• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Smoking Poll - Smoking Laws

Are You In Favor of Banning Indoor Smoking in Public Establishments

• Yes - I am a NON-SMOKER

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • NO - I am a NON-SMOKER

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • YES - I am a SMOKER

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • NO - I am a SMOKER

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters

26 X World Champs

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I'm curious how one's opinion regarding no smoking laws are tied into whether one is a smoker or not. Nicotine is such a powerful drug that it most definitely affects a persons ability to make a rational decision, IMHO. Therefore I am curious to see how it breaks down here, you know, how many Smokers are for anti-smoking laws, how many are against. How many non-smokers are for or against these laws.

To clarify, and to keep this poll focused, let's keep this simple. Here are the basic facts if you smoke...bottom line is that 50% of people who smoke will die from smoking related diseases. Yup, HALF the people who smoke will be killed by their addiction. Please read these simple truths and then place your vote:
Health Effects of Smoking

About half of all Americans who continue to smoke will die because of the habit. Each year, a staggering 435,000 people die in the US from tobacco use. Nearly 1 of every 5 deaths is related to smoking. Cigarettes kill more Americans than alcohol, car accidents, suicide, AIDS, homicide, and illegal drugs combined.

Cancer

Cigarette smoking accounts for at least 30% of all cancer deaths. It is a major cause of cancers of the lung, larynx (voice box), oral cavity, pharynx (throat), and esophagus, and is a contributing cause in the development of cancers of the bladder, pancreas, liver, uterine cervix, kidney, stomach, colon and rectum, and some leukemias.

About 87% of lung cancer deaths are caused by smoking. Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death among both men and women, and is one of the most difficult cancers to treat. It is very hard to detect when it is in the earliest, most treatable stage. Fortunately, lung cancer is largely a preventable disease. Groups that promote nonsmoking as part of their religion, such as Mormons and Seventh-day Adventists, have much lower rates of lung cancer and other smoking-related cancers.

Other Health Problems

But cancers account for only about half of the deaths related to smoking. Smoking is also a major cause of heart disease, aneurysms, bronchitis, emphysema, and stroke, and contributes to the severity of pneumonia and asthma.

Tobacco has a damaging affect on women's reproductive health. It is associated with reduced fertility and increased risk of miscarriage, early delivery (prematurity), stillbirth, and low birth weight in infants. It has also been linked to sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).

Smoking has also been linked to a variety of other health problems, including cataracts, hip fractures, and peptic ulcers.
Source: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_10_2X_Cigarette_Smoking.asp?sitearea=PED

Last edited:
Wow, and there's me foolishly thinking that we all have to die eventually, regardless of how.

teacher said:
Not enough choises. What about a indoor public place that offers seperate areas for smokers?

And the all-encompassing "Other" or "I don't know"

it's an issue of quality of life

smokers get laid more

i think that's worth 10 years

what i think is stupid is "no smoking signs"- you can't smoke ANYWHERE so why not have the few places that you can smoke be labeled "smoking" and everywhere else be considered nonsmoking by default.

Non-Smokers can do it longer, they don't suffer from a shortness of breath that weakens their stamina....Quality, not quantity....

I defintely agree with you on that one. One of my ex's was a smoker and I lasted waaay longer than her.

26 X World Champs said:
I guess you never figured out that when you die from smoking you die years sooner than you would had you not smoked?

Personally, I have no desire to be a frail and senile 89-year-old. Just because you get an extra decade or so doesn't make it worthwhile.

Secondly, that's assuming you do die due to smoking. Last of all, how do you know that true, anyway? Sure, maybe Mr Smith died of lung cancer aged 65, but who's to say he wouldn't have been hit by a bus aged 66?

vergiss said:
Sure, maybe Mr Smith died of lung cancer aged 65, but who's to say he wouldn't have been hit by a bus aged 66?

And, maybe Mr. Smith's cancer was due to exposure to asbestos. Or, maybe it was due to the fact he worked at a tire factory for 30 years inhaling the fumes of burning rubber.

If the ban only involves publicly own buildings such as the county courthouse or any other government building I'm OK with it. But, when it involves a privately owned business I have a huge problem with it.

...by the way; I am a non-smoker (but a former smoker)...

vergiss said:
Personally, I have no desire to be a frail and senile 89-year-old. Just because you get an extra decade or so doesn't make it worthwhile.

Secondly, that's assuming you do die due to smoking. Last of all, how do you know that true, anyway? Sure, maybe Mr Smith died of lung cancer aged 65, but who's to say he wouldn't have been hit by a bus aged 66?
Let me guess? You're a smoker? I ask because IMHO I cannot imagine a non-smoker writing a post like yours. I find it chock full of rationalizations to justify hanging out with Mr. Nicotine.

I want to remind you that ONE out of TWO smokers die from smoking related illnesses. You live, your spouse dies. You die, your brother lives.

My Mom is 85 and at times I wish she were senile! She's still the same pain in my butt she was when she was 45. Getting old does not mean that you stop living....nope, but getting cancer and dying is a guarantee you will stop living.

Do you think it's possible that if you're infirmed with cancer you might change your opinion about smoking when you finally realize what you've done to yourself? Would that be a deathbed confession?

Mark A Shrider said:
If the ban only involves publicly own buildings such as the county courthouse or any other government building I'm OK with it. But, when it involves a privately owned business I have a huge problem with it.

...by the way; I am a non-smoker (but a former smoker)...
I meant the ban to be like it is here in NYC, all business establishments, public or private. That's what the poll signifies.

26 X World Champs said:
Let me guess? You're a smoker? I ask because IMHO I cannot imagine a non-smoker writing a post like yours. I find it chock full of rationalizations to justify hanging out with Mr. Nicotine.

I want to remind you that ONE out of TWO smokers die from smoking related illnesses. You live, your spouse dies. You die, your brother lives.

My Mom is 85 and at times I wish she were senile! She's still the same pain in my butt she was when she was 45. Getting old does not mean that you stop living....nope, but getting cancer and dying is a guarantee you will stop living.

Do you think it's possible that if you're infirmed with cancer you might change your opinion about smoking when you finally realize what you've done to yourself? Would that be a deathbed confession?

Whoops. You guessed wrong.

Smoking pigs are nicotine fiends who would do anything for a fix, including polluting eveyone elses air with their cavalier, rude attitude.

One of them had the audacity to suggest an indoor place for smokers only....apparently so they can pollute the central air conditioning system so their death stench can get sucked up and spread to the innocent.

See how their addiction makes them so stupid?

26 X World Champs said:
I meant the ban to be like it is here in NYC, all business establishments, public or private. That's what the poll signifies.

I was pretty sure that's what you meant since you used the word "establishment." However, you many others misuse the word "public."

I bet you support the Supreme Court's decision on Eminent Domain.

Mark A Shrider said:
I was pretty sure that's what you meant since you used the word "establishment." However, you many others misuse the word "public."

I don't, and I still support the smoking ban.

Mark A Shrider said:

To tell you the truth I've not read enough about it to have an opinion, yet.

Have you noticed that as of this post the poll for this thread shows 71% are pro tough smoking regulations? Interesting how that is the same amount of people who are non-smokers in the USA. Translation? For the most part the only people who are against clean air indoors are smokers, most of whom are addicted to nicotine, they're drug addicts.

Do you think we should listen to drug addicts when enacting laws that protect innocent people from deadly poisons?

Can anyone out there give me positive reasons someone should smoke? I mean, what are the BENEFITS of smoking cigarettes?

I believe it's up to the individual establishments to regulate whether or not smoking is permitted. Not directly the governments job or say.

26 X World Champs said:

Have you noticed that as of this post the poll for this thread shows 71% are pro tough smoking regulations? Interesting how that is the same amount of people who are non-smokers in the USA. Translation? For the most part the only people who are against clean air indoors are smokers, most of whom are addicted to nicotine, they're drug addicts.

Do you think we should listen to drug addicts when enacting laws that protect innocent people from deadly poisons?

Can anyone out there give me positive reasons someone should smoke? I mean, what are the BENEFITS of smoking cigarettes?

Maybe people enjoy it? Is that to hard to understand?

Funny how you have no response regarding how you wrongly accused me of being a smoker, and therefore completely destroyed your own argument. Especially as I'm not against these regulations.

26 X World Champs said:

Ok so your now the benefit police. I was unaware that everything you do has to be a benifit. How about fatty foods, extreme sports or driving over the speed limit. Stop trying to be the health and benifit police. If you don't like smoke don't go the establishments that alow smoking. It's a really simple concept. Stop trying to take your values and regulate other peoples lives. If there adults let them make their own decisions. If they make bad ones then they live with the decisions they made

new coup for you said:
it's an issue of quality of life

smokers get laid more

i think that's worth 10 years

what i think is stupid is "no smoking signs"- you can't smoke ANYWHERE so why not have the few places that you can smoke be labeled "smoking" and everywhere else be considered nonsmoking by default.

Yeah I'm sure that Mr. Bob with the hole in his throat in order to breath is a ladies man.

I always knew Chicks digged yellow teeth and robotic voices. /end sarcasm.

I would say yes, it seems to me that if someone wants to smoke thats their choice, and should be allowed to do that, but when it's in close proximity to others and may not want to breathe in someone else's second hand smoke, then I don't think that should be allowed.

But I think what teacher mentioned is on to something...the idea of a sepeate area for smokers seems fine to me.

Arch Enemy said:
Yeah I'm sure that Mr. Bob with the hole in his throat in order to breath is a ladies man.

I always knew Chicks digged yellow teeth and robotic voices. /end sarcasm.

how are you going to hate on smoking, you live in flavor country

vergiss said:
Maybe people enjoy it? Is that to hard to understand?

Many people also enjoy marijuana. Should that be legal?

I like the idea of seperate smoking areas. It seems problematic though. You would need to physically seperate the two areas to make me willing to go into an establishment.

I don't think it should be law that businesses need to ban smoking. Perhaps tax cuts for businesses that do ban smoking, so we encourage some places to ban it. Not all businesses would ban them for the tax cuts, but some probably would. That way there are places to go for smokers and non-smokers alike?

Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom