most people have to try a few times before it takes.

The last time I quit, I somehow knew it would take. What happened was that I was having a bad vertigo spell. It was weird....I would get these vertigo spells once or twice a year for a couple of years. The spells were so bad that the room would swirl around, I couldn't stand, and I would vomit & get violently ill. It was like when you're really drunk, you know? Only I wasn't. Anyway, I picked up my cigs to smoke when I was lying down in bed, and I couldn't bear the thought of that smoke swirling through my head, on top of the dizziness. It was getting me sicker just thinking about it. So I thought that that would be a good time to quit, if only for a while. So I put the half pack of cigs on a shelf in my closet and didn't smoke. And I never smoked again.

The half pack of cigarettes is still on that top shelf in my closet.

When I got well from the vertigo, I got some nicorette. I have not smoked since.

I still chew the nicorette but am going to quit that, now. I've been afraid to quit that because I'm afraid I would revert to cigarettes. But maybe I'll give the e-cigs a try. OTOH, that may be too similar to smoking cigs. Giving up the paraphernalia and behaviors associated with smoking was crucial for me. I have read that e-cigs are going to be banned. Not sure why.

Weight. I didn't gain weight right away, but it crept up on me in the next several years, a few pounds at a time. I finally went to Weight Watchers and lost that. I now weigh the same as I did 30 years ago (normal wt), have lab work that's better than 30 years ago, low blood pressure, normal cholesterol, etc. Smoking affects so many things in the body, but many can be changed back to normal once you quit. Unfortunately, my lungs will never be like a non-smoker's.

As far as teeth, the gum can be hard on dental work, but the trick is (1) the generic is softer than Nicorette, and a fraction of the cost; (2) you don't have to chew it so much; "park" it in a corner of your mouth, and occasionally move it around after it's soft.

I wish I could switch to regular gum, to break the nicotine gum habit, but unfortunately, I swallow regular gum. I don't know why, and I can't help it. I don't swallow nicotine gum.

Last edited:
I quit by using nicotine gum (generic) about 10 yrs ago.

I had tried to quit numerous times before and failed. Each time was a learning experience. Most people have to try a few times before it takes.

The last time I quit, I somehow knew it would take. What happened was that I was having a bad vertigo spell. It was weird....I would get these vertigo spells once or twice a year for a couple of years. The spells were so bad that the room would swirl around, I couldn't stand, and I would vomit & get violently ill. It was like when you're really drunk, you know? Only I wasn't. Anyway, I picked up my cigs to smoke when I was lying down in bed, and I couldn't bear the thought of that smoke swirling through my head, on top of the dizziness. It was getting me sicker just thinking about it. So I thought that that would be a good time to quit, if only for a while. So I put the half pack of cigs on a shelf in my closet and didn't smoke. And I never smoked again.

The half pack of cigarettes is still on that top shelf in my closet.

When I got well from the vertigo, I got some nicorette. I have not smoked since.

I still chew the nicorette but am going to quit that, now. I've been afraid to quit that because I'm afraid I would revert to cigarettes. But maybe I'll give the e-cigs a try. OTOH, that may be too similar to smoking cigs. Giving up the paraphernalia and behaviors associated with smoking was crucial for me. I have read that e-cigs are going to be banned. Not sure why.

Weight. I didn't gain weight right away, but it crept up on me in the next several years, a few pounds at a time. I finally went to Weight Watchers and lost that. I now weigh the same as I did 30 years ago (normal wt), have lab work that's better than 30 years ago, low blood pressure, normal cholesterol, etc. Smoking affects so many things in the body, but many can be changed back to normal once you quit. Unfortunately, my lungs will never be like a non-smoker's.

As far as teeth, the gum can be hard on dental work, but the trick is (1) the generic is softer than Nicorette, and a fraction of the cost; (2) you don't have to chew it so much; "park" it in a corner of your mouth, and occasionally move it around after it's soft.

I wish I could switch to regular gum, to break the nicotine gum habit, but unfortunately, I swallow regular gum. I don't know why, and I can't help it. I don't swallow nicotine gum.

Thanks, JumpinJack. :)

Quitting smoking is going well for me - I'm using Alan Carr's "Easyway" method, recommended to me by a friend in this thread. It's working - there is no good reason to smoke (I keep telling myself that). Am still using a little nicorette gum myself - Alan Carr basically recommends quitting that, too. I probably will give up the gum soon.

Dealing with a little anger - it's natural when one quits smoking. Someone (a coworker) once told me that the first three days after one quits cigarettes, one is basically "trying not to kill somebody" (lol). Good news is that I'm past that danger zone (good news, lol, I would think - for some jerks out there that I don't like or at least don't get along with). ;)

Overall, I'm very calm and serene these days - glad I stopped smoking. Thanks to everyone whom has responded in this thread, by the way! DP rocks - and always comes through when one is "in a pinch."

Thanks again, my friend! :)

Back
Top Bottom