• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Smoking Poll - Smoking Laws

Are You In Favor of Banning Indoor Smoking in Public Establishments

• Yes - I am a NON-SMOKER

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • NO - I am a NON-SMOKER

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • YES - I am a SMOKER

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • NO - I am a SMOKER

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters
Well... Yes. Marijuana should in fact be legal. The War on Drugs is as stupid and as innefective as the prohibition. By regulating and legalizing they keep the drugs out of the wrong hands, like children. Regulated legal drugs = Drug dealers out of business = Children don't get drugs.

vergiss said:
Maybe people enjoy it? Is that to hard to understand?

Funny how you have no response regarding how you wrongly accused me of being a smoker, and therefore completely destroyed your own argument. Especially as I'm not against these regulations.
I wasn't ignoring you! I was surprised that you were a non-smoker and that your post seemed, to me, to discount old age? I'm guessing that in the context of this thread your views as a non-smoker are unusual, not nearly the majority.

To each his own when it comes to smoking so long as smokers abide by the laws of the town they're in.

vergiss said:
Maybe people enjoy it? Is that to hard to understand?
Yes, it is hard to understand. Do you think people would "enjoy it" if the nicotine were removed completely? I don't!

Translation? Almost all smokers do so to feed their nicotine addiction. They're drug addicts, and what they "enjoy" is the nicotine entering their blood stream and feeding their need for a fix. How often have you seen/heard smokers claim that smoking relaxes them? What do you think that means? I think it means that they were itching for a fix to the point it made them edgy so that when they feed their addiction it relieves the anxiety caused by their need for nicotine.

Am I wrong?

Calm2Chaos said:
Ok so your now the benefit police. I was unaware that everything you do has to be a benifit. How about fatty foods, extreme sports or driving over the speed limit.
I didn't know that eating fatty foods killed the person sitting next to you? I guess you need to see this fact, again, as it is apparent that you're either ignoring it, in denial, or haven't read it enough for it to sink in:
Cigarettes kill more Americans than AIDS, alcohol, car accidents, murders, suicides, drugs and fires combined.
Clear enough for those of you in denial? Don't forget that half of you that smoke will die from smoking.
Calm2Chaos said:
Stop trying to be the health and benifit police. If you don't like smoke don't go the establishments that alow smoking.
Actually, where I live, NYC it's a non-issue since smokers have been banned from poisoning themselves indoors in any establishment. I get to go EVERYWHERE and smokers have to decide if they can survive going to dinner out without being able to smoke. Business in eateries seems to be good, it's damn hard to get a reservation....
Calm2Chaos said:
It's a really simple concept. Stop trying to take your values and regulate other peoples lives. If there adults let them make their own decisions. If they make bad ones then they live with the decisions they made
They can commit slow suicide all they want, just not in front of me or any of my friends or fellow citizens if I happen to be eating out or having a beer ANYWHERE in NY State.

PhotonicLaceration said:
Well... Yes. Marijuana should in fact be legal. The War on Drugs is as stupid and as innefective as the prohibition. By regulating and legalizing they keep the drugs out of the wrong hands, like children. Regulated legal drugs = Drug dealers out of business = Children don't get drugs.

you're right, children never have access to cigarettes and alcohol

26 X World Champs said:
Yes, it is hard to understand. Do you think people would "enjoy it" if the nicotine were removed completely? I don't!

Translation? Almost all smokers do so to feed their nicotine addiction. They're drug addicts, and what they "enjoy" is the nicotine entering their blood stream and feeding their need for a fix. How often have you seen/heard smokers claim that smoking relaxes them? What do you think that means? I think it means that they were itching for a fix to the point it made them edgy so that when they feed their addiction it relieves the anxiety caused by their need for nicotine.

Am I wrong?

Who cares? Wine and coffee are generally drunk for the the effects of the drugs that they contain. Do you go up to everyone you see sipping a latte and yell "OMG CAFFEINE JUNKY!!"?

What about casual smokers? I know people who smoke maybe once a fortnight, when out with friends. I doubt its "needing a fix" for them, if they can stand the two weeks between smokes.

vergiss said:
Who cares? Wine and coffee are generally drunk for the the effects of the drugs that they contain. Do you go up to everyone you see sipping a latte and yell "OMG CAFFEINE JUNKY!!"?

Actually, I do bitch at my friends who start to get physically dependant on caffeine. I mean, not like I would if they were smoking (one thing I wouldn't let my friends do [besides driving under the influence of intoxication]), but I do let them know I'm a bit concerned.

ncallaway said:
Many people also enjoy marijuana. Should that be legal?

There are benefits to it, since you've mentioned it.

The difference is that I can smoke a pack of cigarettes and maintain a reasonable conversation, pick up my car and drive safely home afterwards.

Isn't all this just a matter of good sense?

Stop this "small time agenda" rule that we live in these days.

26 X World Champs said:
I didn't know that eating fatty foods killed the person sitting next to you? I guess you need to see this fact, again, as it is apparent that you're either ignoring it, in denial, or haven't read it enough for it to sink in:

Clear enough for those of you in denial? Don't forget that half of you that smoke will die from smoking.

Actually, where I live, NYC it's a non-issue since smokers have been banned from poisoning themselves indoors in any establishment. I get to go EVERYWHERE and smokers have to decide if they can survive going to dinner out without being able to smoke. Business in eateries seems to be good, it's damn hard to get a reservation....

They can commit slow suicide all they want, just not in front of me or any of my friends or fellow citizens if I happen to be eating out or having a beer ANYWHERE in NY State.

Good for you .. STAY in NY state and you can be o so happy. Since I don't have to worry about this problem it is of no real concern. The thought came up not long ago for philly, but got promptly shut down. Now PA gets a large share of the business from delaware.

Long as you stop trying to make decisions for other adults I can't see a problem. Course I think they should stop serving alcohol in any state that bans smoking. Your impairment is a definet chanllenge to my health. Both are health issues so I think one should be entwined with the other

vergiss said:
Wow, and there's me foolishly thinking that we all have to die eventually, regardless of how.

Death doesn't scare me, dieing scares me

Calm2Chaos said:
Ok so your now the benefit police. I was unaware that everything you do has to be a benifit. How about fatty foods, extreme sports or driving over the speed limit. Stop trying to be the health and benifit police. If you don't like smoke don't go the establishments that alow smoking. It's a really simple concept. Stop trying to take your values and regulate other peoples lives. If there adults let them make their own decisions. If they make bad ones then they live with the decisions they made

Benefits

fatty food - it tastes very good and satisfying

extreme sports - some love the adrenaline rush and the risk involved

driving over the speed limit- assuming you don't crash, you get to your destination faster, which may result in you not being late.

smoking - marijuana, at least you get high, cigarettes, ?????

HTColeman said:
Benefits

fatty food - it tastes very good and satisfying

extreme sports - some love the adrenaline rush and the risk involved

driving over the speed limit- assuming you don't crash, you get to your destination faster, which may result in you not being late.

smoking - marijuana, at least you get high, cigarettes, ?????

The benefit is dependent on the person.

Some may like the effect
some it relaxes
Some may like the taste.

Speeding your driving over the limit and therefore putting my health at risk if you have an accident.

Go to non smoking places and you don't have any problems. I don't understand the need to legislate adult choices. But if your going to then we should go al the way and eliminate or curb anything and everything that a person can do that MAY have an impact on somelses health. This goes for personal and industrial. If your going to legislate how people live then you might as well go all the way with it

Calm2Chaos said:
The benefit is dependent on the person.

Some may like the effect
some it relaxes
Some may like the taste.

Relaxation is in the mind, it is actually a stimulant.

Speeding your driving over the limit and therefore putting my health at risk if you have an accident.

hence, it is illegal...

Go to non smoking places and you don't have any problems. I don't understand the need to legislate adult choices. But if your going to then we should go al the way and eliminate or curb anything and everything that a person can do that MAY have an impact on somelses health. This goes for personal and industrial. If your going to legislate how people live then you might as well go all the way with it

How about most places become non smoking and you go find a smoking restaurant, that way it will reflect the population, as most people do not smoke anymore. It is not legislating how people live, you can still smoke, just not in the restaurant. A restaurant is not private property.

new coup for you said:
you're right, children never have access to cigarettes and alcohol

If you think now is bad with children and alcohol, or even just regular people and alcohol, you haven't seen the prohibition and during peek mafia times.

Also, look at the Netherlands. If you follow the data that went over there, this is what happens. First you legalize and regulate it. Suddenly there will be a HUGE spike in the number of users, but that will only last a year or two. Then the statistic will pummet to a number smaller than ever. Without illegal suppliers, most people aren't going to sell illicit drugs to society's children. Who would buy drugs illegally if you could go to the pharmacy and get them? Who knows what gets spliced with the drugs in general illegal distribution. Then, when the drug dealers go out of business ( they can't make enough money just selling to children to stay in business ) there won't be anybody left to sell them to children.

If you compare the percent of users who have tried various drugs from marijuana to heroin and cocain in the United States (which is quite an alarming percent) and compare it to the Netherlands where all drugs are legal, you'll see what I mean.

HTColeman said:
Relaxation is in the mind, it is actually a stimulant.

hence, it is illegal...

How about most places become non smoking and you go find a smoking restaurant, that way it will reflect the population, as most people do not smoke anymore. It is not legislating how people live, you can still smoke, just not in the restaurant. A restaurant is not private property.

How about as an owner you let me decide what or who I want in my establishment. And as a consumer you decide where you want to go to fit your lifestyle. That way everybody has a choice and nobody is being legislated. Seems pretty simple to me

Calm2Chaos said:
How about as an owner you let me decide what or who I want in my establishment. And as a consumer you decide where you want to go to fit your lifestyle. That way everybody has a choice and nobody is being legislated. Seems pretty simple to me

BUT, as the owner of a restaurant you must abide by certain rules not to endanger the general public. If they were to decide that allowing smoking endangers the general public, then they could ban smoking in restaurants. However, they cannot pass legislation if it harms the nature of the business. A restaraunts primary purpose is to serve good food, not to allow smoking. Airports don't allow smoking why not restaurants? Is it that much of a deal to smoke outside? Which is more practical a smoker going outside to smoke, or a non-smoker having to go outside to get a fresh breath?As the majority of people don't smoke, then it would be the latter. Few restaraunts would voluntarily become non-smoking so there aren't that many options.

HTColeman said:
BUT, as the owner of a restaurant you must abide by certain rules not to endanger the general public. If they were to decide that allowing smoking endangers the general public, then they could ban smoking in restaurants. However, they cannot pass legislation if it harms the nature of the business. A restaraunts primary purpose is to serve good food, not to allow smoking. Airports don't allow smoking why not restaurants? Is it that much of a deal to smoke outside? Which is more practical a smoker going outside to smoke, or a non-smoker having to go outside to get a fresh breath?As the majority of people don't smoke, then it would be the latter. Few restaraunts would voluntarily become non-smoking so there aren't that many options.

So your decision is instead of making a personal choice have the goverment do it. I however would like to avoid that and will make my own decsions. I don't think smoking should be allowed in the general public areas. Supermarkets, stores, airports ect ect ect. Now the reason for this is people have to go there. I don't have an airstrip in my backyard so i must go to the airport to get one of those crazy flying machines. If I deem it ok for me to go into a smoked filled room to have a beer or eat a meal. Why should the government be telling me that I can't. As a non smoker that does not like smoke I would think you would find a non smoking idea. The purpose is to make decisions for yourself and not have the governement make them for you. If you don't like it don't go. As an owner if I don't allow smoking I would expect to get more non smokers attending then smokers, and vise vera. I do not force you to ebter my establishment so I am not endangering the GP. The only people in there are those that are there by choice, who are taking any risks associated with smoking by choice. The day I start to heard non smokers like cattle into a smoking allowed restaurant. Thenforce them to take deep breaths while they eat. Is the day that I am knowingly harming the GP against there wil. But until that happens I don't see the harm to the Gp. All you have to do is excersice your personal choice

galenrox said:
Yeah, this issue pisses me off. There are more than enough non-smoking places, but these pompous assholes who think that somehow they're morally and intellectually superior enough that they need to save us from ourselves, and so enough isn't enough, it's gotta be EVERYWHERE!
Spoken like a true smoker, IMHO. Can't see the forrest for the trees! PEople prefer non-smoking environments not to protect you! We want it to protect us FROM you and your pollution. If as a side benefit you get a bit healthier, good for you.

You can't drink everywhere, you can't smoke everywhere, you can't protest everywhere, yet all of these things are legal, in places dictated by law or in the privacy of your home.

Calm2Chaos said:
How about you live with the laws as pass by the legislators that were elected to pass laws? Seems pretty simple to me.

Why not back politicians who are willing to run on a PRO-SMOKING platform?

26 X World Champs said:
How about you live with the laws as pass by the legislators that were elected to pass laws? Seems pretty simple to me.

Why not back politicians who are willing to run on a PRO-SMOKING platform?

Hey if you are not capable of making your own decsions thats fine. If you need the government to do it for you thats fine too. I know that some people are a little weak, and they need help and or assistance to run their lives. If people can't make a choice concerning a voluntary decision. And they aren't mentally capable of saying "This is were I want to go". Then by all means you have the government do it for you. Thankfully my government has allowed me to make decsions concerning myself by myself. God Bless America

Calm2Chaos said:
Hey if you are not capable of making your own decsions thats fine. If you need the government to do it for you thats fine too. I know that some people are a little weak, and they need help and or assistance to run their lives. If people can't make a choice concerning a voluntary decision. And they aren't mentally capable of saying "This is were I want to go". Then by all means you have the government do it for you. Thankfully my government has allowed me to make decsions concerning myself by myself. God Bless America
HUH? What do you mean? America is a country of laws, not anarchy, where majority rules. Are you saying that you do not need or want any laws? Or are you just saying you don't want laws that you do not like?

26 X World Champs said:
HUH? What do you mean? America is a country of laws, not anarchy, where majority rules. Are you saying that you do not need or want any laws? Or are you just saying you don't want laws that you do not like?

Nope thats not what I am saying and you know it. You can try and spin it so thats what it sounds liek but sorry it aint happening. I talked about legislating your personal choice. You want the governement to make your personal decsions for you and I want to make those decsions myself. Luckily my local government belives I am strong enuf and capable enuf to make them. Yours thinks it's better if they make them for you. Whatever floats your boat.

Calm2Chaos said:
Nope thats not what I am saying and you know it. You can try and spin it so thats what it sounds liek but sorry it aint happening. I talked about legislating your personal choice. You want the governement to make your personal decsions for you and I want to make those decsions myself.
I see! Do you mean that your local government doesn't have speed limits? They do not license businesses? You can park anywhere YOU choose. You do not pay them any income taxes? How about liquor? Can you drink anywhere you like? How about movies? Can kids in your locality see any film they choose because you do not believe that government has a right to regulate?

I'm sorry but I find your point of view based entirely on one underlying fact, NICOTINE. Take nicotine out of your poison sticks and what do you have? Poison sticks that people won't buy anymore because the stuff that "tastes" good has been removed.

The harsh reality for smokers is that every day that passes their ability to poison others recedes. Their "rights" are reduced, and non-smoker's rights are increased, and that is a trend that will never change.

Personally, if you want to kill yourself slowly due to a drug addiction that defies any sane spin, go for it. All that I ask is that smokers obey the laws of where they live.

Smoking will kill you, whether you're wise enough to accept the truth only you know.

Imagine someone offering you this product that is a known carcinogen, one that will ultimately kill one of every two people who use it long term. Then imagine that despite the obvious health risks you choose to continue ingesting the product because you've been manipulated by a addictive ingredient that makes it very, very hard to stop. That's exactly what millions of American smokers are doing every single day.

Here's a good analogy for you! Let's say that it's discovered that one of two people who drink Budweiser are dying due to a special ingredient that only Bud uses. This ingredient causes cancer, heart disease, asthma, etc. It's discovered in a new long-term study that is irrefutable, it is fact. Do you think that our government should allow Budweiser to continue to sell their product? As a secondary effect, the cans that Bud come in are found to be radioactive, and anyone who is exposed to them long-term will also develop cancer et al. Do you think that bars, restaurants, grocery stores, convenience stores et al should be allowed to expose people to this carcinogen?

Nicotine is the only reason that 90%+ of smokers smoke. It's a nasty, highly addictive drug. It not only makes people do things that will kill them, it makes them do things that will kill those closest to them and those who just happen to be around them.

I asked this question before, but virtually no one answered:

What are the positive effects of smoking cigarettes? Please list as many good things that cigarettes provide to the user and society? I can't wait to read the replies!

26 X World Champs said:
I see! Do you mean that your local government doesn't have speed limits? They do not license businesses? You can park anywhere YOU choose. You do not pay them any income taxes? How about liquor? Can you drink anywhere you like? How about movies? Can kids in your locality see any film they choose because you do not believe that government has a right to regulate?

I'm sorry but I find your point of view based entirely on one underlying fact, NICOTINE. Take nicotine out of your poison sticks and what do you have? Poison sticks that people won't buy anymore because the stuff that "tastes" good has been removed.

The harsh reality for smokers is that every day that passes their ability to poison others recedes. Their "rights" are reduced, and non-smoker's rights are increased, and that is a trend that will never change.

Personally, if you want to kill yourself slowly due to a drug addiction that defies any sane spin, go for it. All that I ask is that smokers obey the laws of where they live.

Smoking will kill you, whether you're wise enough to accept the truth only you know.

Imagine someone offering you this product that is a known carcinogen, one that will ultimately kill one of every two people who use it long term. Then imagine that despite the obvious health risks you choose to continue ingesting the product because you've been manipulated by a addictive ingredient that makes it very, very hard to stop. That's exactly what millions of American smokers are doing every single day.

Here's a good analogy for you! Let's say that it's discovered that one of two people who drink Budweiser are dying due to a special ingredient that only Bud uses. This ingredient causes cancer, heart disease, asthma, etc. It's discovered in a new long-term study that is irrefutable, it is fact. Do you think that our government should allow Budweiser to continue to sell their product? As a secondary effect, the cans that Bud come in are found to be radioactive, and anyone who is exposed to them long-term will also develop cancer et al. Do you think that bars, restaurants, grocery stores, convenience stores et al should be allowed to expose people to this carcinogen?

Nicotine is the only reason that 90%+ of smokers smoke. It's a nasty, highly addictive drug. It not only makes people do things that will kill them, it makes them do things that will kill those closest to them and those who just happen to be around them.

I asked this question before, but virtually no one answered:

What are the positive effects of smoking cigarettes? Please list as many good things that cigarettes provide to the user and society? I can't wait to read the replies!

So you have taken personal choice and turned it into taxes. Thats a brilliant idea. Your making comparisons to things that are apples to oranges. A speed limit? Sorry peopel are on the road because they have to be they have to get to work. Not to mention roadways are true public places. You have to go from one place to another you need to get on the road. So no bad comparison. Taxes, age appropriate material, comon keep reaching. Doesn't change the fact your either not capable of or to lazt to make decsions for yourself. You choose to let the government tell you your thoughts and decsions. I as an adult want to make personal decisions like were I am going to go. You want your government to make them for you. Good for you.... My local government still thinks I am capable of doing it whereas your obviously does not think you have the ability

Back
Top Bottom