• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Smoking Poll - Smoking Laws

Are You In Favor of Banning Indoor Smoking in Public Establishments

• Yes - I am a NON-SMOKER

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • NO - I am a NON-SMOKER

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • YES - I am a SMOKER

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • NO - I am a SMOKER

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters
Calm2Chaos said:
So you have taken personal choice and turned it into taxes. Thats a brilliant idea. Your making comparisons to things that are apples to oranges. A speed limit? Sorry peopel are on the road because they have to be they have to get to work. Not to mention roadways are true public places. You have to go from one place to another you need to get on the road. So no bad comparison. Taxes, age appropriate material, comon keep reaching. Doesn't change the fact your either not capable of or to lazt to make decsions for yourself. You choose to let the government tell you your thoughts and decsions. I as an adult want to make personal decisions like were I am going to go. You want your government to make them for you. Good for you.... My local government still thinks I am capable of doing it whereas your obviously does not think you have the ability

Actually, our local government is just a little smarter. Must be the byproduct of smarter constituents.

:2razz:

Calm2Chaos said:
You choose to let the government tell you your thoughts and decsions. I as an adult want to make personal decisions like were I am going to go. You want your government to make them for you. Good for you.... My local government still thinks I am capable of doing it whereas your obviously does not think you have the ability
And in your infinite wisdom you choose to smoke cigarettes knowing that you have a 50-50 chance of cutting your life short by doing so AND that you have a 50-50 chance that you will die because you smoked? Yet, you want all of us to believe that your decision making is superior to laws that prevent smoking in public establishments and that are favored by a strong majority of Americans, right? You know better than we do?

I also noted that you completely ignored my request for you to post what benefits smoking provides to you? Can't come up with any, is that it?

new coup for you said:
you do know making bad descisions is legal right

In some cases. And in some cases it's illegal.

What's your point?

RightatNYU said:
Actually, our local government is just a little smarter. Must be the byproduct of smarter constituents.

:2razz:

Taking away your right. Yep sounds smarter to me. Of course considering who the rights are being taken from maybe it is the best idea lol

26 X World Champs said:
And in your infinite wisdom you choose to smoke cigarettes knowing that you have a 50-50 chance of cutting your life short by doing so AND that you have a 50-50 chance that you will die because you smoked? Yet, you want all of us to believe that your decision making is superior to laws that prevent smoking in public establishments and that are favored by a strong majority of Americans, right? You know better than we do?

I also noted that you completely ignored my request for you to post what benefits smoking provides to you? Can't come up with any, is that it?

For the second friggin time I did. If you missed them thats your fault. Could be anything. Some people might like the feel, or the taste. Or maybe it calms them down. Or a smoke after sex for all I know. I don't know nor do I care. I see no reason why there has to be a benifit. If thats your criteria then we are going to have to get rid of, or outlaw a lot of things because they have no real positive benifits I want to know who exactly is "WE" your whiney liberal friends? PLease please please make decisions for me.. PLeaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Sorry I can make em for myself. I don't need you or your kind to take that from me. I will make my decsions. And as long as I don't have to move to NY thank god. I will continue to be able to make decsions for myself.

RightatNYU said:
In some cases. And in some cases it's illegal.

What's your point?

the point is it's not for you to determine my decsions. Why do you think you have the right to impose your decisions on me. I am not imposing mine on you. You have every right and ability to avoid the very thing your complaining about. But instead you whine about it and ask the government to do the decsion making process for you.

Calm2Chaos said:
Taking away your right. Yep sounds smarter to me. Of course considering who the rights are being taken from maybe it is the best idea lol

The "right" to smoke. I must have missed that in the constitution.

What a joke.

Calm2Chaos said:
the point is it's not for you to determine my decsions. Why do you think you have the right to impose your decisions on me. I am not imposing mine on you. You have every right and ability to avoid the very thing your complaining about. But instead you whine about it and ask the government to do the decsion making process for you.

Actually, its YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS IMPOSING THEIR DECISIONS ON YOU. Which is what they're SUPPOSED TO DO. It's the way democracy works. You vote on people, they vote on laws. Follow? If you don't like it, elect different ones. Very simple.

I can't believe this is so hard for you to comprehend. Jesus, it's like explaining things to a child.

RightatNYU said:
The "right" to smoke. I must have missed that in the constitution.

What a joke.

I have the right to make the decision. If you don't see that then you would be the joke. So unless it's spelled out in the constitution exactly it doesn't count. Then you have very few rights. And I think all your personal information should be posted in this forum. SS# drivers license # birthdate... Everything. Because another thing the constitution does not provide is your right to privacy

RightatNYU said:
Actually, its YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS IMPOSING THEIR DECISIONS ON YOU. Which is what they're SUPPOSED TO DO. It's the way democracy works. You vote on people, they vote on laws. Follow? If you don't like it, elect different ones. Very simple.

I can't believe this is so hard for you to comprehend. Jesus, it's like explaining things to a child.

I don't have to vote for different ones. Mine allow me to make adult decisions. Yours decided to make decisions for you.

I understand exactly what your saying. If insulting me makes you feel better have at it. Kinda what you expect from a NY liberal. Specially over the computer....:rofl

letting the government control our personal lives invites totaltiarianism

when you allow the government to regulate personal choices you're creating a terrible precedent. what if they expand they're role to morality? make "poor moral desicions" illigal. then liberty will die.

Calm2Chaos said:
Why do you think you have the right to impose your decisions on me. I am not imposing mine on you.
Au Contraire! You and other poison purveyors are imposing your dirty little habit and cancer causing crud on the ast majority of Americans who are not addicted to nicotine. Where I live we've taken away your ability to kill others. Where you live you ARE imposing your horrible decision making on innocent victims every single time you light up in a public place.

I really think smokers are tragic cases. They're lives are dominated by nicotine and they get infuriated when non-poisoners interfere with their drug habit. Too damn bad IMHO. Everytime I walk past a building with nicotiners standing out front getting a fix I shake my head at how sad their lives have become. They actually have to take time out from their day to accomodate their addiction, every day, all the time.

What sucks for non-smokers is that so many of these smoking junkies will end up in hospitals and will die from their addiction. The cost of their hospitalization, be it from even higher private health care costs due to the enormous expense of their drug abuse or the great expenditure of taxpayer dollars necessary to pay their bills because their insurance ran out or they don't have any is the real legacy nicotine abusers leave for us after they die.

So, yes, even in states where we are smart enough to ban your smoking in public and to tax the $hit out of you for smoking we are still all paying for your damn addiction. Therefore YOU are imposing your damn self on the public every day.

I wonder how altruistic you will be after one of your lungs is cut out of your chest? How about how will you feel when you have to speak through your throat and you've lost all of your hair from the poison that is chemo-therapy? Think you'll still be all high and mighty about what you illogically call your "rights"? I think not! I think you will then be a born-again ex-smoker who will do whatever he can do to extend his life and eliminate the disease from your body.

Last edited:
Calm2Chaos said:
I understand exactly what your saying. If insulting me makes you feel better have at it. Kinda what you expect from a NY liberal. Specially over the computer....:rofl
What is so amusing is that RIGHT @ NYU is anything but a liberal! You couldn't be more wrong. He and I have had many debates and he and I rarely are on the same side of the argument.

How typical is it for some of the people in this community who are very far to the right to always blame "liberalism" as the reason for what motivates anyone who disagrees with them. It's hilarious! :smile:

You're not a child, you're an adult who has made, IMHO, incredibly poor decisions in his life when it comes to smoking. You know that you're killing yourself and instead of being intelligent and stopping the behavior that is killing you you're DEFENDING the slow suicide that you're committing.

I think maybe that is what Right @ NYU meant, that it takes an incredible lack of intelligence to smoke and to defend smoking. It's one thing if you've admitted to yourself that you have a problem and that you want to conquer it. It's quite another thing to be a blow-hard who thinks smoking is cool, OK, and that you're not worried about the consequences of your behavior on yourself, your loved ones, and society in general.

It is pitiful to read posts from smokers who can't admit that they have a problem. It's just like an alcoholic or heroin addict. Same rhetoric, same absurd justification for their behavior.

There's lots of help out here for people who want to stop smoking. Don't you know how good it feels to overcome your cigarette addiction? Don't you know how great you feel about yourself? Apparently Mr. Nicotine has you deeply stuck in his web and you're not acting like an adult, you're acting like a will-less child, hence the analogy from NYU....

new coup for you said:
letting the government control our personal lives invites totaltiarianism

when you allow the government to regulate personal choices you're creating a terrible precedent. what if they expand they're role to morality? make "poor moral desicions" illigal. then liberty will die.
It is a HUGE overstatement to post that anti-smoking laws enacted by elected legislature with strong popular approval invites totalitarianism! It is ridiculous. We are a society of laws. Not having laws that are in the public interest does invite something, ANARCHY. Don't believe me? Shall we look at today's world and the countries that are without laws, i.e. Iraq, Sudan, Antarctica (just kidding :mrgreen: )?

I give our government a lot more credit than you must, since even under Bush and his motley cabal I do not believe we are inching towards totalitarianism, and especially not due to laws that prohibit smoking!

public support does vindicate the violation of personal liberty

we need a libertarian in the white house

i'm tired of politicians thinking they can run my life better then me

new coup for you said:
public support does vindicate the violation of personal liberty

we need a libertarian in the white house

i'm tired of politicians thinking they can run my life better then me
So who do you support for President? What laws would you abolish?

26 X World Champs said:
So who do you support for President? What laws would you abolish?

both parties want to erode personal liberties.

the left wants to control your life so that you can't hurt yourself, and the right wants to force their neocon evangelist morality on you.

i hate them both.

i want to smoke cigarettes while burning a bible and screaming racial slurs and hammered out of my mind on peach schanpps. why? because if the constitution was honored i'd legally be able too.

new coup for you said:
ah i see. cigarettes are worse then heroin.

those people have the LEGAL RIGHT to kill themselves with smoking.
That's correct. We're not talking legalities, we're talking science. Heroin is not nearly as bad as cigarettes as it effects our society. I don't believe 400,000 people in the USA died from using Heroin last year?

The truth be told, cigarettes should be made illegal. Unfortunately the revenues generated by tobacco products AND the monies doled out by the tobacco lobby means that in all likelihood tobacco will always be legal in the USA. Sad, but true.

I wonder, and I don't know the answer to this, if smoking were made illegal, in the long run. would the money lost in tax revenues be larger than the money saved in health care for smoking related diseases? Anyone know?

26 X World Champs said:
That's correct. We're not talking legalities, we're talking science. Heroin is not nearly as bad as cigarettes as it effects our society. I don't believe 400,000 people in the USA died from using Heroin last year?

The truth be told, cigarettes should be made illegal. Unfortunately the revenues generated by tobacco products AND the monies doled out by the tobacco lobby means that in all likelihood tobacco will always be legal in the USA. Sad, but true.

I wonder, and I don't know the answer to this, if smoking were made illegal, in the long run. would the money lost in tax revenues be larger than the money saved in health care for smoking related diseases? Anyone know?

40,000+ people a year die from auto accidents. 12000+ of those are alcohol related. Using your philosophy both driving and alcohol are more dangerous then heroin and should be banned or legislated out of exsistence. At the very least speed limits should be dropped to a universal 10 miles an hour to eliminate auto deaths

Hey I was tricked, I believe that public buildings owned by the state and large office buildings should (and mostly do) ban smoking but the government shouldn't tell a private business owner he has to ban a legal activity from his place of business. If you don't like smoke then go to a smoke free joint. What gets me is when I'm in a smoking section and I go to light up and I get an evil stare from some non smoker sitting next to me, hey guess what if you don't like smoking don't sit in the smoking section. If I want to kill myself slowly then that is my decision, if you are afraid of second hand smoke then don't visit places where smoking is permited, it's not that hard of a concept. And yes I know smoking is bad for me and I am in the process of quiting but as long as it is legal you have no right to try and control another persons life or habbits.

gdalton said:
Hey I was tricked, I believe that public buildings owned by the state and large office buildings should (and mostly do) ban smoking but the government shouldn't tell a private business owner he has to ban a legal activity from his place of business. If you don't like smoke then go to a smoke free joint. What gets me is when I'm in a smoking section and I go to light up and I get an evil stare from some non smoker sitting next to me, hey guess what if you don't like smoking don't sit in the smoking section. If I want to kill myself slowly then that is my decision, if you are afraid of second hand smoke then don't visit places where smoking is permited, it's not that hard of a concept. And yes I know smoking is bad for me and I am in the process of quiting but as long as it is legal you have no right to try and control another persons life or habbits.

Thats entirely to tough a decsion for some of the simpletons here. They just can't figure out how to walk past a place without sticking there face in the door and taking deep breaths of second hand smoke. Course this also gives them something to complain about. And really, isn't that what being a liberal is all about ....:lol:

Back
Top Bottom